5 replies to this topic

#1 Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

Here's a sad interview of Stephane LEROUGE, a french editor of music who's interested in redescovering lost scores (the translation, by myself, is not very good, I'm afraid...)

Interviewer :
"Several American labels moreover tried to find the Moonraker score tapes, which was recorded in Paris"…

Stephane LEROUGE :
“Here is another major disappointment … It is something annoying enough because a few years ago, the tapes of this movie would have been able to be saved. I began to attend by 1992 recordings in the studio Davout, where Moonraker had been recorded. It is necessary to know that John Barry, at the time, had spent two or three months in Paris to write the music of the movie, which was shot in France because he was coproduced by Eon and Artists Partners France. In fact, tapes complete multitracks had stayed in Davout. And a little more than fifteen years ago, Davout sent a series of letters to producers and music publishers : "you came to work at home formerly. We have here a room filled with tapes, some belong to you maybe. If you do not come to look for them within three months, the not got back tapes will be destroyed. " Certain composers, as Vladimir Cosma or Claude Bolling, rushed at Davout to save their material. Here is in which conditions the complete tapes of Moonraker disappeared :  nobody of the MGM went to get back them. But did those persons in charge receive the letter of Davout? I ignore it. Because, meanwhile, United Artist had closed its office in Paris and its catalog had been transferred to the MGM … Here is how Moonraker remains one of the last ones Graals of John Barry, but inaccessible Graal, fancy”.

Here's a sad interview of Stephane LEROUGE, a french editor of music who's interested in redescovering lost scores (the translation, by myself, is not very good, I'm afraid...)

Interviewer :
"Several American labels moreover tried to find the Moonraker score tapes, which was recorded in Paris"…

Stephane LEROUGE :
“Here is another major disappointment … It is something annoying enough because a few years ago, the tapes of this movie would have been able to be saved. I began to attend by 1992 recordings in the studio Davout, where Moonraker had been recorded. It is necessary to know that John Barry, at the time, had spent two or three months in Paris to write the music of the movie, which was shot in France because he was coproduced by Eon and Artists Partners France. In fact, tapes complete multitracks had stayed in Davout. And a little more than fifteen years ago, Davout sent a series of letters to producers and music publishers : "you came to work at home formerly. We have here a room filled with tapes, some belong to you maybe. If you do not come to look for them within three months, the not got back tapes will be destroyed. " Certain composers, as Vladimir Cosma or Claude Bolling, rushed at Davout to save their material. Here is in which conditions the complete tapes of Moonraker disappeared :  nobody of the MGM went to get back them. But did those persons in charge receive the letter of Davout? I ignore it. Because, meanwhile, United Artist had closed its office in Paris and its catalog had been transferred to the MGM … Here is how Moonraker remains one of the last ones Graals of John Barry, but inaccessible Graal, fancy”.

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :
“Here is another major disappointment … It is something annoying enough because a few years ago, the tapes of this movie would have been able to be saved. I began to attend by 1992 recordings in the studio Davout, where Moonraker had been recorded. It is necessary to know that John Barry, at the time, had spent two or three months in Paris to write the music of the movie, which was shot in France because he was coproduced by Eon and Artists Partners France. In fact, tapes complete multitracks had stayed in Davout. And a little more than fifteen years ago, Davout sent a series of letters to producers and music publishers : "you came to work at home formerly. We have here a room filled with tapes, some belong to you maybe. If you do not come to look for them within three months, the not got back tapes will be destroyed. " Certain composers, as Vladimir Cosma or Claude Bolling, rushed at Davout to save their material. Here is in which conditions the complete tapes of Moonraker disappeared : nobody of the MGM went to get back them. But did those persons in charge receive the letter of Davout? I ignore it. Because, meanwhile, United Artist had closed its office in Paris and its catalog had been transferred to the MGM … Here is how Moonraker remains one of the last ones Graals of John Barry, but inaccessible Graal, fancy”.

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :
“Here is another major disappointment … It is something annoying enough because a few years ago, the tapes of this movie would have been able to be saved. I began to attend by 1992 recordings in the studio Davout, where Moonraker had been recorded. It is necessary to know that John Barry, at the time, had spent two or three months in Paris to write the music of the movie, which was shot in France because he was coproduced by Eon and Artists Partners France. In fact, tapes complete multitracks had stayed in Davout. And a little more than fifteen years ago, Davout sent a series of letters to producers and music publishers : "you came to work at home formerly. We have here a room filled with tapes, some belong to you maybe. If you do not come to look for them within three months, the not got back tapes will be destroyed. " Certain composers, as Vladimir Cosma or Claude Bolling, rushed at Davout to save their material. Here is in which conditions the complete tapes of Moonraker disappeared : nobody of the MGM went to get back them. But did those persons in charge receive the letter of Davout? I ignore it. Because, meanwhile, United Artist had closed its office in Paris and its catalog had been transferred to the MGM … Here is how Moonraker remains one of the last ones Graals of John Barry, but inaccessible Graal, fancy”.

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Sorry, I don't understand why it's impossible to read my text...

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

It's in white! I don't know why...

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

It's in white! I don't know why...

Interviewer :

Stephane LEROUGE :

#2 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

A better translation.

Interviewer :
"Several American labels moreover tried to find the MOONRAKER score tapes, which was recorded in Paris"…

Stephane Lerouge :

“Here's another major disappointment … It's annoying because a few years ago, the tapes of this score could have been saved. I attended 1992 recordings in Studio Davout, where MOONRAKER had been recorded in 1979. It is necessary to know that John Barry, at the time, had spent two or three months in Paris to write the music of the movie, which was shot in France because the film was coproduced by Eon and Les Productions Artistes Associés. In fact, tapes of complete multitracks had stayed in Davout. And a little more than fifteen years ago, Davout sent a series of letters to producers and music publishers : "You worked here previously. We have here a room filled with tapes, some possibly belonging to you. If you do not come to look for them within three months, the unclaimed tapes will be destroyed. " Certain composers, such as Vladimir Cosma or Claude Bolling, rushed to Davout to save their material. This where the complete tapes of MOONRAKER disappeared : nobody at MGM went to collect them. But did the people in charge there receive the letter from Davout? I ignore it. Because, meanwhile, United Artists had closed its office in Paris and its catalogue had been transferred to MGM … Here is how MOONRAKER remains one of the last Holy Grails of John Barry's scores, but a lost one, sadly ”.

Very sad.

However, there is the possibility that John Barry kept his manuscripts for the score with him, and they're currently in house at Centre Island, New York. Once rights were sorted out, it could feasibly be re-recorded.

#3 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

I surely hope so.

Maybe this is a case for the BUYSOUNDTRAX label which seems to have found its niche re-recording scores that are difficult to release in their original form (see "Blade Runner").

#4 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

I surely hope so.

Maybe this is a case for the BUYSOUNDTRAX label which seems to have found its niche re-recording scores that are difficult to release in their original form (see "Blade Runner").

Unfortunately they only seem to re-record with sample libraries, not real orchestras. Tadlow Music did a great job with EL CID in 2008. I say give it to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jAYHaAueY

#5 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

How strange!

CURRENTLY listening to the Moonraker soundtrack, which I've not played in months, and was just thinking about
how short the soundtrack is, then I come on here and see this.

#6 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

I surely hope so.

Unfortunately they only seem to re-record with sample libraries, not real orchestras. Tadlow Music did a great job with EL CID in 2008. I say give it to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jAYHaAueY

Great! Just do it, somebody, please!