4 replies to this topic

#1 Golddragon71

Golddragon71

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Why would Blofeld even approach the college of Arms. From what I've read of the College it seems to only pertain to families and titles in Great Britian and it's satellites. I wouldn't think that a French Count (would-be or otherwise) would be any concern to a British Institution.

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

It was more a question of the College being the go-to place for the necessary expertise to claim the title. The opinion of the College of Arms was supposed to be a commissioned work, which used to be part of the College's financial basis IIRC. Blofeld could of course call himself whatever he liked. But if he wanted the title to be officially recognised and in his passport then he had to present a convincing piece to support his claims with the Swiss (or French) authorities.

Why he doesn't just bribe the guy deciding on his request beats me though...

#3 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

You've read OHMSS? That's exactly what Blofeld does when Bond/Bray says that his pedigree cannot be established without evidence linking his grandfather to the count whom Blofeld claims was his great-grandfather.

Or do you mean the French officials? Good point, except that if he'd had, then Bond wouldn't have become involved

#4 Golddragon71

Golddragon71

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Which would have worked out in Blofeld's favor considering he was going to extort recognition of his title anyway along with his Pardon.

#5 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Why he doesn't just bribe the guy deciding on his request beats me though...

Very good point. Another plot hole to contemplate. Especially with all the world's intelligence services actively seeking him because of his activities in Thunderball. Britain's top agent foils the Thunderball plot, so Blofeld tempts fate by contacting Britain's College of Arms.

Which would have worked out in Blofeld's favor considering he was going to extort recognition of his title anyway along with his Pardon.

Exactly. Why bother with the College of Arms?