This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What are you doing? / What have you done today?

220 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

As most of you old members know, a few years ago a thread like this was locked, and rightfully so. It became a farce. But I think, right now, it might be a good time to bring it back. There's been so many new members on here, and we don't really know eachother as well as we did back in the day. I also noticed that we don't really have a casual thread to discuss our day to day lives. Now, giving the right sort of moderation, I think this thread could be interesting. So, what are you doing? Or what have you done today?

As for me. I've spent most of the day playing Mass Effect 3, which is an absoloutely fantastic game, and the entire online multiplayer is probably the best I've ever played. Very fun. Right now though, I'm watching Psycho. One of my favourite movies of all time.

Yourself?

#2 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Yesterday was lovely, it really felt like Spring, I went for a run and did some riding too. My pony Dolly is a different character when the sun is out. :D

#3 smudge76

smudge76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

On leave currently, so early run today (4/5 miles) bit sledgehammer/Tyre drills and some Boxing training later.

#4 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

Ahh, nice thread.

I'm currently in between jobs so i'm playing SSX and Skyrim non-stop.

As for me. I've spent most of the day playing Mass Effect 3, which is an absolutely fantastic game, and the entire online multiplayer is probably the best I've ever played. Very fun.

Yourself?

I want to get Mass Effect 3 but i haven't played 1&2, do you recommend me getting it or will i not 'understand' it if i start with 3?

#5 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

I want to get Mass Effect 3 but i haven't played 1&2, do you recommend me getting it or will i not 'understand' it if i start with 3?

Having completed all three of the games in the series, I would say that you definitely would want to go back and play 1 & 2 before playing the third game. The storyline for the third game is convoluted enough for those who have played the first two, so I would imagine that those coming into the game without that background would be completely lost. Plus, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are both superior games to the third, IMO.

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

The best thing about Mass Effect is that the decisions you make in one game affect the next one. So make sure you keep your saves! I wasn't too keen on the first one, though. I thought it was awful compared to 2 and 3. Also, don't get me started on that damn Sniper rifle.

#7 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Fix screenplay, Play Battlefield 2, eat lunch at my grandmas, go for a 5km bide ride around my neighbourhood, then I plan on watching "Le Notti di Cabiria (Nights of Cabiria), then go for another 5km bike ride.

Edited by DominicGreene, 15 March 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#8 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Play Battlefield 2, eat lunch at my grandmas, go for a 5km bide ride around my neighbourhood, then I plan on watching "Le Notti di Cabiria (Nights of Cabiria), then go for another 5km bike ride.

Have you played Battlefield 3?

#9 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

The best thing about Mass Effect is that the decisions you make in one game affect the next one. So make sure you keep your saves! I wasn't too keen on the first one, though. I thought it was awful compared to 2 and 3. Also, don't get me started on that damn Sniper rifle.

I think that Mass Effect 2 is, far and away, the best of the series. It has easily the best story of the three, the best cast of characters, and the action is much more compelling than what was there in the first game. Mass Effect 3, though, is kind of a mess in terms of its storyline and the other elements that it brings to the table. ME1 has a fantastic story as well and is a very good foundation to build upon. The problem with ME3 is that it never feels as epic as it should feel.

Spoiler

#10 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

Up early and enjoyed my coffee and breakfast, catching up on the web. Picked up some source material for some video work later this afternoon. Reviewing more of my script notes as I continue writing. Off to TKD training/workout at 11am. For the moment, obviously, scanning about CBn. Planning on getting out to the range this weekend. Contemplating dinner at my favorite Italian restaurant. Nearing having enough funds by the end of the month to finally get the new pump put in the Jag.

Grey day here in L.A., but I can live with it.

#11 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Up early and enjoyed my coffee and breakfast, catching up on the web. Picked up some source material for some video work later this afternoon. Reviewing more of my script notes as I continue writing. Off to TKD training/workout at 11am. For the moment, obviously, scanning about CBn. Planning on getting out to the range this weekend. Contemplating dinner at my favorite Italian restaurant. Nearing having enough funds by the end of the month to finally get the new pump put in the Jag.

Grey day here in L.A., but I can live with it.

What do you do for a living?

Edited by DominicGreene, 15 March 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#12 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

1. Finished chapter nine of novel.
2. Italian lesson.
3. Decided I didn't like chapter nine of novel.
4. Started rewrite of chapter nine of novel.
5. Vague unease about chapter eight.
6. Swim
7. Argument with offspring.
8. Nagging doubts about chapter eight of novel.
9. Chapter seven now bugging me.
10. Beginning to wonder who I can take it out on.
11. Log on to CBn.

#13 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Started watching The Persuaders today. Got my hands on all of the episodes. I haven't seen it for years. Brilliant stuff.

Edited by Mharkin, 19 March 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#14 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Being fired from a screenwriting project today. In a way it was a relief since the involved people were clichéd unpredictable mood swingers. Losing the payment sucks, of course. But even worse was the manner in which they did it: per e-mail. But the studio head (who could not make up his mind which way to develop this thing, always contradicted himself, always wanted something else whenever I brought him what he wanted before) is known for this cowardly way. I should have known better and not have taken this assignment in the first place. Now, I´ve wasted my time with it.

Imagine which thrilling responses and threads I could have written on this board instead during these last months...

2. Italian lesson.
6. Swim
11. Log on to CBn.

That in itself would make a nice chapter, my friend!

Maybe exchange this with chapter 6?

#15 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

2. Italian lesson.
6. Swim
11. Log on to CBn.

You forgot "12. Look for that tosser Glidrose. See what mischief he's up to."

#16 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Being fired from a screenwriting project today. In a way it was a relief since the involved people were clichéd unpredictable mood swingers. Losing the payment sucks, of course. But even worse was the manner in which they did it: per e-mail. But the studio head (who could not make up his mind which way to develop this thing, always contradicted himself, always wanted something else whenever I brought him what he wanted before) is known for this cowardly way. I should have known better and not have taken this assignment in the first place. Now, I´ve wasted my time with it.

Sorry to hear that. It's a shame that the world continues to move more and more in this direction rather than the other way around.

#17 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

Sorry to hear that. It's a shame that the world continues to move more and more in this direction rather than the other way around.

Thanks, tdalton!

#18 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

11. Log on to CBn.

No, Glidrose. Thats what number 10 and 11 were about. If anything 12 should be "Take it out on Glidrose." :D

Well, dang. My day is absolutely boring compared to most of yours. I went to Papa Murphy's (a take n bake pizza shop here in the midwest) and got an order of cheesy bread. The internet was down here yesterday, so I puttered around the apartment cleaning up, and then that evening, fired up the PS2 (don't have the money to get a current gen console, and besides, most of my favorite games are on PS2) and played The Punisher. Went to bed at about 1am Central Standard Time to be woke up at 6 by "Daddy, I'm hungry and thirsty."

#19 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

I found out today that I have a really bad Trojan on my computer. It's called ZeroAccess! and needs to be removed manually, apparently. I'm not that great with computers, so I have no idea where to start. Damn it.

#20 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

2. Italian lesson.
6. Swim
11. Log on to CBn.

?

#21 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

I found out today that I have a really bad Trojan on my computer. It's called ZeroAccess! and needs to be removed manually, apparently. I'm not that great with computers, so I have no idea where to start. Damn it.

Have you tried doing a System Restore?

#22 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

11. Log on to CBn.

No, Glidrose. Thats what number 10 and 11 were about. If anything 12 should be "Take it out on Glidrose." :D

Yes, genius, I know that's what numbers 10 and 11 were about. Your twelve and my twelve say the same thing. Mine's better than yours, tho'.

Well, dang. My day is absolutely boring compared to most of yours. I went to Papa Murphy's (a take n bake pizza shop here in the midwest) and got an order of cheesy bread. The internet was down here yesterday, so I puttered around the apartment cleaning up, and then that evening, fired up the PS2 (don't have the money to get a current gen console, and besides, most of my favorite games are on PS2) and played The Punisher. Went to bed at about 1am Central Standard Time to be woke up at 6 by "Daddy, I'm hungry and thirsty."

Find your wallet yet?

#23 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Woke up early, about 0515, showered, shaved, got dressed smoked a fag outside and thought of the previous night. Made love to a very sexy and loving woman and went off to work after another shower and smoke. Got the men sorted out and went on the Square for an hour to prepair for tomorrow's rehersal. Got back to base, did some paper work and spent the day on troubleshooting duties. Got back home at about 1630, had something to eat and am now relaxing on this site. Going back at at half eight. Meeting 2 Captains to discuss the parade and all the ceremonial dettails on site. Will get back at about eleven if I don't get too carried away with the port and probably go to bed. Busy day tomorrow with a main rehersal.

Cest la vie. Such is life. Oh, yeah, probably won't be writing tonight although lately I was having quite a good run where that was concerned. Hope I don't lose the momentum and muse!

Hope I wasn't too dettailed ;-)

#24 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Woke up, had some lovely Liptons Moroccan Blend Herbal Tea and some wholemeal pitta bread with peanut butter, watched a couple of episodes of The Finder, then an episode of Bones, read about fifty pages of David Gibbins' 'The Lost Gospel' (and pondering the next book I'm going to read), had a shower (Original Source Black Cherry and Almond, heavenly), had a few text conversations, started listening to an audio play - currently pondering what to make for dinner.

#25 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Location:A hollowed-out volcano, a submarine, and a moon base.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

I'm not going to say that I woke up because that's trite and obvious. I had classes, registered for my fall term and my first round of nursing classes, which made me extremely excited. :) After that, i've been working on my lighting design projects for theater things and I had a job interview. All in all, a rather excellent day :)

#26 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

Today, in honor of Ian Fleming's 104th birthday, I swam 1.8km in an hour flat.

#27 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

I met up with a friend. The weather is gorgeous here. He used to live in Australia, and we had a nice discussion about the fact that he used to walk around barefoot all the time. So we thought, what the hell. Lets do this. My feet are killing me.

#28 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

Jet-skiing and then later on some thinking about the jet-skiing.

Harkers - I have never walked so much barefoot as I do now that I live in Australia but don't walk into shops with no shoes on. That is "bogan" which is the equivalent of "chav".

#29 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

Firing up a 3-gold-bander, sipping a bourbon. Reminiscing over the day's activities. One less bad guy in this world, courtesy of my friends who wear the Trident. Life is good.

#30 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

The first decent morning of the summer and I find myself sat in a multiplex foyer accopmanying offspring to this Batman thing. In a bad mood already and given that I thought the last pretentious effort nearly drowned in its own shallowness I suspect I am in for a thoroughly dismal time. Still, I can molest the pick and mix.