10 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

The last time a Bond film had an instrumental title song was for OHMSS. What do you think of an instrumental title song for Bond 24? And who do you think should compose it? And how would it sound like, I wonder?

#2 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

The only reason the song was instrumental was because John Barry found it IMPOSSIBLE to come up with a lyric that rhymed with either "Majesty" or "Secret Service".

#3 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hmm, I see. Fair enough. But won't an instrumental title track work in today's day and age, I wonder? To be precise for Bond 24? It would be an interesting experiment.

#4 junkanoo

junkanoo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hmm, I see. Fair enough. But won't an instrumental title track work in today's day and age, I wonder? To be precise for Bond 24? It would be an interesting experiment.

It's very easy to come up with 'experiments' when it's not your dime. They could also try *not* doing a pre-credit sequence in "today's day and age" too. But, if I'm the producer, I wouldn't wreck the Bond Brand or try to fix what's not broke. They don't need to shoot themselves in their own foot.

#5 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Yes, I know that, but it was just a thought.

#6 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

I don't know. OHMSS had one of the best Bond themes. I wouldn't mind an instrumental title song. But I think they should go on with songs.

The only reason the song was instrumental was because John Barry found it IMPOSSIBLE to come up with a lyric that rhymed with either "Majesty" or "Secret Service".

I knew this, but why didn't they just change the song's name (like they did with the previous Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, or Nobody Does It Better, You Know My Name etc.)?

#7 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

An instrumental can sound good if the composer can mix a bondian tune without it blatantly being the James Bond theme. I noticed a few movies having the same title theme as their general music. I figure they can do a better job.

#8 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Another Way to Die would have benefited from being an instrumental.

#9 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

It does work quite well as an instrumental. The vocals are childish at times (seriously "Bang! Bang! Bang!") but the melody itself is not terrible.

#10 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

It does work quite well as an instrumental. The vocals are childish at times (seriously "Bang! Bang! Bang!") but the melody itself is not terrible.

Now that you make me think about it, a lot of Bond songs have great melodies but terrible lyrics (e.g All Time High, Die Another Day).

#11 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Now that you make me think about it, a lot of Bond songs have great melodies but terrible lyrics (e.g All Time High, Die Another Day).

Oh yes, it is something I've come to notice as well...