The Avengers (1960s series)

4 replies to this topic

#1 Redneck007

Redneck007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

I am a huge fan of The Avengers TV series (own all the episodes...original series and New Avengers). After the blockbuster Marvel movie of the same name was released this year is their any concern from fans of this series about it being forgotten? I would also like to get the stench of the 1998 movie out of my mind.

I wish that BBC would reboot the series much like they did with Doctor Who. Maybe not call it The Avengers...but maybe "Steed and Peel" or something similar? They never referred to themselves as The Avengers to my knowledge. Thoughts? Who could play John Steed and Emma Peel?

Edited by Redneck007, 17 October 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#2 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

I think there are few people around today that would truly get how to bring the Avengers to a 2012 audience and it's probably even more unlikely that those people would be the ones in charge of a new show. I'm happy to let sleeping dogs lie, but would love for the original show get the full restoration and high definition treatment.

#3 kronsteens shin

kronsteens shin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Perhaps if they set it in a well-realised 60s Universe and they got the right actors for Steed and Peel (my only - highly irrational - concern about Skyfall is that Ralph Fiennes is there, but he has redeemed himself since the film debacle...) And that they get a Director who understands that fine balance of the whimsical and the deadly that made The Avengers unique. But those are pretty major requirements. Retro films set in an espionage world can work well - look at the recent 'Tinker Tailor' film, but of all shows I can think of, The Avengers required a chemistry for it to work properly and perhaps that formula is now lost to us forever...

#4 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

I *LOVE* The Avengers, but I sincerely hope it never gets re-made again. It's a great series that wonderfully captures its era (or more accurately, creates its own) but it belongs there. It was a mistake to remake it in '98 and it would be a mistake to do it again.

Seriously, what is it with remakes? Who looks at Monty Python, for example, and thinks, "That was great! Let's get together a new bunch of guys and call them Monty Python and I'm sure it'll be great again!"

The Avengers was the right show at the right time, with the right talent and the right people behind the scenes. You can't reproduce that on demand; it either comes together or it doesn't.

I agree it's better to concentrate on preserving the real thing as the treasure it is, instead of spending millions more to further dilute the brand.

#5 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

I also am a big fan of The Avengers. I discovered it on late-night TV back when I was really becoming a huge Bond fan and it fit that need perfectly. One night I saw it right after a network showing of OHMSS.

It's one of my missing links on DVD. As I live in the U.S. and don't have a mult-region DVD player, I don't have but would love one of the recent releases tying into the 50th anniversary some of our Region 2 friends got. I'm holding out for something along these lines as it's currently out of print here and I really don't want the previous A&E release.

I agree it shouldn't be renewed or remade. They tried it with The New Avengers and that should have marked the end. Consider all of the other series that have tried to duplicate the chemistry of Steed and his female partner and notice how it just never compares. I've seen this recently with the mystery series Castle, which doesn't come close. Maybe it could work as a period piece, updating would never work. Then again, why mess with success?