54 replies to this topic

#1 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

Given that it appears that Ralph Fiennes' Gareth Mallory seems to replace Judi Dench's M as the head of MI6 at the end of Skyfall, I thought it might it interesting to debate/discuss what direction fans would like to be taken the character of Mallory as M. Part of me would love for him to be a carbon copy of Fleming's/Bernard Lee's crusty old admiral, but I doubt that will happen. They would have named him Miles Messervy then probably. How would you like to see the character re-invented?

As discussed in other threads, I rather liked the idea of Mallory being a Whitehall mandarin type, but given the reference to Mallory's military training in the Bond On Set book and his courage in physically leaping to M's defence at the Inquiry, I can't see him as being such a slimy character. He seems too honourable for that. Also, the way he asks Bond about not staying dead in the trailers seems to have a knowingness to it, a certain compassion that one old soldier would have for another. So maybe, we are getting Messervy version 2.0? Thoughts?

Edited by TheManwiththeWaltherPPK, 16 October 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#2 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:15 AM

I want to give this further thought tomorrow, because I've been wondering about this too. The one thing that I'll say to kick things off is that if EON have secured an actor of the repute and stature of Ralph Fiennes as M then they will obviously want to use him as effectively and liberally as possible in BOND 24 onwards. Naturally, we've had this problem with Judi Dench too, which means she has kept popping up in increasingly unlikely parts of the globe to dress down Bond. Therefore, I think the writers should shoehorn something into Mallory's history that means he has skills or experience that can relevantly be slotted into the plots to feel like he's a key part of the new MI6 machine, rather than simply the man sitting upstairs moving the pieces around.

Furthermore, I'm already excited about the potential for Fiennes - Harris, Fiennes - Whishaw, Fiennes - Craig, Fiennes - Kinnear scenes in BOND 24. The fleshing out of those working relationships could be a fun little vehicle for the writers to play around with in developing the next couple of films.

#3 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

I think there will have to be a new twist and/or tension between the two. Something that brings a discernible originality to the new version of M. They have done well to put a conspicuous twist on other reintroduced characters (or new characters with the same title) M would almost certainly be afforded the same, particularly with an actor like Fiennes committing to a number of films.

#4 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

Seems a shame we'll only have to more films to explore the relationship between Craig's Bond and this new M. Unless of course he signed on to do more...

Wishful thinking perhaps.

#5 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

The one thing that I'll say to kick things off is that if EON have secured an actor of the repute and stature of Ralph Fiennes as M then they will obviously want to use him as effectively and liberally as possible in BOND 24 onwards. Naturally, we've had this problem with Judi Dench too, which means she has kept popping up in increasingly unlikely parts of the globe to dress down Bond.

God forbid Ralph Fiennes popping up in increasingly unlikly parts of the globe to "dress down" Bond. The Silva chest/leg touch is excrutiaing enough ;)

#6 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

The one thing that I'll say to kick things off is that if EON have secured an actor of the repute and stature of Ralph Fiennes as M then they will obviously want to use him as effectively and liberally as possible in BOND 24 onwards. Naturally, we've had this problem with Judi Dench too, which means she has kept popping up in increasingly unlikely parts of the globe to dress down Bond.

God forbid Ralph Fiennes popping up in increasingly unlikly parts of the globe to "dress down" Bond. The Silva chest/leg touch is excrutiaing enough ;)

Surely you'd forgive Fiennes having a classic Bernard Lee-style makeshift office... in an aeroplane bathroom.

In all seriousness, I hope Fiennes is more of a Robert Brown type. Namely, a bit of a grump without being ridiculous, direct, authoritative, confined (or conFienned) to his office, and above all, not involved in any of the plots.

#7 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:56 AM

Surely you'd forgive Fiennes having a classic Bernard Lee-style makeshift office... in an aeroplane bathroom.

In all seriousness, I hope Fiennes is more of a Robert Brown type. Namely, a bit of a grump without being ridiculous, direct, authoritative, confined (or conFienned) to his office, and above all, not involved in any of the plots.

I´ve heard he is to be sort of a Tory fellow, which would sit nicelly with him sitting behind the mahogani desk and looking grump and imperialistic. I´d like that. A conservative father figure to a somewhat liberal or even anarchist indulgent spy with heavy trauma in his past, looking to drown it all in sex and alchool.

#8 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

Haha, wonder if EON have contacted Qantas yet to ask...

#9 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

Haha, wonder if EON have contacted Qantas yet to ask...

Nah, Branson would take it personally ;)

#10 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

So maybe, we are getting Messervy version 2.0? Thoughts?

Hopefully yes!

#11 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

I think we know Finnes M is not Messey but a completely new character........I am guessing Finnes's M is either a Major or Colonel in the British Army or Captain in the Navy.........unless Mallory is some alias for Sir Miles Messey

#12 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

Of course he's not Messervy, when I referenced to him as possibly "Messervy version 2.0" I just meant in terms of characterization - similar attitude and relationship with Bond and all that. Apologies if I was unclear. However, given Mallory's military small arms training, I think an army background actually does sound quite plausible. It would also be an acknowledgement that the RN isn't what used to be and no longer has the same position of honour over the other armed forces. For instance, Princes William and Harry respectively enlisted in the Air Force and Army, whereas previous generations of the Royal Family almost always went into the Royal Navy.

Interestingly, the BOS book also mentions Mallory's impeccable tailoring in addition to his military training. I found that interesting because it almost makes Mallory seem like an older reflection of Bond. Maybe, instead of a parental figure like Messervy or Dench M, Mallory will be portrayed as having an older brother relationship with Bond considering their greater closeness in age.

#13 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Despite Fiennes being an excellent actor I would prefer the new M not to feature too much into the coming storylines.

But it would be interesting to have him be rather cruel towards Bond, cold and distant, always ready to send him to dangerous missions without hesitating. The maternal quality of Dench-M has been played out. It´s time for Bond to have not a nice boss anymore.

#14 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Naturally, we've had this problem with Judi Dench too, which means she has kept popping up in increasingly unlikely parts of the globe to dress down Bond.

Hasn't M always popped up in various parts of the world?

Indeed it might be easier to name the films where he has been exclusively London office based.

#15 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Naturally, we've had this problem with Judi Dench too, which means she has kept popping up in increasingly unlikely parts of the globe to dress down Bond.

Hasn't M always popped up in various parts of the world?

Indeed it might be easier to name the films where he has been exclusively London office based.

Yes, I should have been more specific really. I always preferred the scenarios when the whole MI6 operation sprung up in unusual locations (Hong Kong harbour, an Egyptian temple, a Brazilian monastery) rather than M wandering around a Bolivian luxury hotel or a Russian housing estate simply to exchange a couple of minutes' conversation with Bond. I'm not wholly against the concept, but I think there should be a level of grounding to it.

#16 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

It would be nice if Bond made him go to places his imperialist a*** doesn´t want to go. Ok...that sounded really awful. What I meant to say, was that if Fiennes was forced to travel, showing some disregard for it, it could establish an interesting relationship between them. The Robert Brown LTK approach "This is not a country club 007" would be the most welcomed one IMO.

#17 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

I really hope they don't kill off M... but you never know! I mean Judi Dench plays the character perfectly!

#18 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

I really hope they don't kill off M... but you never know! I mean Judi Dench plays the character perfectly!

I wouldn´t read further if you don´t want to spoil yourself. Of course, if you´re not averse to spoilers, do carry on ;)

Spoiler

#19 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Wow, I really love Mallory in the new B-roll footage. The way he talks to Bond about his injury and how it might affect others. The implication is that Bond should recognize that he is in no shape to go back out in the field and that his sense of duty may do more harm than good. Nevertheless, Mallory says it so calmly and, seemingly, with compassion for Bond's situation, but it is also rather passive aggressive and manipulative. I wonder what this says about Mallory's leadership style. It's rather different from Bernard Lee's gruffness or Dench's combination of icyness and bluster.

Edited by TheManwiththeWaltherPPK, 17 October 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#20 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Does any one else think that when Silva is talking about M sending Bond after him, knowing he’s not ready “Mommy was very bad.” He’s hacked into M’s computer and discovered that Bond has not passed by 'the skin of his teeth'? That M has falsified the fit for duty report.

#21 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

Does any one else think that when Silva is talking about M sending Bond after him, knowing he’s not ready “Mommy was very bad.” He’s hacked into M’s computer and discovered that Bond has not passed by 'the skin of his teeth'? That M has falsified the fit for duty report.

Honestly, I could see that. It makes sense based on what has been said about Mallory shooting M a knowing glance during Bond's evaluations. He knows that Bond is wreck who is not ready, but suspects that M will re-instate him anyways, hence Mallory feeling the need to force himself into the conversation with the little speech about pride and the jab about Agent Ronson and others depending on Bond.

#22 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

I definitely thiink Finnes's mallory will get more screentime but he will only stay in London, and besides briefing Bond on his new assignment, I could see him meeting with the foreign secretary/PM about the situation when needed...and I could use talk with Bond for a second time on the phone or video conference about a update on the mission. he is too talented to have 5 minutes more like 10 to 15 mins at least.

#23 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

he is too talented to have 5 minutes more like 10 to 15 mins at least.

The Harry Potter films got away with continually having extremely talented thesps crop up for sometimes no more than 30 seconds.

#24 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

I would say that Finnes as the new M would get more screentime in Bond 24 as we don't know much about him and decrease his screentime in Bond 25 and beyond. It also seems that the writers use real life inspiration for Finnes from being head of intelligence and security chair to Mi6 chief like Judi was when there the first female head of the security service......

#25 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Too much.

Also, this thread's about M in future movies, i.e. as played by Ralph Fiennes.

#26 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Gerard 123, please - I know this is a spoiler thread, but major spoilers should still be put in spoiler tags! You've put major spoilers in three threads now!

#27 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Given that it appears that Ralph Fiennes' Gareth Mallory seems to replace Judi Dench's M as the head of MI6 at the end of Skyfall, I thought it might it interesting to debate/discuss what direction fans would like to be taken the character of Mallory as M. Part of me would love for him to be a carbon copy of Fleming's/Bernard Lee's crusty old admiral, but I doubt that will happen. They would have named him Miles Messervy then probably. How would you like to see the character re-invented?

I wish I had never read this . . . especially if this movie means the end of Judi Dench as M.

This has been a problem in the Bond franchise since Bernard Lee's M first appeared in a sub in Hong Kong harbor in YOLT. Why is Dench's M the only one blamed for this?

#28 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

It wouldn't be the first time Bond got "a clean bill of health" so I could totally see M passing him because he is the only one she can trust or she thinks he deserves a second chance.

#29 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

#30 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Dammit Matt! You spoiled that scene for me.