#1 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52374

I must say: very impressive. Best teaser of the year.

#2 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

So it seems SecretAgentFan. Thanks for the teaser, really like the music and the overall tone of the piece.

Is it me or does that omega-shaped spaceship or gargantuous machine we see falling in the end seem like the fallen spacecraft that the mining ship crew encounters in Alien (1979)? BTW, I´ve read the said synopsis that some sites proclaimed to be true, and if it is indeed true, this is going to be EPIC.

Edited by univex, 22 December 2011 - 05:51 PM.

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:59 PM

Impressive teaser. This one will definitely be on my list to see for next year.

#4 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

I'm interested. I kind of feel that Scott kind of lost his touch in the 2000s. GLADIATOR was reasonably decent, but nothing that he has made since has ever come close to ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER. So I have high hopes for PROMETHEUS, and I'm encouraged by the cast - even if the trailer trailers told us more about the film than the actual trailer.

#5 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

Scott lost his touch after after 1982.

I love THE DUELLISTS, ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER. Everything else is pretty dire.

#6 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

Not everything he touches is gold, sure. But I very much enjoyed Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven or the new take on Robin Hood. However, I am still amazed at how he could follow the brilliant Blade Runner with the abysmal Legend. Truly amazing.

As far as Prometheus is concerned: It looks very promising, as does the film year 2012.

#7 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

Posted Image

#8 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:16 AM

Posted Image

My exact response

#9 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:04 AM

Posted Image

This is how you eventually look if you believe aliens bred us and built everything for us.

#10 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:05 AM

I wanted to make a meme of this (kind of like this) so that it was all one images with text, but I'm no good at photo manipulation. So I'll have to do it the hard way:

They went looking

Posted Image

For our beginning

Posted Image

What they found

Posted Image

Could be our end

PROMETHEUS

Posted Image

ALIENS

Posted Image

That was the only photo I could find of James Cameron looking very unimpressed.

#11 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:14 AM

A fifteen-paragraph treatment of the story has been leaked online, though I personally am not buying into it - it contains far too many elements of William Gibson's original draft for ALIEN 3. And the time-travelling element is silly.

#12 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

#13 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

What sort of accent is that, then?

Mike from Neighbours, innit? Bless.

#14 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Bloody hell, it is as well!

#15 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

Quite a bit of evil oozing from his speech, isn't it? I wonder if I would want to buy a car from this guy. Let alone let him get his hands on the world to change it.

#16 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Pearce is Australian, after all. Being Australian myself, I don't really notice Australian accents ... but it would be a nice touch if Weyland Industries was an Australian company, instead of the usual suspects for villainous conglomerates.

Quite a bit of evil oozing from his speech, isn't it? I wonder if I would want to buy a car from this guy. Let alone let him get his hands on the world to change it.

I don't think it's evil; more presumption than anything else. It's apt that he should tell the tale of Prometheus, given that he is making the same mistakes as Prometheus did in assuming that he can meddle with celestial forces beyond his comprehension without fear of consequences.

#17 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

Yes, I got that, merely supposed that could perhaps have been played a couple of notches less villainous. More charm - guy is living in social media paradise and wants to sell something after all - less telegraphing of fate perhaps, I don't know.

#18 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

Pearce is Australian, after all. Being Australian myself, I don't really notice Australian accents ... but it would be a nice touch if Weyland Industries was an Australian company, instead of the usual suspects for villainous conglomerates.

I assumed from the references to T.E. Lawrence and the comment about being "very much an Englishman" was an indication that this was a stab at Villainous Posh English. Being all of those three things, I can safely say it's not even close. Google Translator would do a better job. He sounds like a spaniel masticating a hot potato.

I don't think it's evil; more presumption than anything else. It's apt that he should tell the tale of Prometheus, given that he is making the same mistakes as Prometheus did in assuming that he can meddle with celestial forces beyond his comprehension without fear of consequences.

I suppose it explains the title for the thick and hard of learning, but it's all a bit clunky and obvious isn't it?

One suspects this character/waffer-theen exposition cipher is not long for the world but I do hope Bouncer makes it through.

#19 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

I suppose it explains the title for the thick and hard of learning, but it's all a bit clunky and obvious isn't it?

One suspects this character/waffer-theen exposition cipher is not long for the world but I do hope Bouncer makes it through.

This is part of a viral marketing campaign. I very much doubt that the TED conference will be in the finished film. I also think that it was supposed to be the big reveal that Pearce is playing Peter Weyland - furthering the connection to ALIEN - but that detail leaked a few days early.

And yes, it is exposition to recount the story of Prometheus ... but I have year eleven students who have never seen THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, and that story was told much sooner than that of Prometheus. It's better to get the exposition out of the way here and now than to have the film weighed down by it.

#20 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

Full theatrical trailer!

It's very intense:

According to screenwriter Damon Lindelof, the film was written around a central premise: "What if there was a scientific discovery that could end belief in God?". Not disprove the existence of God, but end it. The trailer definately reflects that theme.

#21 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Sounds like a really interesting premise and wow that trailer was awesome!

#22 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

Great trailer.

I just cannot understand why Scott is constantly downplaying the connection to ALIEN when it is so obvious that there is one.

#23 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

This looks somewhat interesting, but I must admit I was more excited by the teaser trailer. I'd be more interested if it didn't appear as though this is going to be a film where Hollywood tries to send some kind of a message about religion.

#24 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

I just cannot understand why Scott is constantly downplaying the connection to ALIEN when it is so obvious that there is one.

Probably because there is a connection to the ALIEN films, but the events of PROMETHEUS are largely unconnected to them. It would be a bit like EON making that Jinx spin-off (but better) and really selling it on its connection to Bond, only for Bond to be mentioned once in the script.

#25 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Probably because there is a connection to the ALIEN films, but the events of PROMETHEUS are largely unconnected to them. It would be a bit like EON making that Jinx spin-off (but better) and really selling it on its connection to Bond, only for Bond to be mentioned once in the script.

Right, though the design aesthetic is obviously suggesting a very strong connection into the ALIEN universe. It's always cool to explore philosophical ideas through sci-fi and I'm glad that's happening here, but the ALIEN fanboys are going to see it to find out what brought the space jockey to be sitting dead in the chair with the hole in his chest, and thus how the Pandora's Box containing the alien creatures was first opened. I know I'm as much excited to see that as to see what the origins of the space jockey race are.

#26 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

According to screenwriter Damon Lindelof, the film was written around a central premise: "What if there was a scientific discovery that could end belief in God?". Not disprove the existence of God, but end it.

If that is actually what PROMETHEUS is about, then for the first time this movie definitely has me intrigued. I'd assumed that it was just another ALIEN sequel, or ALIEN prequel/reboot/semi-remake/whatever, or sci-fi/horror/action yarn.

If it does indeed tackle the premise that Lindelof mentions, if it's actually about something, then I'm pleasantly surprised and most curious to see it.

#27 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

Right, though the design aesthetic is obviously suggesting a very strong connection into the ALIEN universe. It's always cool to explore philosophical ideas through sci-fi and I'm glad that's happening here, but the ALIEN fanboys are going to see it to find out what brought the space jockey to be sitting dead in the chair with the hole in his chest, and thus how the Pandora's Box containing the alien creatures was first opened. I know I'm as much excited to see that as to see what the origins of the space jockey race are.

The design aesthetic is there because it's in the same universe. However, Scott and Lindelof have both said that PROMETHEUS will not bridge the gap to ALIEN. There was a rumoured plot outline a few months ago - that was obviously written by a fan - that had PROMETHEUS ending with the space jockey ship becoming infested with xenomorphs and drifting off into space, but this isn't going to happen. PROMETHEUS is more of a side-quel than a straight prequel.

If that is actually what PROMETHEUS is about, then for the first time this movie definitely has me intrigued. I'd assumed that it was just another ALIEN sequel, or ALIEN prequel/reboot/semi-remake/whatever, or sci-fi/horror/action yarn.

If it does indeed tackle the premise that Lindelof mentions, if it's actually about something, then I'm pleasantly surprised and most curious to see it.

The trailer makes it pretty obvious that this is the case:
Spoiler

#28 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

Given all the advertising and Scott's comments, it looks like PROMETHEUS is poised to be the anti-2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, suggesting that behind the origin of humanity is not a benevolent force, but a malevolent one.

#29 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

Maybe not even that, Harmsway.

Spoiler

Anyway, international trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jRaa4Wkbk&feature=player_embedded#!

Less tension, more epic science fiction. Plus Michael Fassbender (who looks like he's really getting the android angle right; he seems to be square in the uncanny valley).

#30 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

Spoiler

I wouldn't count on such a reveal. The comments that Scott has made about PROMETHEUS and the Space Jockey race in particular seem to indicate that they're at the top of the food chain. The only people making AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS connections are fans, not anyone associated with the production.

I do think the end will have a big twist--apparently the last ten minutes of the film are pretty secret--but I think the twist is going to relate to something we've already seen in the trailers, and put a final exclamation point on the thematic strand as expressed by Scott.