This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

A Doctor No-type film: will it work today?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Compared to the hyper energy of the later films, the first entry to the franchise feels so...different. Different from all the others that succeeded it, even FRWL. It is my favourite Connery Bond movie. I wonder if a Bond film with such a slow, laid-back pacing will work today. For large stretches of the film, we see Bond alone: investigating, laying bait, setting a trap, etc. James is almost a detective in this film. In particular, the fingerprints scene and the scene leading up to Professor Dent's killing: Bond sitting in darkness, playing solitaire, waiting for Dent to arrive: priceless.

Just a thought that occurred to me; I don't know if I've put it properly in words.

#2 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

I really wish it could, but I'm not sure it would.

The early 60's were just a laid-back time in general I'd say, so no doubt the film somewhat reflected the actual times. I'd agree that Doctor No definitely feels significantly different from any other film and like you said, very simply detective-feeling. That is one of the reasons I love the film. It's Bond, his gun, and his wit. Very much 'meat and potatoes' type of Bond film, or in other words, nothing too flashy, which unfortunately makes me think it wouldn't work today...

It wasn't a majorly based action film if you ask me, I'd say it was closer to a thriller (much like the novels themselves). Action in Bond movies these days is heavily demanded, again because of the times we live in.

#3 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

With the general audience? Depends. As a Bond film I doubt anything close to DN stands a chance in the modern market. There is too little action, globe-trotting, glamour for it to meet with what casual viewers expect from a Bond film today. As a thriller in general? Could well work, why not. Following the protagonist, keeping him close company during the investigation and trying to solve the riddles with him is perhaps not an entirely fresh approach. But with some adaptation and giving the audience a reason to care for the protagonist it's still a strong concept. THE MIGHTY QUINN, DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS or more recently MEMENTO are all based on a similar concept, to side the viewer with the hero and let the audience try to guess with him.

Some fans call for years for a Bond film with less blockbuster potential and a change to a more suspense oriented direction. Unfortunately chances are such a film - if it ever came - would be called 'artsy' and 'pretentious' then, and in the end probably face the howling fury of the very people originally calling for it.

#4 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Yeah my favorite too and pretty much would not be done today. Heck if it was made in the latter 60s it would have featured a lot more action and the checklist stuff again. That is why its so perfectly unique. Even as it stands on its own as just "a movie" and not part of the ones that followed it, it is really good. I wonder what it was thought of in 1962 itself.

#5 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

My first Bond was YOLT on it's first release. So I caught up with the earlier Bond's retrospectively in double bill re-releases. Both Dr No and From Russia With Love seemed vastly different and old fashioned compared with Goldfinger onwards even from the vantage point of the late sixties and early seventies. It was really noticeably when paired with a later film. I first saw Dr No paired with YOLT in the late sixties and From Russia With Love with Goldfinger around '72 so Diamonds was out by then. Both films seemed much older than their companion films. FRWL really disappointed me when I first saw it because my Father was always raving to me about it being the best Bond. It was my last to see of the series up to that time '72. So slow. Both films I now love with From Russia my favourite. Reading Fleming and maturity helped.

Edited by MarkA, 03 July 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#6 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

If the movie was better written than "DR. NO", perhaps it would work. Considering the writing quality of the 1962 movie, it's possible.