8 replies to this topic

#1 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

My friends and I were discussing the product placement in the new films and how every character seems to use a Sony phone, with one of my friends remarking that Bond wouldn't have an Xperia, he'd have an iPhone. I immediately disagreed, opting that Bond would never opt for something as common and restrictive as an iPhone; he'd most likely have a Blackberry or something like it.

Assuming that Daniel Craig's Bond is in fact a 21st Century version of Fleming's Bond (or a reasonable facsimile), what other day-to-day elements would make up his lifestyle? Food, drink, entertainment, etc?

#2 QOS4EVER

QOS4EVER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Bond would use xperia since it stylish yet not common like the IPhone.
He would have a Bravia
and a Cybershot alpha
and a Sony Home Theater System with a Sony Blu-Ray Player
and a Playstation 3
and Vaio
(The proof of the above are in the movies)

he would wear Top class beautifull modern designed suits with a clean and plain design and his suits will avoid short time trends that make it seem dated in the long run. (Unlike the ones in Skyfall)
A beautifull modern Italian designed house

Tom Ford Glasses

#3 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

If we're talking about Fleming's Bond I doubt he'd keep all that consumer trash around. He'd hate mobile phones, arguing - rightfully - only slaves have to suffer constant availability. He'd reluctantly carry one nonetheless, probably looking ordinary enough - take your pick - but coming from Q-branch. It would be encrypted and able to act as a jamming station for the mobile phone cell it's currently used in, preventing enemy communication if needed. It would also break into a razor-sharp fist dagger in emergency, handy during in-flight hostilities should the need arise.

Home entertainment would probably come from Bang & Olufsen but would be used rarely. And I'd opt that Bond doesn't own a TV set. Most of what you can watch there isn't worth the trouble and Bond probably doesn't follow long story-arcs of EastEnders...

I'd even argue Bond wouldn't dress too conservatively. Having all his shirts with short sleeves - as he does in Fleming's books - suggests a practical personality that today would probably prefer a quality selection of off-the-peg items for leisure. As mentioned suits would be timeless and of high quality, but not necessarily come from the fashion stars the films depict.

Bond wouldn't have a FB or twitter account, just an anonymous email address he manages his affairs with; he doesn't even get spam, it's that anonymous.

Bond owns a Harley and a Morgan, but the Harley is a golf cart and the Morgan a 3 Wheeler. Both vehicles are seldom used and hardly ever for Bond's route to the office; normally Bond goes by tube, at times by taxi. Once a year Bond takes part in a golf tournament, only it's survival golf, an obscure cross-golf variant devised by the SAS and involving all kinds of sharp and pointy objects to drive a ball across a stretch of wilderness. An 18 hole course regularly takes approximately ten days to finish. Bond was the first player to break the eight-days limit in 2007, but hasn't been able to repeat the performance since. The fact you have to endure the entire tournament outdoors without equipment and supplies other than your 'golf clubs' and a bottle of water, prevented Bond from playing his best survival golf.

Edited by Dustin, 20 October 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#4 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

If we're talking about Fleming's Bond I doubt he'd keep all that consumer trash around. He'd hate mobile phones, arguing - rightfully - only slaves have to suffer constant availability. He'd reluctantly carry one nonetheless, probably looking ordinary enough - take your pick - but coming from Q-branch. It would be encrypted and able to act as a jamming station for the mobile phone cell it's currently used in, preventing enemy communication if needed. It would also break into a razor-sharp fist dagger in emergency, handy during in-flight hostilities should the need arise.

I agree entirely.

Home entertainment would probably come from Bang & Olufsen but would be used rarely. And I'd opt that Bond doesn't own a TV set. Most of what you can watch there isn't worth the trouble and Bond probably doesn't follow long story-arcs of EastEnders...

Certainly, although I imagine he'd keep a constant eye on Sky News, BBC and CNN as a way of keeping track of what stories have leaked to the press, just as the literary Bond reads the papers.

I also imagine the modern day Bond would be a fan of documentary boxsets and certain HBO series (The Wire, maybe Breaking Bad, etc).

I'd even argue Bond wouldn't dress too conservatively. Having all his shirts with short sleeves - as he does in Fleming's books - suggests a practical personality that today would probably prefer a quality selection of off-the-peg items for leisure. As mentioned suits would be timeless and of high quality, but not necessarily come from the fashion stars the films depict.

I've always thought this of the films as well, but I suspect Bond would indulge depending on the nature of the mission.

Bond wouldn't have a FB or twitter account, just an anonymous email address he manages his affairs with; he doesn't even get spam, it's that anonymous.

Goes without saying. I like to think that he would have many different accounts however, for his various phoney identities.

Bond owns a Harley and a Morgan, but the Harley is a golf cart and the Morgan a 3 Wheeler.

Very good. I really don't mind the idea of him owning a DB5 (a fairly obscure 1960s car in the fictional world where the James Bond films don't exist) or similarly flash vintage sportscar that he won in a card game, but as far as driving to the supermarket goes, I picture him in a far more affordable middle-class vehicle.

#5 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

as far as driving to the supermarket goes, I picture him in a far more affordable middle-class vehicle.

Driving to the... WHAT? ;)

#6 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Driving to the... WHAT? ;)

There's not always time to import the finest Vodka. Sometimes Smirnoff is the only thing going.

#7 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

a Playstation 3

:S

#8 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

a Playstation 3

A dummy, cover for a 'cosmic' level encryption device and communications centre. Also the controller cords work as makeshift-garotte.

#9 QOS4EVER

QOS4EVER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

a Playstation 3

Here's the Evidince

How do you think Bond could shoot like that without hitting Raoul Silva.
Those hours of Call Of Duty really paid in for him.