10 replies to this topic

#1 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 06:40 PM

Reports are coming in that Bond girl Carey Lowell has married her long-term boyfriend at a secret ceremony that took place last week in their home. The 41 year old star of 1989's License To Kill, married boyfriend Richard Gere, famous for his role in Pretty Woman.

The event was strictly a family only event, and to prevent the paparazzi catching wind of the wedding, only Carey's daughter from her last marriage, and their son Homer were in attendance for the New York ceremony.

Before landing her role as Pam Bouvier, opposite Timothy Dalton, she was one of Americas most chased after models, doing work for such names as Calvin Klein, and Ralph Lauren to name but a few. Her acting debut came just three years before taking on her later 007 role, when she starred with Robin Williams in Club Paradise.

When she landed her role for License To Kill, Carey became one of the first set of transitional Bond girls, to change the label from the traditional blonde bimbo, to what six years later would appear as the sophisticated and intelligent women that Bond girls are today.

#2 jmafilms1981

jmafilms1981

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 11:09 PM

It's about time they got married...

#3 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 03:17 AM

Gere is an interesting character. I don't agree with a lot of his way out there ideas, but he's made some interesting films.

#4 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 03:26 AM

Interesting how both she and Soto got married in the same year...

Gere does have some strange ideas...anyone heard that one (probably untrue) story about him and the shaved hamster? :)

#5 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 03:31 AM

Holy....oh, God, yes, I have heard that. If that is true...whoa.

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 03:31 AM

You can tell this release was written by somebody who is not familiar with the series. I hate the misperception that the majority of the Bond girls were "blonde bimbos." Women that were Bond's equal or at least not helpless began long before 1989.

Was Pussy Galore a bimbo? Was Tracy a bimbo? How about XXX, Melina Havelock or Octopussy? And neither was the previous girl, Kara Milovy. She was basically an innocent caught up in the action. And just because she was a doctor, Christmas Jones wasn't exactly a Bond equal, most will agree.

#7 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 03:36 AM

Bond girls like Britt Eckland do so much damage to the Bond franchise, because for some dumb reason, people look at her and think, Oh, they all must be like that. I'm still pissed off that they ruined that character. She wasn't a dummy in the books, that's for sure.

#8 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:09 AM

There is no such thing as a 'former' Bond girl. Once a Bond girl always a Bond girl.

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 05:49 AM

Hamsters ***-side (sorry, I had to do that), I could have sworn those two were married years ago. But alas, it appears I was wrong. Not unfrequent occurance.

Anyhoo...congratulations to ever beautiful Carey Lowell-Gere, and the ever multitalented Richard Gere. Here's hoping they have many happy years together.

-- Xenobia

#10 General Gogol

General Gogol

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 10:26 AM

Congrats to Carrie and her new husband. I agree Mr. Asterix Once a Bond girl always a Bond girl. Have a great day!!!!!

#11 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 12:43 AM

Congratulations to Carey and Richard! I too, always thought that they were married. Well, I guess not. Anyway, I hope that they have a long marriage together.