This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

007 MAGAZINE issue #55 - Now available to order!

10 replies to this topic

#1 007 Magazine

007 Magazine

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

Available from: http://www.007magazine.co.uk/007_magazine.htm
  • “It was the best job in the world!”
    Over the course of a memorable evening in Mayfair, legendary photographer TERRY O’NEILL talked with LUKE WILLIAMS about his experiences working with five James Bonds (and over 20 Bond girls!), as well as explaining how Frank Sinatra changed his career and why the way to Sean Connery’s heart was through golf! (Includes a photo preview of Terry O’Neill’s book ALL ABOUT BOND, published in September 2012.)
  • Will BOND 23 rise or fall?
    In October 2012, James Bond will finally return to the big screen, after a four-year absence, in the 23rd film in the series – SkyFall. LUKE WILLIAMS examines what is known so far about the Sam Mendes helmed feature (Features all the latest SkyFall imagery).
  • THE SEARCH FOR BOND: How the 007 role was won and lost!
    Only six men can lay claim to wearing the famous Savile Row tuxedo but hundreds more came within an inch of the 007 role. In this new exclusive four-part series, ROBERT SELLERS (author of the controversial book Battle for Bond) tells the extraordinary story of how cinema’s most famous role was cast, featuring exclusive contributions from Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Sam Neill, Ian Ogilvy, Oliver Tobias, Michael Billington, Adrian Paul, Peter Snow, Michael Craig, Rikki Lee Travolta, Julian Glover, Michael Jayston and many others. (Featuring many never-before-featured facts)
  • “Balloon, mein herr?”
    LUKE WILLIAMS examines the fascinating parallels between the film versions of Graham Greene’s The Third Man (1949) and Ian Fleming’s The Living Daylights (1987).

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

Ordered!

I was just paging through some old OO7s the other day.

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

Looks splendid.

#4 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

Yup - ordered too.

Does look good.

#5 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

The above magazine arrived today and I must admit to having fairly devoured it.

The promise of the advertised contents was totally upheld with four superb articles penned by Luke Williams and Robert Sellers. I have mentioned in times past that I thought in Williams, Rye had the perfect scribing partnership to Rye's magazine production qualities and nowhere has this been more ably demonstrated than in this product.

The Terry O'Neill interview has sold me on the idea of purchasing the book that he has created in time for this year's anniversary, the Skyfall article while perhaps a shade on the down side of hopes and expectations was nonetheless illustrative of someone's knowledge of the canon, and his Third Man article is most certainly a product of research and dedication.

Where it has become really interesting in partnership with the above, is in the securing of the writing talents of one Robert Sellers, fresh from his tour de force Thunderball book - a book that no self respecting Bond fan should have missing from his shelves. A juicy four part look at the who-could-have-been's in the lead role of Bond that commences, not unreasonably, at the time of Connery's tenure.

Indeed this magazine is just so chock full of information that it has understandably reduced somewhat the photographic content compared to magazines past.

There was also a wonderful afterword dedicated to Ian Fleming that appears uncredited, although in the Contents, Mark Hazard's name is mentioned as a contributor.

All in all, a superb product that must absolutely be supported in perpetuity. A very big Well Done to all concerned.

#6 Gwynplaine

Gwynplaine

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

The new issue arrived here today too, Simon, and I couldn't agree more. Others may promise us the moon..."007 Magazine" always delivers. Graham Rye (no doubt burning the midnight oil as usual to bring us the very best in Bondian publishing) has woven together yet another triumphant issue. Under his discerning, ever-reliable eye, the combination of thoughtful, interesting articles (by a small team of talented writers) with numerous previously unseen illustrations seldom fails to put a little sparkle into this particular fan's day. The Gold Medal in this new one without doubt goes to the Terry O'Neill interview (amidst a number of upcoming titles I shall probably avoid due to budgetary constraints, I'll definitely be buying this book!), followed mere paces behind by the short, yet inspired Ian Fleming tribute, which closes this issue and takes the Silver. Where the Skyfall coverage may fall short on "fresh" illustrations (printed media always falling foul to the immediacy of the Internet), if that stunning DC cover shot alone doesn't rank this issue high among the fastest sellers yet, there's simply no justice. So snap this one up while you can, no Bondian bookshelf is complete without it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to read it all over again.

#7 lgw007

lgw007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Good to hear this positive feedback, Simon and Gwynplaine.

I'm glad you both enjoyed the issue and my contributions.

Incidentally, I've just read the Robert Sellers article for the first time. As a 007 Magazine writer myself I might be a bit biased, but I thought it was sensational. In fact, I don't think you'll find a better or more definitive account of the original casting process for Bond anywhere. There's tons of info and quotes in there that I had never heard about before. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next three parts!

Re-reading my Skyfall article (which I wrote pre-Olympics and pre-the recent trailer, I can see, Simon, that maybe my expectation level WAS a bit on the low side - I have to say the latest trailer looks sensational! But then trailers always do! I certainly hope that it's a winner and feel more optimistic now about Skyfall than when I wrote the article!

One last point - if anyone here hasn't yet emailed their votes in for 007 Mag's Greatest Bond film ever poll do so quickly - the poll closes on 1 September.

Luke Williams, 007 Magazine
http://www.007magazi...s_bond_poll.htm

#8 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Ah - I didn't know you were a member on these boards. Good to see you around.

Can I ask, who wrote the Afterword on Fleming?

#9 lgw007

lgw007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

You know what, Simon, I'm not sure who wrote the Fleming piece (which was also cracking, I thought). Mark Hazard is a pseudonym I guess! (Unless there's someone out there with the same name as Bond's cover name in the novel TMWTGG (which would be pretty cool!)

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

Sensational issue! Great work, Luke.

Loved the Lazenby Jill St. John stuff.

#11 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Mark Hazard is a pseudonym I guess! (Unless there's someone out there with the same name as Bond's cover name in the novel TMWTGG (which would be pretty cool!)

Well this Mark Hazard has written for Bond fan magazines in the past (including 007) but this time it wasn't I.