22 replies to this topic

#1 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

Why do I not remember Moore ever SHOOTNG a snake?

#2 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

That looks like it might have been from a screen test? Rog's hair is awful dark compared with the 'real' clip.

#3 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

This is not an alternate sequence. The first part is from THE SAINT, Season 5 Episode 22: Island of Chance. Notice how much younger Moore appears?

#4 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:00 AM

Good catch guys. Seems The Saint's writers were watching Dr. No.

#5 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:00 AM

Shooting a snake with a PPK is a neat trick....

#6 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

Man... how can you do anything at all with nails that long? I constantly/accidentally/PAINFULLY bend mine backwards when they're HALF that long!!

Edited by larrythefatcat, 19 January 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#7 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:49 AM

Was that a PPK? I recognized The Saint music immediately. I just do not remember Templar using firearms that much. If it was a PPK, all the better!

#8 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

Was that a PPK? I recognized The Saint music immediately. I just do not remember Templar using firearms that much. If it was a PPK, all the better!

Certainly looks like it, although there is no clear shot. A screen grab from the video:

Posted Image

#9 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Love the audio description in that Live and Let Die clip.

#10 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yes, looks like a PPK. I wonder why he's doing this most difficult trickshot - small moving target, low visibility - when it would have been more effective to just throw the sheets over the snake? Ah, film scripts...

#11 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:35 AM

I remember this episode. No gents, not a PPK, but you will pleased to know that it is a Beretta. Model number escapes me, but it's a .380 (9mm short) based on the barrel size. Too large to be a .25. I'll cross check my pistol files and personal archive I've maintained over the years, but I'm 95% certain. I'll try to scan a pic if I can locate it.

Yes, it's time to open up the most trusted of my databases...My filing cabinet that requires a key and not a password.

Great find though.

#12 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:21 AM

A Beretta Model 70, perhaps. Available in both .32 and .380.

Posted Image

Interesting bit of trivia on the Model 70: This pistol, and NOT the famous PPK, is used by Roger Moore - Bond during the nighttime pyramid scene in The Spy Who Loved Me. It is also shown rather prominently on the DVD cover -- which is surprising, considering how iconic the Walther PPK has become.

See for yourself:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Binyamin, 20 January 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#13 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

There is a point under the muzzle that looks like a spring rod. The front of the slide looks a bit different but it's hard to decide. If it wasn't for the muzzle rod I'd have guessed it could have been an Astra Constable. Somehow it doesn't look like an open slide, does it?

#14 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

It's nice and light... in a lady's handbag.

#15 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

The 70s was modeled on the PPK and popular in .25 - it was commonly used for "up close" work with the Mossad throughout the 70's and 80's as it could be fit with a very short silencer which only added less than two inches. In .25 with sub-sonic ammo, the sound could be covered with a slight cough.

Yes, I did catch it in TSWLM way back when. I was always puzzled that Bond clearly had a PPK when he chases Sandor to the roof, but at the pyramids, it's the Beretta. Oversight by the prop department or the armourer on set somewhere along the way. Ah, the joys of filming on location.

Alas, after some digging, I believe the pistol in question is the Model 1934 (or just 34) in 9mm short.

http://terryleeray.c...retta-1934a.jpg

Also, this is the same Model that Bond hands over in Dr. No.

#16 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

You could very well be correct, Bryce.

However, look at the frame grab I posted above -- there is clearly no "flange" on the front of the magazine well. Yet, both the Model 70 and Model 34 have a very distinct "pinky" flange in this area. Odd....

#17 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

Is it possible Moore uses two guns? Taking out one from the drawer and changing to another for the shot?

The Baretta 34 is seen awfully often in British tv productions of that decade, so much so I often thought the props department had only got that model of a 32/380 class automatic back then.

#18 Joe Dont Call Me Don Baker

Joe Dont Call Me Don Baker

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

I remember when I was shooting tv show Streets for San Francisco, I was wearing this big floppy winter hat. The director came over to me and said, "Don, you can't wear that hat." I told him don't call me Don and threw my empty bottle of Canadian Club at his head (I had finished it earlier in the morning.) Well guess what? I got to wear it in those Bond movies! I love those big floppy winter hats! Can anyone tell me what they're called? Because Pierce stole mine and I want to get new ones.

- JDB

#19 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

Tend to agree with Bryce about the Beretta 1934 - can only see the screen grab as the video isn't showing. I would also suggest that the magazine has been removed, hence the lack of finger spur.

#20 J B

J B

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:02 AM

Good post! I remember seeing this video or another like it on YouTube before, and I knew it was supposed to be from one of The Saint episodes. I can't remember the name of which one it was though.

#21 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

Most models do have the spurred clip, but there are flat bottom clips as well. I have two non-spur clips for my own PPK. Hey, the price was right at the time and I always try to have at least six magazines for all my auto pistols.

Also, in doing a little digging about prop guns, most use blanks that are only powerful enough to work the mechanism, still very dangerous as we all know from various movie accidents, but UK gun laws in the 60's even for props were very stringent for automatics. Most didn't produce a good muzzel flash so it was up to the sound editors to watch the frames carefully and dub the sound cues. However some of the prop guys found that sprinkling a small bit of flint at the tip of the barrel gave a good enough flash and made the sound guys job easier.

I'm going to test a Beretta 1934 this weekend and it's in .25 and for sale. Might just add it to my collection if the price can be agreed upon.

#22 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:41 AM

The ironic thing about this episode of The Saint is that there's a "Goldfinger" reference in the episode.

#23 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

About that Beretta 1934, I just looked at my copy of THE MAKING OF OHMSS and it seems to me the gun Lazenby is pointing at the camera on that cover has a similar slide-muzzle-rod configuration. At any rate it doesn't seem to be a Walther.