7 replies to this topic

#1 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

As so often, I come late to the table, discovering some genius that others have known of for years. I discovered Fichtner on Prison Break...and sat enthralled, through seasons 2-4, has his Alex Mahone evolved from relentless FBI agent...to junkie villain...to tortured soul...to hero.

Turns out, I had seen him briefly back when I tried get into the TV show Invasion. Seems I didn't give the show enough time--the ratings on Amazon for the show's single season are almost all five stars. So today I've ordered that, along with:

EQUILIBRIUM, another gem I somehow missed: a Matrix-style sci/fi Fu-er with Wild Bill and Christian Bale.

How unbelievably sad that this brilliant actor, who really should have been a leading man, didn't get another break after Invasion and Prison Break. Aside from Equilibrium, are there any other Fichtner gems I should be checking out?

Go, Wild Bill!

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:12 AM

Fichtner is great as the money launderer Roger Van Zant (a strangely sympathetic slimeball) in Michael Mann's HEAT. Which is, incidentally, one of the best films ever made.

#3 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:59 AM

Fichtner is great as the money launderer Roger Van Zant (a strangely sympathetic slimeball) in Michael Mann's HEAT. Which is, incidentally, one of the best films ever made.

I was going to mention this film, but I see you beat me to it Loomis haha.
It truely is one of the best films ever made Dodge, it is a must see!

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:18 AM

and he was in the Dark Knight as an homage the HEAT, one of Nolan's favorite films.

#5 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

He's great fun in Drive Angry, much more screentime than he usually gets too. Film wasn't everyone's cup of tea though,

#6 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Many thanks, all. I've seen Heat but a while back and can't remember Wild Bill's part. I'll surely check it out again. Also, Drive Angry, since he has more than his usual screen time. Meantime, I can't wait for my boxed set of Invasion to arrive. I get the vibe that Fichtner's role may have been a preparation of a sort for Prison Break. In the few episodes I saw, Wild Bill really creeped me out and I concluded that he had been podded. Apparently, not so--because a few Amazon posters have praised his transformation into a loving, heroic character. He's in his middle fifties now, so I hope someone grabs him up for a last-chance film or TV role while he's still got the juice and legs.

#7 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

Update, since the edit function seems to have disappeared...

Fichtner's having no trouble at all finding tons of work. A half-dozen films are in various stages of completion and development, including parts in The Lone Ranger, a SEALS actioner, and Elysium with Matt Damon and Jodie Foster. Of special interest to me is The Stupidest Angel, the only film listed with Fichtner in a starring role--billed as action/horror/comedy...you never know, could be his big hit.

#8 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

He's great fun in Drive Angry, much more screentime than he usually gets too. Film wasn't everyone's cup of tea though,

I agree. He was the only shining light in that awful awful movie. I know this is obscure, but i thought Fincther was hilarious doing the voice of the lawyer Ken Rosenberg in the "Grand Theft Auto" series.