This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Daniel Craig to become longest-serving James Bond?

New deal seems to suggest so!

146 replies to this topic

#61 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

Actually, I don´t want Craig to stay on just to fill out the time until the 60th anniversary or to top Moore´s tenure.

He should (and probably will) stay in the role just as long as he wants to or feels the need to. With three Bond films done he should at least do Bond 24 or Bond 25 (hey, another anniversary!) and then bow out.

#62 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

I think that 8 Bond movies is too much for Craig. He looks older than his age by a few years, and we don't need another Roger Moore in AVTAK type situation to come up for the last couple of Craig Bond movies.

Bond is supposed to be in his 40's, not his late 50's or early 60's. If Craig looks like a 58 year old come film 6 then it's time to recast. Craig is my age. I think he's good for 2 or 3 more Bond movies, but after that it's questionable.

#63 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Things always change. Brosnan was supposed to do another film after Die Another Day with Damien Falco as a recurring character. Likewise, Quantum was supposed to recur after Quantum of Solace, with the Guy Haines plotline extended. I can see Craig doing 1-2 more films after Skyfall (assuming the usual 2 year gap, although I have a feeling it will become 3 soon considering how long films take to get made these days). Craig is a physical Bond, so I can't see him doing a Moore.

#64 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

Yep anything's up in the air even by Producer announcement #12349. The New Fresh Bond phase is still ongoing. After the abrupt sacking of Brosnan there's a bit of a shadow hanging and it is not wise to hear any noise or trust the singing birds just yet.

#65 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Likewise, Quantum was supposed to recur after Quantum of Solace, with the Guy Haines plotline extended.

Really? Where did you get that info?

#66 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

Things always change. Brosnan was supposed to do another film after Die Another Day with Damien Falco as a recurring character. Likewise, Quantum was supposed to recur after Quantum of Solace, with the Guy Haines plotline extended. I can see Craig doing 1-2 more films after Skyfall (assuming the usual 2 year gap, although I have a feeling it will become 3 soon considering how long films take to get made these days). Craig is a physical Bond, so I can't see him doing a Moore.

I feel more bullish about Craig's longevity. He does indeed look older than his age, but that factor is "priced in". Audiences expect him to be craggy, so it's not as if he'll lose favor by becoming slightly craggier. He can play the role as long as he stays physically fit and emotionally invested in the part. Even at three-year intervals, he could make three more films and retire from the role at the relatively young age of 53, after a record-breaking fifteen-year tenure. The seventh Bond actor would be cast just in time for the sixtieth anniversary of the franchise.

#67 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

I feel more bullish about Craig's longevity. He does indeed look older than his age, but that factor is "priced in". Audiences expect him to be craggy, so it's not as if he'll lose favor by becoming slightly craggier. He can play the role as long as he stays physically fit and emotionally invested in the part. Even at three-year intervals, he could make three more films and retire from the role at the relatively young age of 53, after a record-breaking fifteen-year tenure. The seventh Bond actor would be cast just in time for the sixtieth anniversary of the franchise.

This is a very good point. Craig did never exactly look young (or young-ish) as Bond. Nobody is going to take much issue with a few more lines in his face. The crucial point is, he looks as if he could deal with trouble even if he was sixty. His capital isn't a prettyboy face but a hard-as-nails vigour, and that isn't likely to change with age. I don't see him do such a long run as you, but as long as the trend favours him and he can deliver this kind of physical presence - his face won't let him down.

#68 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:10 AM

I still think it could happen their are so many new franchises I think long serving roles are a thing of popularity.
TOM CRUISE/ETHAN HUNT : since 1996 and counting.
HUGH JACKMAN/WOLVERINE : since 2000 and counting.
THE FAST AND THE FOURIOUS series is still going since 2001 and the RESIDENT EVIL series since 2002.
Look at all the older series making comebacks like ROCKY, RAMBO, DIE HARD and INDIANA JONES

I though I heard that the guy who played CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER is signed on for 8 films, although he has the AVENGERS as well.

I never followed them but did people get sick of the HARRY POTTER films the 8th time around?

#69 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

I think that 8 Bond movies is too much for Craig. He looks older than his age by a few years, and we don't need another Roger Moore in AVTAK type situation to come up for the last couple of Craig Bond movies.

Very true. I think six is a good number as long as he doesn't age all that much in the next few years and they get the films out as fast as they plan.

With each "long-tenured" actor (Connery, Moore, & Brosnan), there's a certain point where you can tell they don't look quite as young as they once did. With Connery it's DAF that sticks out to me. For Moore, as much as I Iove FYEO, he looks considerably older to me than in TSWLM (though, not AVTAK old). Brosnan, as I've previously stated looks pretty much the same to me from GE through TWINE (just with different hair styles for some reason), but looks slightly older in DAD.

#70 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

The older Craig gets the more they will pull the camera back is all, I think with the right management 5 more films in 10 years is possible.

#71 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

Like others, I feel eight is pushing it. I bet he does five total, though I'd love him to match Connery with six.

#72 FredJB007

FredJB007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Five would be awesome, if we get anymore, its icing on the cake!

#73 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

I hope he does at least Bond 24 and 25, with 2 year intervals he'd be 48 then, Since his face is "ageless" perhaps even Bond 26 making his number of films equal to Connery.

#74 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

, Since his face is "ageless" ...

That's certainly the most chivalrous way you could have phrased it! :-)

But I'll be more blunt and say that since "losing his looks" is not going to be a factor in Craig's case, the only things likely to stop him are (1) an eventual inability to make the physical stuff look convincing, (2) his own desire to move on or (3) diminishing box office returns. None of which seem imminent at this stage.

#75 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

Let's compare this to two other prominent cases. When Roger Moore got the role in 1972, who would have thought he would still be Bond in 1985? For that matter, who would have bet a single penny in 1963 on Connery playing the same role a full twenty years later? It is downright impossible to predict anything in the show-business with any kind of certainty, today less than ever.

#76 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

As much as I love Craig as Bond, I think I would be more excited about what a new actor would bring to the role than seeing Craig for a 6th, 7th or 8th time.

#77 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 8th Harry Potter film made the most money in the box office, right?

DC is one of Britain's finest actors and the most psychical Bond to date. So the best of both worlds, I couldn't imagine the producers giving up early on him and I doubt anyone is ready for another introduction film.

#78 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

DC is the most psychical Bond to date.

So that's how he won the poker game...

#79 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:24 AM

DC is the most psychical Bond to date.

So that's how he won the poker game...

Bond won the poker game silly and Daniel Craig is the actor playing him. ;)

#80 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:25 AM

, Since his face is "ageless" ...

That's certainly the most chivalrous way you could have phrased it! :-)

He's not "boyishly" handsome but has a rugged masculine look, the same as Connery, and he is fit to the boot. Certainly he would be more believable in action at 50 than Brosnan ever were. Only thing that could cause problems is his hair but dye and toupees have been invented. He (or should I say, Bond) could grow his hair a bit longer though. :)

#81 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:28 AM

I can see him doing another one (Bond 24) but I always get the feeling he is half looking forward to finishing with Bond, not being a fan of the media and public attention that comes with it. He is quite a serious actor and enjoys making quality films. I don't think he's in love with the Bond role. I actually believe he thinks of them as individual films where he happens to be playing the same character, rather than in the business of making Bond movies.

So, to sum up, maybe one more, if he isn't tired of the hype.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#82 AndrewBond

AndrewBond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Ideally, I'd like to see the series return to the its regular pace of two years, with Craig in the role through 2018 (as long as he wants to, of course). I think Brosnan ended at the perfect time, and we learned a lot from Moore. Bond is not in his 50s, he's in his mid-thirties-forties.

#83 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Ideally, I'd like to see the series return to the its regular pace of two years, with Craig in the role through 2018 (as long as he wants to, of course). I think Brosnan ended at the perfect time, and we learned a lot from Moore. Bond is not in his 50s, he's in his mid-thirties-forties.

As mentioned previously, I see no problem with Craig continuing into his early fifties if he remains fit and believable and they age him in the films appropriately. The main problem with Roger is not that he was in his fifties in general, but that you had a 57 year old Roger pretending to be a 40 year old Bond.

If they make his age a factor in a plot, then it shouldn't be a problem. I doubt he'll be around that long, but I'd be happy to continue the two year gap. That gives him six films total and then he can retire from Bond at 50 years old. One year later than Brosnan, who was 49, and two films more. Win-win, I'd say.

#84 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

What do we make of Wilson's latest comments? Craig could leave when he peaks? Just PR for SKYFALL or a new decision Craig has made?

#85 L4YRCAKE

L4YRCAKE

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

Daniel Craig will, most likely, be in better shape at 60 than most of us will ever be in our entire lives. And letting the character age with the role is only good for the character and the stories, keeping him perpetually young is nothing but a marketing decision at best.

I hope he surpasses 8 films total, and I'm willing to bet Mr. Craig agrees...

#86 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Impossible to say how it finally plays out. Could be it's a move in the contract negotiations on EON's side. Despite various different rumours there has never been definite word on what kind of contract Craig has for his Bond role. So chances are it was the usual three-with-an-option-on-a-fourth, with the details of the fourth being subject to further proceedings. Which can mean anything really, from another three films to a single one or both sides bowing out graciously. I suppose we'll see come December or so.

#87 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

If he does more than 5 films i'll be VERY surprised. Time isn't being too kind to ol' Danny, as fit as he is. He'll be nearly 50 years old by the time Bond 25 comes out and i think he'll decide to call it a day by then.

#88 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Still missing a memorable henchman. Necros puts all these guys to shame...he had his own theme! Only Bond Henchman to have one!

Wint and Kidd?

#89 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

What do we make of Wilson's latest comments? Craig could leave when he peaks? Just PR for SKYFALL or a new decision Craig has made?

What comments did Wilson make and when?

#90 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

Said something about the franchise during an industry seminar:

http://www.standard....nd-8038215.html