12 replies to this topic

#1 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Variety has a report on the casting for "Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Pyscho" - http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118050966

Scarlett Johansson will play Janet Leigh and James D'Arcy will play Anthony Perkins, and Anthony Hopkins will play director Alfred Hitchcock, while Helen Mirren will play his wife, Alma.

Variety doesn't bother to talk about the what all of this is based on, Stephen Rebello's book.

Rebello's book is excellent. While preparing my book on the making of OHMSS, I read dozens of "Making Of" film books outside the Bond genre to get ideas, inspiration, and to see what made a good making of book tick. Rebello's was definitely one of the better ones. Not as photo packed as I would have liked, but very entertaining.

The thought of Scarlett Johansson filming the nude shower scene will certainly draw interest and sell tickets, I will be incredibly curious to see how this film is marketed and released.

Sure, as a cinephile, I'll see it, but will the casual cinema goer really want to see a movie about making a movie?

But hey, if someone wants to option my book for a film, I'm all ears.

Who would you cast as Lazenby? Rigg? Savalas? The mind boggles.

#2 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

The rise and fall of Lazenby from circa 67 to the early 70's would make a hell of a much more interesting film than Hitchcock making Psycho.

But hey, if someone wants to option my book for a film, I'm all ears.

Who would you cast as Lazenby? Rigg? Savalas? The mind boggles.

The hell with them. Who do we cast to play you! :P

#3 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Sure, as a cinephile, I'll see it, but will the casual cinema goer really want to see a movie about making a movie?

Sometimes, the prouction of films is far more interesting than the actual film itself. LAST ACTION HERO in particular springs to mind - the film sucked, but production was layered with problems and studios interfering, and so on. A film based behind the scenes of LAST ACTION HERO probably wouldn't be too interesting; I'm just using it as an example of a time when what was going on behind the camera was more entertaining than what was happening in front of it.

#4 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

It's certainly been done before. Clint Eastwood's "White Hunter, Black Heart" springs to mind. It's a semi-bio of John Huston and the making of "The African Queen" as a back drop. I actually quite liked it.

Well, if they can do it for Hitch, then they can do it for Cubby someday. Actually, I'm curious as to if there's been any talk of a Cubby bio-pic. That's when the studios may come a knockin' DNS. You know I'm rooting for you.

#5 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

Ah yes, I loved White Hunter, Black Heart.

Why were the actual names not used in this instance? Was it because story strayed too far from actual story?

As for Cubby bios, I am still sure a proper Fleming bio will pop up first; whatever happened to that story that Leonardo di Caprio was linked to?

#6 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

Actually, there's probably enough drama in the making of OHMSS to make a movie. Of course, the film ought to be bookended by scenes of the author (played by George Clooney, I think) deciding to put the "behind the scenes" story on paper.

#7 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

This reminds me of a film I watched in Media Studies a few years ago. It was a film based around the making of a movie. It was in the style of a documentary, with I THINK, was Johnny Depp in the lead. It was set in Spain, I think and the production was totally in chaos due to floods etc. Was really interesting. Honestly thought it was real, untill my lecturer said the entire thing was staged.

#8 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

Of course, the film ought to be bookended by scenes of the author (played by George Clooney, I think) deciding to put the "behind the scenes" story on paper.

Why? Because Lazenby was (supposedly) the subject of extensive criticism, and so having him narrate it would make him out to be better than he may have actually been?

#9 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Of course, the film ought to be bookended by scenes of the author (played by George Clooney, I think) deciding to put the "behind the scenes" story on paper.

Why? Because Lazenby was (supposedly) the subject of extensive criticism, and so having him narrate it would make him out to be better than he may have actually been?

No, because Doublenaughtspy deserves screen time for his efforts and enthusiasm.

And by the way, I like Lazenby. A lot.

#10 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

No, because Doublenaughtspy deserves screen time for his efforts and enthusiasm.

And by the way, I like Lazenby. A lot.

OHMSS One of the best movies and books

#11 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

I suppose if THE MAKING OF OHMSS is to be adapted it would be interesting to give this a little Max Schreck twist for the screen:

During his research for the book in Switzerland Bond expert Charles Helfenstein finds out that the unfortunate actor 'George Lazenby' was actually not just a secret agent but the real James Bond, who in a clever ruse played himself in a film production while he was investigating a case of biological warfare and extortion on the spot.

#12 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Ah yes, I loved White Hunter, Black Heart.

Why were the actual names not used in this instance? Was it because story strayed too far from actual story?

It was based on a semi-autobiographical novel by the writer of The African Queen, rather than the making of the film per say.

There have been a few films based around the making of other films, but the more prominent ones, like White Hunter and Shadow of the Vampire, have been heavily fictionalised and not really about the making of the actual films per say. The most obvious exception I can think of is RKO 281 which was a TV-Movie. I expect the Psycho film will follow the more common path.

This reminds me of a film I watched in Media Studies a few years ago. It was a film based around the making of a movie. It was in the style of a documentary, with I THINK, was Johnny Depp in the lead. It was set in Spain, I think and the production was totally in chaos due to floods etc. Was really interesting. Honestly thought it was real, untill my lecturer said the entire thing was staged.

That sounds a lot like Lost in La Mancha, but that wasn't staged.

#13 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Oh, thanks! That was it! Deepest apologies, it was a while since I saw it.