3 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

I've pretty much stopped buying book about "the Bond phenomenon", but I will be buying this. It's about time we got a comprehensive book on Bond.

http://www.thebookbo...n-promises.html

#2 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Great news! We need a new book to cover the vast number of formats in which James Bond stories are told: several book series, movies, several series of comics, video games, role playing games, Young Bond, and even James Bond Junior. Hard to know if Porter will squeeze all that in, but I'm looking forward to checking it out.

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

Could be very interesting if it's as broad and deep as suggested.

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

I wonder here, if this truly tries to cover all the various mediae - books, comics, films, games - how much of a compendium will this be in the end?

Trying to wrap all that material into one single tome might actually prove either impossible or only partially satisfying. By now alone the material covering the books would surely call for 400+ pages of condensed information.

I welcome this as much as anybody else, but I've learnt to avoid works that try to cover "everything" (if only for the bulk these books present; I have numerous books in my bookcases that I can't read comfortably without a coffee table). There is a reason this field has split up into - roughly - FILM and EVERYTHING ELSE.

That said I will most likely go for this as the splendid ILLUSTRATED 007 proves Porter certainly is up for the task.