This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The _______ Islands affair (UK and Argentina)

8 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi fellas.

As you all aware, some tension grew up during the last months between Argentina and the Uk about the ________ Islands (If I say "Malvinas", you'd feel offended. If I say "Falklands", I'm a traitor ;))

I'd like to give my personal point of view about of this, trying not to offend anybody.

Well, first of all, I've got reasons to believe that the ______ Islands belong to Argentina, since they're about 300 miles away of our shoreline. On the other hand, I don't have records of the island being populated by the Argies before 1982.

But leaving politics aside... I think what matters the most is the Kelpers voice. If they want to be British, they're on their right to choose their nationality. And that's the end of discussion.

I'm really sad and angry by the way the Kirchenrs government is dealing with the islands and the UK. All of this is a stupid way of distracting us from real troubles here i.e. insecurity (a French turiist killed at 8.30 am in a public square!), inflation (with AR$ 10 you buy three things in the amrket), corruption (Mrs. K bought a U$S 9m building while recovering for her 'cancer'), and TOTAL flaws of institution (the Kirchnerist young agrupation called 'La Cámpora' is all the time shouting opposing parties member during the sessions), etc.

And the worst is that we treat international policies like a Football match: Argentina Vs. England, instead of talking and negotiating. Really, our foreign secretary seems to be Maradona. And well, let's not forget we are after the oil... we need a money box to pay all the fake welfare state we're living in ;)

I'd like to hear your toughts :)

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Well, first of all, I've got reasons to believe that the ______ Islands belong to Argentina, since they're about 300 miles away of our shoreline.

Yes, but on this basis Cuba belongs to the USA.

As you suggest, both governments sabre-rattling to distract from more pressing domestic issues.

Let the inhabitants decide.

#3 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Well, first of all, I've got reasons to believe that the ______ Islands belong to Argentina, since they're about 300 miles away of our shoreline.

No because Cuba is an autonomous nation.

But if the United States and the Dominican Republic were to play tug-of-war over Puerto Rico....

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

...not many bookies would take bets on the Dom Republic.

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

No because Cuba is an autonomous nation.

But if the United States and the Dominican Republic were to play tug-of-war over Puerto Rico....

Fairy nuff.

#6 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:32 AM

Two bald men fighting over a comb, as Borges put it.

#7 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

There's oil there. That's why we defended it last time. And that's why we'll defend it again, if we have to.

#8 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

In the end of the day it's always about money, isn't it? How pathetic!

#9 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Let the inhabitants decide.

I agree with that. It's a completely dictatorial desicion of the "Evil Queen of Louis Vouitton Handbags" to force the kelpers to be Argies.

Two bald men fighting over a comb, as Borges put it.

Oh, you read Borges! He was really intelligent. A bright imagination and good political points!

There's oil there. That's why we defended it last time. And that's why we'll defend it again, if we have to.

1. Yes, from what I've read, the UK government didn't suck the oil just for them, which is good. They left the oil for the Kelpers, unlike what we'd do (i.e. Using the oil money to increase our welfare, free footbal broadcastings, etc.)

2. You won't. Since the "Evil Queen of Handbags" has a blind hate to the military personel, assuming EVERYONE belonged to the 1976 junta, Argentina has now half the troops than in 1982! "You needn't worry, the second (war) is..." ;)
"Yes, considerably"

In the end of the day it's always about money, isn't it? How pathetic!

It is indeed my friend! And that's why I'm so annoyed. Someone has to depose this bitch and judge her!