5 replies to this topic

#1 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

While watching "FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE", I noticed that the dining car aboard the Orient Express did not look particularly . . . luxurious. Did the movie accurately reflect the diminishing glamour of the Orient Express by the early 1960s? Or was this simply a case of slightly cheap production values?

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

No, don't think that's an example of diminishing glamour. I've seen some of the famous trains of the last century myself and most of the coaches aren't that luxurious or sumptuous. But that's nothing to do with cheap production values, today we simply have a different understanding of travelling in style and luxury in general. In the end you are still in a railway compartment, whether you go by Stansted Express or The Royal Scotsman. Which means you are in a relatively small space travelling at a relatively low speed and relatively close to the landscape you're crossing.

#3 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

While watching "FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE", I noticed that the dining car aboard the Orient Express did not look particularly . . . luxurious. Did the movie accurately reflect the diminishing glamour of the Orient Express by the early 1960s? Or was this simply a case of slightly cheap production values?

I agree. Together DR76, we should burn down every single last one of them.

A 21st Century Bonnie and Clyde.

#4 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

Bear in mind also that the Orient Express of that time was a much more functional, utilitarian train than the overdressed anniversary treat for 50 somethings it has been reborn as today.

#5 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

I read somewhere, though my quick check of references fails to disclose the source, that the Orient Express in the time of FRWL had diminished to the point that it had no dining car at all. The scenes in the film were shot on a set.

#6 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

In any case, after WWII, the Orient Express was slowly declining. It kept on until 1977, but by then was reduced to 3 coaches only and just 1 sleeping coach. Then from 1977 on, it was progressively "rebuilt" by an entrepreneur buying back the coaches one by one and eventually getting the whole rolling again.
Lucky for us who can now enjoy its splendor. In all honesty I don't think Bond could have, back then. At least not the way we know it.