This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

IFP shopping around for new Young Bond author?

23 replies to this topic

#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

So says the Independent.

It is the latest part of an ambitious programme for 007 from Fleming’s estate, which hopes to encourage more heavy-hitting authors to try their hand at writing Bond.

It is currently searching for an author to write more Young Bond books after the initial five-strong series, written by The Fast Show’s Charlie Higson, proved hugely successful.

I put the question to Charlie Higson on Twitter and here was his response...

@monstroso: @CBn007 Afraid it's true. They can't wait for me for ever.

Say it ain't so!

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Oh boo. I expect they'll find someone cracking but Higson absolutely nailed the tone bang-on. He was the best Bond continuation author bar none: actually got Fleming's style -without being a pastiche- perfectly.

#3 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

If Charlie isn't doing it, I'm not sure I want anyone to do it.

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

Now that surely is a sudden activism on the IFP front. First the announcement of Boyd doing another period piece, now they supposedly look for another new name to do Young Bond. Quite a rush, all of a sudden. Will we next hear of a new series of Bond novels set in the future?

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Whoa!

#6 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

That is a real shame. Because apart from Amis he is the only one of the continuation authors that have nailed it. It just goes to prove what I said on another board. For the Fleming estate it is just product to make money. Depressing.

#7 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Higson certainly nailed Young Bond and his world. It would be a shame to lose him.

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Interesting. Still, if it's their product and they want to press on, so be it.

#9 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

I wonder...

As the ugly words 'copyright' and 'common domain' seem to raise their heads with growing frequency, how exactly is the position of Young Bond's copyright? Is this considered an entirely new character, the copyright running from its inception in 2005? Or is Young Bond considered a character that merely extends Fleming's creation into the past and as such would not be a valuable property without Fleming's original work?

I suppose lawyers could order a whole range of new Porsches while pleading their case.

#10 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

I wonder...

As the ugly words 'copyright' and 'common domain' seem to raise their heads with growing frequency, how exactly is the position of Young Bond's copyright? Is this considered an entirely new character, the copyright running from its inception in 2005? Or is Young Bond considered a character that merely extends Fleming's creation into the past and as such would not be a valuable property without Fleming's original work?

I suppose lawyers could order a whole range of new Porsches while pleading their case.

I think it would be fairly hard to write a novel starring James Bond and claim it's a separate copyright.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

Made this a story on my blog with thanks to you, [dark].

http://www.thebookbo...ut-without.html

Charlie is going to be VERY hard to replace.

#12 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

Charlie is going to be VERY hard to replace.

He will be. Charlie was a large part of why I enjoyed the five books so much. Not just his writing but in terms of being an ambassador for the brand.

#13 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

I got back into reading because of the Young Bond novels. I really hope IFP reconsider.

#14 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

News fairly popping up left and right at the moment.

As for not 'waiting forever', what is Higson up to at present that is preventing his participation?

#15 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

So, Higson won't be writing the next series of Young Bond books. What a shame. Still, I'm glad IFP have plans to keep it going. I hope Bond won't still be 13 though. We need a Bond in his early twenties in wartime. Unfortunately I'm starting to lose confidence in authors writing Bond due to the disappointing DMC and CB.

#16 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Adolescent Bond, perhaps.

Followed by Young Adult Bond.

All trademarked, no doubt.

#17 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

News fairly popping up left and right at the moment.

As for not 'waiting forever', what is Higson up to at present that is preventing his participation?

He has his own book series and I believe a tv show, though that may not be around anymore.

#18 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

If and when the new author is announced, and he - or she - announces that they are going to make a modern day Young Bond,
I'm going to vomit.
And then travel to wherever the IFP offices are and vomit on them!
Seriously though, if they continue screwing up the series, they're going to loose all credibility as publishers, the before you know it, we'll be left with nothing.

#19 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

If and when the new author is announced, and he - or she - announces that they are going to make a modern day Young Bond,
I'm going to vomit.
Seriously though, if they continue screwing up the series, they're going to loose all credibility as publishers, the before you know it, we'll be left with nothing.

That's pretty much the reaction of the fans (including me, I expect!) when 'Young Bond' was announced in the first place.

#20 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'm going to vomit.

Well, possibly some vomit.

#21 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

I wonder...

I think it would be fairly hard to write a novel starring James Bond and claim it's a separate copyright.

Well, if we take a look at the Alex Rider series they certainly are heavily inspired by James Bond, to put it mildly. Yet they surely do have their own copyright which will only expire in a future far, far away. The character of Alex Rider is removed insofar from the source of its inspiration, James Bond.

At the same time the character of Young Bond certainly owes more than a bit to Alex Rider's success (and that of Harry Potter, goes without saying). And yet Young Bond is supposed to have the same copyright as James Bond 007. That could turn out as a field day for copyright lawyers because IFP could argue the idea of a Young Bond series of novels created its own original character. I have no idea whatsoever how this would turn out in the end.

#22 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

I'm going to vomit.

I don't think IFP would make a modern day young Bond. If they do, I'll join you in your revolt.

I'm going to vomit.

And then travel to wherever the IFP offices are and vomit on them! They'd continue where Higson left off in the 30's or 40's. If they do, I'll certainly join you in your revolt!

I'm going to vomit.

I don't think IFP would make a modern day young Bond. If they do, I'll join you in your revolt.

#23 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Well, if it's worth saying once...

#24 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Can't be worse than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoWexi-DWFQ