6 replies to this topic

#1 Poor Man's JB

Poor Man's JB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:29 AM

Has anyone here done a real, side-by-side comparison of the Golden Gun replicas from both S.D. Studios and Factory Entertainment?

I currently have the SDS version (the second edition) and I'm quite happy with it but as a compleatist I've been thinking about the FE version and wondered what other collectors might have to say.

At least one person said in passing that the quality of the FE was nowhere near the SDS but I'm imagining the FE is nonetheless more accurate.

Thoughts?

#2 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:06 AM

I missed out on the SDS model back in '95, and roiled with resentment for years. I watched the announcements through the late oughts, and finally procured an FE model last year, and I am totally satisfied with it.

Comparing it to images of the SDS (including the one in my avatar) I have to conclude that the FS is more accurate (not to mention cheaper!). The cufflink/trigger is less bulky, and features a spring in the bottom tab that allows you to pretend to press a trigger. There is a magnet in the lighter/breech to hold it closed. The bottom cap of the pen has a rubber washer in it so that it pops on and off. The 'case' handle does not open, but it's solidness gives the assembled pistol are more authentic weight (even Christopher Lee commented on that, in a video on YouTube showing him autographing one). The 18 carat gold plating is brighter that the SDS, although possibly thinner; if you take the pistol in and out of the stand too often it can wear away where it touches the acrylic.

The FS model also comes with one bullet inscribed with '007' and five more plain (one for each of Scaramanga's targets, presumably).

I swear I am not affiliated with FE, except as a satisfied customer. They announced a Faberge egg a while ago, but I don't see that anything has happened with that yet (more than that, I'd like to see them come out with a model of the laser satellite from DAF!).

This may not be a side-by-side comparison, but I hope it helps.

#3 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

I am quite interested to see what people think of their Jaws teeth, Spectre ring, Goldeneye key set and Goldfinger homer set (the latter two having yet to be released)... if they make any more prop replicas in the future, that would be fine with me.

Edited by larrythefatcat, 08 June 2012 - 04:58 AM.

#4 Bond... Raybond

Bond... Raybond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

If only someone could make a working version of the Thunderball mini-breather. As a SCUBA diver, one of the those would be cool!

#5 Goldengun007

Goldengun007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

PMJB - I have both the 2nd Gen SD Studios GG and the FE version. I got the FE version long after having the SD version, not to be a completist but because they are, for me, two different props. The FE was intriguing because of the signatures for Roger Moore and Christopher Lee, and I was curious as to this interpretation of the prop given the special access FE had from the producers. In my opinion, the SD version is still a slight favorite- it has a better heft to it than does the FE version (please, I am not criticizing the weight of the FE version- I found that whole discussion rather silly) and the SD version does not seem quite as delicate as the FE version. If I wish to play with the GG, the SD version seems much better built for the repetitive taking apart and putting together. The FE version does seem to be more screen accurate, though I frankly have not taken the time to do a detailed examination. The FE version is shinier, it displays better, and I like the fact that the 'lighter' top opens up to allow the insertion of the bullet. So I don't think it is a question of either/or, if you already have the SD version- the FE is another interpretation and complements the SD version. One for show, and one for play!

#6 Matt Sherman

Matt Sherman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

There are giant threads on this topic at Absolutely James Bond. One difference of course, is the price! PMJB, you know Jim Arnold, he sold the last ONE HUNDRED SD guns he had a few years ago - and the price kept escalating!

Both guns will be sold out soon, even Chris Lee can't get a finished one!

See http://www.ajb007.co...est-golden-gun/

#7 E S Blofeld

E S Blofeld

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

I purchased the FE version and was quite pleased with the fit and finish. I do not have the SD Studios version to compare it to, but...

I also purchased the SPECTRE ring and was hugely disappointed. The black inset on the ring looks like plastic, and when I opened the box all I could think of was how much I paid for it compared to what it looked like. The quality just didn't justify the price.

As a result I have decided to not purchase any more items from Factory Entertainment. I don't want to be shelling out several hundred dollars for items that have unpredictable quality.