This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Craig, Bond 24, and the question of excess.

48 replies to this topic

#31 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

I would think it would be more valuable to compare the third movie of each Bond. Goldfinger, TSWLM, and TWINE. All three are examples of quality Bond movies where the Bond actor seemed to settle comfortably into his role. With Craig's third outing a month away I am expecting something really special.

No doubt it would be an interesting discussion. But I'm always interested in looking towards the future. Especially once we knew for sure that Craig would be back for a fourth film.

#32 Tony_OO_Black

Tony_OO_Black

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

Watching Skyfall, I definitely think Craig's fourth movie will increase the glamour and spectacle - it's the natural way to go, I think, by the end.

His films will always be grounded though, have an element of grit in the mix. You'll never see Craig in space, or giant laser beams chasing him, but I do sense they might throw a genuine supervillain at him next time around. As long as they maintain Skyfall's fun but personal tone, it could be fantastic.

#33 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Intersting speculation.. I believe Craig will break that trend though..

#34 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

As long as they maintain Skyfall's fun but personal tone, it could be fantastic.

The "this time it's personal... again" angle is one I want to see gone.

#35 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

As long as they maintain Skyfall's fun but personal tone, it could be fantastic.

The "this time it's personal... again" angle is one I want to see gone.

Yes, please!

#36 Tony_OO_Black

Tony_OO_Black

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

They don't need to repeat themselves, but the weakest Bond movies are the ones - for the most part - where you could throw in any other 00 and it'd make no difference.

Skyfall, CR, GoldenEye, OHMSS - to me they're all great because they mean something to Bond as a character. There's just more depth. That's what I want to see stay, not a return to the recent Brosnan DAD days where it meant [censored] all.

#37 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Skyfall, CR, GoldenEye, OHMSS - to me they're all great because they mean something to Bond as a character.

It helped that they were exceptions rather than the rule, if you get what I mean. An emotional, character-based Bond film is fine once in a blue moon, but do it all the time and it becomes overkill. It cheapens it.

#38 Tony_OO_Black

Tony_OO_Black

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

I do see what you mean; if they could blend some emotional depth into every film, without it necessarily being a 'personal quest', then we'd have every Bond film be getting 5 stars like most people are giving Skyfall right now.

#39 Armand Fancypants

Armand Fancypants

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

We can always go back to the primary Bond girl being the one with the "intriguing" and emotional story. FYEO, TLD, and to a lesser extent FRWL and GE go down this path. QoS tries to but fails, perhaps LALD as well. The way OHMSS pulls this off is flawless, but then that becomes very personal for Bond.

I tend to prefer that approach, I think it allows for a fairly rich portrayal of Bond himself without him falling in love or having any sort of significant emotional involvement himself or "personal" angle... I prefer Bond to be either the weathered voice of reason having learned from past mistakes (FYEO) or something of a manipulator who is trying to pry his way into the villain's plot (TLD and TB for that matter).

#40 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

We can always go back to the primary Bond girl being the one with the "intriguing" and emotional story. FYEO, TLD, and to a lesser extent FRWL and GE go down this path. QoS tries to but fails, perhaps LALD as well. The way OHMSS pulls this off is flawless, but then that becomes very personal for Bond.

Yes, I´d say this is the way to do it. Construct a brilliant story outside Bond´s world and then bring him in. Very Fleming now that I think of it.. Good call Armand.

#41 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing Craig in space.

#42 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing Craig in space.

I would. And no more death rays from outer space as well, please.

#43 Hitmonk

Hitmonk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

As good as Skyfall is, its definitely time for a rest from the "This Time It's Personal / Been Betrayed by an Insider at MI6" kind of approach. Agree with Armand Fancypants (except that Camille’s backstory in QoS was not a failure) - would definitely like Bond 24 to go down and expand upon the themes of TLD in which Bond is assigned a task that he’s not totally comfortable with.

#44 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

Personally, I think the Craig era could do with a quantum of excess.

#45 Nick Bone

Nick Bone

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Nothing against Bond 24 being "epic" as long as it doesn´t contain space weapons, space lasers, space stations, space satellites, space, volcanoes, WWIII schemes, stolen nuclear devices etc.

A future Bond film can be an epic without being OTT and ridiculous. What I want from the past is SPECTRE and Blofeld. With them updated properly you can do a film that´s epic but not stupid and campy. Good old hard espionage thriller with fantastic locations, some marvellous action and a big but realistic plot containing SPECTRE and Enst Stavro Blofeld. And maybe a little more sex...

#46 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'm not entirely sure they are going to go to excess with Bond 24, as this is not really Craig's style. However things are now set-up and I suspect they may play it more safe. No doubt they might try and re-emulate what they feel worked with SkyFall with "what is happening in the world right now" and make it a bit bigger etc etc. But personally I hope they continue push the boat out a bit more in terms of the characters (but not the it's personal angle all over again). I'm sure they will be trying to get a fair few of the old SkyFall team back again, which mostly hinges on Mendes (and his desire/availability to do it).

#47 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

How about Bond going to the moon and fighting space aliens who want to vaporize the earth with their death ray because it blocks their view of Venus?

#48 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Sounds legit.

#49 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm sure there's a very real urge to try and top Skyfall with the next film. If they can avoid that urge and jus set out making a great film, I think they'll succeed in topping it regardless.