55 replies to this topic

#31 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

Also been to many of the London locations in Skyfall.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#32 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

I've been around New York City having grown up in Connecticut. I've also been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris and gone through the Louisiana bayou in New Orleans. They are fun, but sadly that's my extent of covering Bond's travels.

#33 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:24 AM

I've been around New York City having grown up in Connecticut. I've also been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris and gone through the Louisiana bayou in New Orleans. They are fun, but sadly that's my extent of covering Bond's travels.

Talking of Paris makes me think the Bond franchise should go back there one day and do a really good job of featuring the city as a main location.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#34 agentbug

agentbug

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

I've been to a few places: the ice lagoon in Iceland they froze to film the DAD car chase; I got very close to the marble quarry in QoS. Well, I was in the quarry but not the exact part you actually see in the film. I've been to Venice, Siena, Rome and the Vatican, and walked past the hotel Bond climbs out of in Hamburg (in TND). Living in London I'm familiar with a lot of the London locations, and desperately want to go eat in Rules now (from Spectre).

In January I'm booked to go Sölden where they filmed some of the Spectre scenes, really looking forward to that but A) am trying not to assume they'll be snow there as there may not be at that time of year (aside from the ski runs, which don't interest me) and B, am nervous I won't get a seat at the restaurant (the clinic in the film).

I do get a kick out of seeing places from the Bond films, and also enjoy knowing I've gone some place suitable to Bond, if you get what I mean. (He does have excellent taste). :D

Edited by agentbug, 03 November 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#35 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

Wow, can't believe I just noticed this topic. Between my time in the service and personal travel, I've been to:

Japan (Tokyo)
London
Paris
Corfu
Key West
Nassau
Jamaica
Egypt
Thailand
Austria
And probably a few others I cannot remember right now.

#36 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:04 AM

Together with our CBn friends Goodnight, Double-0-7, Jeff007, Professor Dent, and several others, Mrs. Tallon and I just completed a "Death March" of London.  In the course of about five days, we walked over fifty miles and took numerous Tube journeys, covering the length and breadth of London and taking in about fifty sights from numerous Bond books and films.  I appreciate the helpfulness and courtesy of special people at the Draper's Hall, the House of Vans (Old Vic Tunnels), Brent Cross Shopping Center, the Reform Club, Rules Restaurant, and Planet Hollywood, plus many, many ordinary Londoners who cheerfully helped us along the way.

#37 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:30 PM

New York

London

Paris

Las Vegas

LAX (DAF, MR)

India

Germany

San Francisco

Japan (Narita airport layover...does that count?)

pretty boring list actually.

So no one here has been to outer space?

#38 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:25 AM

I visited Piz Gloria in December. Amazing location. They were doing renovations during my trip, but that didn't detract from the experience. I went out to their Bond walk of fame and had my photo taken next to Lazenby's information board. My hand is just about the same size as his! The interactive Bond display was fun - they have a bobsled simulator, a helicopter simulator and a few other things as well. The highlight though was having something to eat as the restaurant revolved around the beautiful landscape outside. An experience I'll never forget.

#39 agentbug

agentbug

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

Wow, sharpshooter, sounds brill. I have just got back from my trip to Sölden (mentioned above) and it was great. It did snow and on my last day the cloud lifted slightly to make being up the mountain where the chase from Spectre begins hugely worthwhile.

I’m already now thinking I must do the Plz Gloria pilgrimage! Although the whole thing is similarly precariously weather dependant. What were they renovating?

I visited Piz Gloria in December. Amazing location. They were doing renovations during my trip, but that didn't detract from the experience. I went out to their Bond walk of fame and had my photo taken next to Lazenby's information board. My hand is just about the same size as his! The interactive Bond display was fun - they have a bobsled simulator, a helicopter simulator and a few other things as well. The highlight though was having something to eat as the restaurant revolved around the beautiful landscape outside. An experience I'll never forget.

Wow, sharpshooter, sounds brill. I have just got back from my trip to Sölden (mentioned above) and it was great. It did snow and on my last day the cloud lifted slightly to make being up the mountain where the chase from Spectre begins hugely worthwhile.

I’m already now thinking I must do the Plz Gloria pilgrimage! Although the whole thing is similarly precariously weather dependant. What were they renovating?

Edited by agentbug, 18 January 2016 - 12:57 PM.

#40 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:42 PM

By all means, go to Piz Gloria if you can. One of the great Bond travel experiences of my lifetime.

#41 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

They were renovating the lower store area, agentbug.

And when I was in Prague recently they had a Bond Cafe. It had Bond beer, along with Bond photos on the inside of the bar. A very pleasant discovery.

#42 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:13 PM

Only two Bond locations I've been to are New York and Kentucky.

#43 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:30 AM

Just updating my list:-

UK

Paris

Tunisia

Hamburg

Corfu (Greece)

Meteora (Greece)

James Bond Island (Thailand)

Japan

Spain

Caribbean

Russia

Holland

#44 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:27 AM

Pretty impressive, congrats!

#45 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

I've been to Miami but totally forgot to check out the Fontainebleau hotel from Goldfinger.

#46 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Paris

Chateau de Chantilly

Vienna, The Park

Corfu - specifically went to Pagi where the 2CV rolled over next to the bus

Jamaica - specifically the Dunns Falls and Goldeneye.  This was before it became a Hotel, I wandered around the gardens out of site of the owners.  Saw the private beach.

Egyptian pyramids, Luxor, Abu Simbel

Amsterdam - but nothing obviously recognised as from the film

Bangkok, and Bond Island before it became at all crowded

Hong Kong - I was staying on Hankow Road in a hostel bang opposite the Bottoms Up Club

Venice - The glass shop etc.

London - ate opposite Rules, saw the DAD door, walked around the spiral staircase for Nine Eyes HQ (this was the Town Hall on the river), bunch of other stuff.

Might be some other places but I can't remember off hand...

My 40th was held at Pinewood Studios and my 50 is to be held at Stoke Park

#47 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:08 AM

Simon,

Was the Bottoms Up Club like the film, or like Raymond Benson's description in Zero Minus Ten?

(Don't tell us you didn't go in!)

#48 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:50 AM

Paris

Chateau de Chantilly

Vienna, The Park

Corfu - specifically went to Pagi where the 2CV rolled over next to the bus

Jamaica - specifically the Dunns Falls and Goldeneye.  This was before it became a Hotel, I wandered around the gardens out of site of the owners.  Saw the private beach.

Egyptian pyramids, Luxor, Abu Simbel

Amsterdam - but nothing obviously recognised as from the film

Bangkok, and Bond Island before it became at all crowded

Hong Kong - I was staying on Hankow Road in a hostel bang opposite the Bottoms Up Club

Venice - The glass shop etc.

London - ate opposite Rules, saw the DAD door, walked around the spiral staircase for Nine Eyes HQ (this was the Town Hall on the river), bunch of other stuff.

Might be some other places but I can't remember off hand...

My 40th was held at Pinewood Studios and my 50 is to be held at Stoke Park

Now that's a proper Bond fan.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

#49 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:08 AM

Only been to James Bond Island.

Simon,

Was the Bottoms Up Club like the film, or like Raymond Benson's description in Zero Minus Ten?

(Don't tell us you didn't go in!)

Yes Simon, tell us allllll the salacious details!  :P

#50 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

Yes chaps, I did pop in, purely out of curiosity and for research purposes.

I think in the film the décor was yellow.  I am not sure if the interiors to the club were filmed AT the club or back at Pinewood.  Suffice to say the interior was very red, very dark.  A bit grubby, if truth be told.  This was back in 1991 though, 15 years after the film.

#51 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

Went to the SIS building today. Great to finally make it there.

#52 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

They should open up a little fan shop there; you know, like they have in museums, mugs with SIS crest, stationery, books by popular former employees, film posters, baseball caps, T-shirts and knapsacks. I don't see why they leave that market untouched when there is obviously such a lot of interest for it.

#53 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:17 PM

Was that a joke?

#54 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

Well, not entirely. I suppose they could really run some kind of operation like this. Evidently not at the premises themselves, but nearby should not be a problem. As for the 'Official SIS Crest'™ - why leave the market to some Asian sweat shops when people would love to pay for the real deal? I'm fairly sure you wouldn't need terribly outrageous funds to run this venture and turn up with a decent profit. We're not talking about any ordinary government dive, this is a bit like a real-life Mordor would be for Tolkien aficionados. Or rather Rivendell, of course.

At any rate Britain could surely use the popularity of this place and the institution it represents.

#55 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:32 PM

Went to the SIS building today. Great to finally make it there.

I made it there in October 2013. Knocked the wind out of me for a moment. It's pretty special seeing something that you grew up with on the screen staring back at you in person. It was also fun to scroll through this thread and see my post from early 2012. A lot has changed since then. I've been to Bond locations in England, Scotland, and Austria over the past two years. The Scottish Highlands were particularly special. Vienna was my favorite place, however, though my night at the State Opera can be attributed to MI Rogue Nation more than Bond. :P

#56 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

With the James Bond door from DAD, did anyone else get the feeling that the blokes working in there are a bit sick of Bond fans looking in at them?  :)