6 replies to this topic

#1 Kristian

Kristian

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

Here we go again: Marc Forster [censored]ing about with another already great script and demanding it be rewritten - and having it come back and bite him in azz.

Last year, he said this:

http://www.shocktill...ws.php?id=21013

Now this is happening:

http://www.digitalsp...r-rewrites.html

Edited by Kristian, 10 June 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#2 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Dear god, not Damon Lindelof. I seriously cannot stand that hack. He ruined Prometheus.

#3 Kristian

Kristian

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Dear god, not Damon Lindelof. I seriously cannot stand that hack. He ruined Prometheus.

I wouldn't say "ruined", Ace. But I agree that PROMETHEUS was the biggest disappointment of the summer.

I'm a huge fan of the WWZ book, and was excited when it was announced to be filmed. Then Marc Forster was named as a director, and I just KNEW he was going to pillage the story. Now, it's coming back to bite him. Nearly two months of reshoots, and a bump from Christmas to Summer because of the delays....

#4 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Since we can´t know for sure who is to blame for the re-shoots (the writer? the director? the star? the studio? test audiences?) one should wait and see. Re-shoots have made movies better. But sometimes they indicate that a movie is in trouble.

To bring in Damon Lindelof now - AND making this a press release (instead of having him tinker with the last act in secrecy) - smells of desperation IMO. I don´t hate Lindelof at all - I think he is a very capable writer, cursed however by shameless self-marketing (which, however, seems to work pretty well). But getting him (obviously for a ton of money) to re-write something at the last minute is not a sign of confidence for everybody involved.

Bumping the film from Christmas to summer, however, is a very smart move. It always was a stupid idea to put this in the Christmas slot. Does the majority of moviegoes want to see zombies to get into the holiday spirit? Of course not.

And, coming back to the Marc Forster-issue... is he in control of this? Or did the studio force this on him?

The QOS situation was totally different, by the way. A script that was not finished and could not be finished by writers´ guild-writers.

#5 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Since we can´t know for sure who is to blame for the re-shoots (the writer? the director? the star? the studio? test audiences?) one should wait and see. Re-shoots have made movies better. But sometimes they indicate that a movie is in trouble.

To bring in Damon Lindelof now - AND making this a press release (instead of having him tinker with the last act in secrecy) - smells of desperation IMO. I don´t hate Lindelof at all - I think he is a very capable writer, cursed however by shameless self-marketing (which, however, seems to work pretty well). But getting him (obviously for a ton of money) to re-write something at the last minute is not a sign of confidence for everybody involved.

Bumping the film from Christmas to summer, however, is a very smart move. It always was a stupid idea to put this in the Christmas slot. Does the majority of moviegoes want to see zombies to get into the holiday spirit? Of course not.

And, coming back to the Marc Forster-issue... is he in control of this? Or did the studio force this on him?

The QOS situation was totally different, by the way. A script that was not finished and could not be finished by writers´ guild-writers.

I liked his work on Lost, no doubt about that, but I see where you're coming from. I believe Brad Pitt is control, he is producing, if not, then it is the studio. I remember that during filming for QOS, Josh Zetumer was brought on set to do re-writes for Forster. As for the release date, it is better at Summer 2013, however Man Of Steel is out in June 2013, same month as WWZ. I remember back in 2008 Lionsgate moved Punisher: War Zone from September 12th to December 5th. That was a mistake, the film tanked. During the holiday season, who would take their family to see a vigilante killing people in gruesome ways when family films, animated films etc are out.

I wouldn't say "ruined", Ace. But I agree that PROMETHEUS was the biggest disappointment of the summer.

I felt cheated, I seriously just. Gahh, Nothing towards you, I had been waiting for this since last year, I was let down.

#6 Kristian

Kristian

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

I liked his work on Lost, no doubt about that, but I see where you're coming from. I believe Brad Pitt is control, he is producing, if not, then it is the studio. I remember that during filming for QOS, Josh Zetumer was brought on set to do re-writes for Forster. As for the release date, it is better at Summer 2013, however Man Of Steel is out in June 2013, same month as WWZ. I remember back in 2008 Lionsgate moved Punisher: War Zone from September 12th to December 5th. That was a mistake, the film tanked. During the holiday season, who would take their family to see a vigilante killing people in gruesome ways when family films, animated films etc are out.

I felt cheated, I seriously just. Gahh, Nothing towards you, I had been waiting for this since last year, I was let down.

Agreed, Ace. Here are the flaws (as I saw them) for PROMETHEUS. Hopefully, you agree... SPOILERS TO ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN THE MOVIE....

1 There's a difference between an "enigmatic, deep film" and one that is a pretentious mess.... what was up with that guy in the beginning who was watching that orb-like ship depart? what did he drink? why did he drink it? Were we on LV-225. Or Earth back in the beginning of time? WHAT?!?!

2. What was up with the thing that attacked Milburne and Fifield (surely two of the most annoying characters, by the way)? I get that the place was supposed to be a military experiment facility for the Engineers, and the bug was probably one of the "creations". But throw us a bone, Damon...

3. Not sure if it's the writing or the portrayal, but Shaw just wasn't a compelling character to me. Rapace is supposed to be playing a Brit, but her accent was non-existent. Shaw had the potential to be a more gentle Ripley, but was fumbled.

4. By contrast, I was rooting for Charlize Theron's Meredith - who was the only character who really made sense. I almost get the sense that she's the audience's representative: the one who balks at all the stupid horror movie decisions everyone else makes.

5. What the hell was up with that final twist. It left the theater dead silent. Not a good sign.

I agree with you: Argh! GAD! What a missed opportunity....

#7 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

Agreed, Ace. Here are the flaws (as I saw them) for PROMETHEUS. Hopefully, you agree... SPOILERS TO ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN THE MOVIE....

1 There's a difference between an "enigmatic, deep film" and one that is a pretentious mess.... what was up with that guy in the beginning who was watching that orb-like ship depart? what did he drink? why did he drink it? Were we on LV-225. Or Earth back in the beginning of time? WHAT?!?!

2. What was up with the thing that attacked Milburne and Fifield (surely two of the most annoying characters, by the way)? I get that the place was supposed to be a military experiment facility for the Engineers, and the bug was probably one of the "creations". But throw us a bone, Damon...

3. Not sure if it's the writing or the portrayal, but Shaw just wasn't a compelling character to me. Rapace is supposed to be playing a Brit, but her accent was non-existent. Shaw had the potential to be a more gentle Ripley, but was fumbled.

4. By contrast, I was rooting for Charlize Theron's Meredith - who was the only character who really made sense. I almost get the sense that she's the audience's representative: the one who balks at all the stupid horror movie decisions everyone else makes.

5. What the hell was up with that final twist. It left the theater dead silent. Not a good sign.

I agree with you: Argh! GAD! What a missed opportunity....

Like I said, It ended with more questions to be asked than questions answered.

By the way, spot on with everything. It just didn't come together Like it should have.