26 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:10 AM

Okay, I was shopping last week with Freemo (we were searching for Boomerangs of all things, we were going to avoid paying for lunch and catch a koala from one of the local trees) and I came across a shop that had original German Lobby Cards.

Wow, me thinks. Freemo groaned. He wanted his koala meet. Their thighs are the tastiest if you're interested.

Anyhow, I keep admiring these lobbycards. Until...

WHAT THE?

There's a picture on one that is not in Live and Let Die.

So what was it?

It was Bond (Roger Moore) in profile, facing right. His hair was disheveled. His hand was raised, with a glass in it, toasting someone. And behind him was a river and a building blowing up.

The thing is, it's not from the river chase. Bond is wearing totally different clothes. It's an open shirt, that's a thicker material than his Boat Shirt.

Does anyone have any ideas? It looks like it was a great Bond scene.

#2 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:13 AM

Boomerang? Who could that be for?

#3 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:16 AM

It was a photograph taken by his wife, Louisa, during the filming of LALD who thought it would make a great publicity still.

The explosion is of the black speedboat in the open barge at the end of the speedboat chase.

He wasn't involved in the filming that day, hence the change of clothes. This is all related in the book written by Moore that is the Diary of events. A great little book that suggests his autobiography would be a thoroughly entertaining read.

Pity his work on this thus far had been stolen.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:19 AM

Stolen? Don't follow Simon.

That's interesting story to the photo :) Thanks. I just don't recognise the barn at all really. It seems like a brick mini-castle in the photo!

#5 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:40 AM

He was working on his autobiography and all his work was on a laptop which, you guessed it, wasn't backed up anywhere when his car was broken into and the laptop stolen.

He had done a tonne of work and he's now lost the motivation to start from scratch - which is why we have to put up with the recent rather lazy biography recently released.

A pity as I thoroughly enjoyed his LALD book - his light touch with humour and self deprecating style would make a full book a superb read.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 11 November 2002 - 12:34 PM

If I remember correctly that particular photo appears on the back cover of that Live and Let Die "diary" of Moore's.

#7 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 03:27 PM

Just to let you know, Roger Moore didn't actually write "Roger Moore's James Bond Diary."

#8 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat
If I remember correctly that particular photo appears on the back cover of that Live and Let Die "diary" of Moore's.

Close, it's actually on the last page of picture pages in the book.

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 07:34 PM

That's a really annoying story to hear Simon! GRRR To those thieves. Hope their limbs drop off.

You know what made me think it was a film photo? Moore's pose. It's so Bond to be toasting with an explosion in the background. And with Moore's story that he always blinked when a weapon fired, I just presumed it had to be filming or he'd be running!

#10 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 08:56 PM

That little book does have some great pics and is very funny to read.

It's also nearly impossible to find. I have a really fragile copy, but just this summer, a friend found me one that was in remarkable condition...and only paid $3 for it.

Apparently Luisa was quite the shutterbug when Rog was filming. Pity they divorced. She probably has pages and crates full of negatives and pics....unless she's tossed them out;)

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Simon
It was a photograph taken by his wife, Louisa, during the filming of LALD who thought it would make a great publicity still.

Yes, what he said.

I've long heard rumors that actions scenes where shot of Bond's "Italian Job" that were supposed to be part of the pre-titles sequence, but maybe this is just a Bond urban myth.

#12 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 09:02 PM

There is a picture from the set of LALD that looks like a deleted scene- it shows Rog being led away by two bad guys at the docks- I think its in the Incredible world of 007. Posed photo or cut scene? I dunno.

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 09:02 PM

Care to expand on tose rumours Zencat? I don't know the story.

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 11 November 2002 - 10:47 PM

Originally posted by mccartney007

Close, it's actually on the last page of picture pages in the book.

Thanks for the correction Jordan, I thought that photo was in a more prominent position than that because it's the one I think of when talking about that book.

I can't remember if the actual author's name was printed on the book anywhere, but if it isn't, do you know who the "ghost" was, Jordan?

#15 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 10:50 PM

I don't recall his name, BC. I can certainly find out though. I'll get back to you on it.

#16 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:08 PM

Originally posted by mccartney007
I don't recall his name, BC.  I can certainly find out though.  I'll get back to you on it.

Thanks (again) for that Jordan. It'd be a interesting bit of trivia to know. :)

#17 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:12 PM

I've long heard rumors that actions scenes where shot of Bond's "Italian Job" that were supposed to be part of the pre-titles sequence, but maybe this is just a Bond urban myth.

That's what I assumed the picture was from when I saw it, but from what I knew of the "Italian Job" (not much BTW), that didn't really make sense.

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
Care to expand on tose rumours Zencat? I don't know the story.

That's really all I know. Seems I remember it was some kind of chase/shootout/stunt on a rooftop or something like this. I have no other information. Sorry.

L&LD has many of publicity pics that confuse people. The most famous, or infamous, is of Bond shooting a large howitzer-type anti-aircraft gun. This image even made it onto the poster! Yet it was just a publicity photo.

#19 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 12:39 PM

Originally posted by zencat

The most famous, or infamous, is of Bond shooting a large howitzer-type anti-aircraft gun. This image even made it onto the poster! Yet it was just a publicity photo.

Imagine the fun we would have had in these boards with that marketing idea in this day and age. I can imagine there would have been the odd one or two objections!!

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 12:45 AM

I saw a picture once of Roger Moore's Bond standing at the controls of what looks like a giant gun. One of the posters of Live and Let Die seemed to confirm there was such a scene, but I have never heard what it was in reference too.

#21 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 12:20 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
I saw a picture once of Roger Moore's Bond standing at the controls of what looks like a giant gun. One of the posters of Live and Let Die seemed to confirm there was such a scene, but I have never heard what it was in reference too.

Yes DL, the consensus of opinion is that it was just a publicity photo oportunity.

If you go this small thread located on the next page of this forum there is a little discussion complete with a photo on the matter.

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 07:50 PM

Okay, that clears up a long standing mystery for me....thanks

#23 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 03:24 AM

Originally posted by zencat

It is true there was a scene conceived for the "Italian job". This was to have occured immediately after the main titles. It was to introduce Moore as Bond in a similar manner as his predecessors. Meaning, you don't see his face until he is asked his name. "Bond, James Bond" and the theme was to fade in.

The scene itself is Bond purchasing secret information. The info was to have been etched onto two tiny contact lenses. Bond uses a special blue light to make sure the info is on the lenses. Then security forces surround the area (a private garden with a giant wall). Bond heaves the other man over the side of the wall. I have no information on the details of how Bond escapes or how he meets Miss Caruso.

#24 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 03:52 AM

Ahhh...The "urban Bond myths"

I have heard that the "Italian Job" was scrubbed partially do to the fact that they wanted to re-enforce Sean/Roger line.

Hence the humor came in, Bond drinking bourbon etc.

#25 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 04:00 AM

And this is why I love coming to CBN.

I have learned more about LALD in just this one thread, than I have in all the books I have read about the films.

I would suspect, Roger being a smart man, and having smart people around him, probably has all the photos Luisa has taken. Better he has them then some tabloid she would sell the photos to in revenge.

I also suspect, with the right motivation (a UNICEF fundraiser perhaps), Sir Roger could be persuaded to start his autobiography again. This time, he talks into a tape recorder, and someone else who knows how to back things up, types it out.

-- Xenobia

#26 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 02:16 PM

That would be an idea, hopefully someone in the right area can suggest and implement this.

It would certainly be a crying shame to not have Roger's light take on his career spelled out for the reading public, if only to recount all of the jokes and stories that abounded on his sets. His LALD book and Paul Simpers Saint book only touch on this area I'm sure.

#27 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 03:33 PM

I for one would love to read all about his exploits on set and see things from his POV. The stories between him and Desmond Llewellyn on set had me cracked up on the On Her Majesty’s Secret Service DVD!