18 replies to this topic

#1 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 02:04 PM

This came up in another post, and I thought that I'd start a thread with the purpose of discussing: will David Arnold be returning to score for the next Bond film. Now, one person on this board, apparantly not much of an Arnold fan, has argued that unlike after scoring TND and TWINE, Arnold was NOT asked back by Broccoli and Wilson to come back to score the next (this was reported in the interview with Paul Tonks), and that this means that he isn't welcome back. Personally, and this is how Arnold saw it, this means that Arnold is now part of the "Bond Family", and I think that after three excellent scores like the ones he produced, Wilson and co. expect him to come back for Bond 21.

And why shouldn't he? With TND, he brought back the Bond sound. In TWINE, he tweaked it a bit to get us prepared for what would be in store for Die Another Day, which most of us have now heard and have been blown away. With the DAD score, he has reinvented Bond music, and has brought Bond into the new (well, somewhat new) milennium with a bang. Welcome to the 21st century, 007.

#2 MBmaster

MBmaster

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 04:03 PM

I think he should return. The more I listen to the dad soundtrack, the better I think it is. He has done a great job on tnd and twine, I still think the twine soundtrack is better, but dad is so very good too, and I think for those modern movies we need arnold. Barry is the best, but that was years ago. David Arnold, go you!

#3 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 04:17 PM

Exactly - Arnold is our modern-day John Barry.

I would love to see him do an instrumental theme for Bond 21, possibly with Propellerheads (a la OHMSS). I think that would give the next film a great edge...

#4 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 04:25 PM

I think they should bring in John Williams...........

j/k of course....:)

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 05:48 PM

I dare say it will be a great soundtrack and will work superbly in the film;however I find the fact that he has repeated so many of his work from the previous two disconcerting. Hovercraft is just the TND climax with a bit of Submarine thrown in (even the beat is from TND) and so on. I really don't understand his thinking.

#6 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 06:25 PM

Jack, I didn't mean to imply that Arnold would not be welcomed back. I'm sure he is well liked. I like his work on Bond - but as I've said before his music sounds too much like so many other composers work, not only Barry's. From that interview that you mentioned, I don't hold with this theory that because they have not asked him back at a time when he usually does know one way or the other that that is to be taken as confirmation that he will continue on for years.

#7 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 01:16 AM

I don't mind if he comes back. Sometimes straight forward subtle scores work well if its a strong story, like Licence to Kill.

Depending the story and ideas they have for 21, music and soundtrack will be a factor to the story, and Arnold might just not be the flavour, sometimes fresh blood is good.

Although in a way I can't let go of John Barry magic, if he's still alive, do one for old time sake.

#8 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 03:58 AM

I don't quite get all the hoopla. The DAD score is quite serviceable. Not great but decent. Hopefully it will have more impact when I see it married to the picture. But as far as his last entries go, he is simply serviceable. Arnold's strength is as a PRODUCER and an ARRANGER not as a COMPOSER. He is a master of bombast, rhythm, and blast but he lacks Barry's critical gift - MELODY. Do not get me wrong, I like what he does. He is better than most working composers out there that get a shot to compose in this hight music-supervised world. He just is not a melody man.

#9 ChromeFinger

ChromeFinger

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 10:09 AM

but one thing I would like to see from him is a new recognisable theme that gets repeated in future films - much like the James Bond Theme and the 007 theme - so he can leave a lasting mark on the legacy that other future - yeah I know that is heresy - can pick up cues from

ChromeFinger

#10 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, I would like to see David Arnold write a theme that is repeated in later entries. Although, so far Arnold has used some similar themes in the DAD score from the first two, and as you can tell, people are very critical of him for it. Arnold for Bond 21.

#11 Zero Zero

Zero Zero

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 07:16 PM

I have enjoyed Arnold's work going back as far as Stargate. I think he's the man at the moment as far as Bond music goes. He'll be around for years scoring these movies (As Barry was!). I would like to see the producers giving him another stab at the Title song again. I will admit that I liked both "Surrender" and "TWINE", and would like to hear him pen something (With Don Black possibly?) a little heavier without going too far!

#12 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:13 AM

Agreed - Arnold is my favorite composer (with Danny Elman not too far behind - his score for Red Dragon was incredible). I have all of his albums (well, all that are available in the US and then some). Surrender is one of my favorite Bond themes, and as for TWINE, well, it is okay. I'm able to enjoy it while watching the film, but cannot listen to it on my own for some reason. I just go right to the score. Personally, I want to see Arnold do an instrumental theme...

#13 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 10:20 AM

I like Elfman too. But his score to Red Dragon will set him back from films for a time! Jesus, talk about cilched? He was an experiment.

#14 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 07:43 PM

Not really. He is already going to be working on the next Tim Burton movie (Big Fish, I believe is the name of it), as well as a film called "Chicago", and "The Amazing Spider-Man" (Spider-Man). What I loved about his Red Dragon score was that it was a tribute to the Hitchcock films and their scores.

#15 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 12:40 AM

I think David Arnold definitely should come back for Bond 21.
I mean, he just took Bond music to a new level and I don't know if a new composer would follow this new direction, especially John Williams who is, in my opinion, the exact opposite of Arnold. He's a lot more traditional and that certainly wouldn't help James Bond to become a bit "fresher". Of course it would be interesting to hear a Williams-007 score, but I have a no- good feeling about it.
Same thing with Elfman. The style of the undisputed master of the chorus :) is suitable for dramatic, mysterious and sad movies like Batman, Edward Scissorhands or Mission Impossible, but I don't think he, as well as Williams, would do well with action tracks.
Also: the last thing I want to hear is the Bond Theme with a Batman- chorus:cool:

#16 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 10:41 AM

Yes,i wil see Arnold return,but as he not Avaible is,than wil i see Danny Elfman (no Batman tune as by Spiderman please !!),John William's or Eric Serra (Goldeneye) do the music.
Mabey Paul Oakenfold to,but no rock and trance in it.

#17 C. Tounes

C. Tounes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 04:33 PM

His TWINE score was perfection, but DAD was too average.

#18 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 05:32 AM

I love all of his Bond scores, and at the moment I can't stop listening to the DAD score. I really cannot wait to get an expanded edition CD, because there is so much music in the movie that is not on the soundtrack that I just love.

#19 Le Chiffre

Le Chiffre

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 04:39 PM

I like David Arnold very much, and respect him highly for the work he has done for the Bond music, taking it into the new century, but alas for mr. Arnold, I still think Barry's themes are superior and have the true Bondian feel.

So, I would like to see John Barry back for Bond 21, even if it is just for one time. And since Arnold is a huge Barry fan, why can't they join forces and work together? Barry will bring in his classic Bond themes, and Arnold will add the modern twist to it. And indeed, an instrumental theme like OHMSS for Bond 21 would be great! (Propellerheads?)