3 replies to this topic

#1 DJL

DJL

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 01:01 PM

Saturday 16th November 16th November ITV1

Tenor Russell Watson introduces a selection of stars performing songs from the James Bond films.

Accompanied the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Girl group Bond starts with the Bond theme, others include
Marty Pellow - From Russia with Love
Samantha Mumba - For Your Eyes Only
Diana Krall - The World is not Enough

#2 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 01:44 PM

ITV are pullingt out all the stops this Bond season aren't they? Haven't heard of any film showings though.

#3 Barryfan

Barryfan

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 06:41 PM

Had the very thought of a Bond musical extravaganza hosted by Russell Watson sent Barry, Arnold and Co to an early grave, they are now no doubt furiously turning in them as I type.

Lulu looked thoroughly unhappy miming (!!!) over the original recording of The Man With The Golden Gun, and the irritating Watson not only flubbed his simple, yet unimaginative ad libs on Diamonds Are Forever, but also took it upon himself to rewrite the lyrics of one of the finest of all Bond songs, warbling that "the way that you love me is keeping all my secrets safe tonight..." Obviously also unhappy with Licence To Kill, the ambitious Watson consistently swapped his lines back-to-front.

But in fairness, he wasn't the only one struggling with lyrics. Cleo managed to jump to an entirely different song during her performance of For Your Eyes Only, belting out an unrestrained "The world is-" before hurriedly correcting her (rather curious) blunder.

Atomic Kitten just looked plain embarassed as they jigged unethusiastically to the limp rendition of Live And Let Die's legendary chorus section - and whatever happened to Paul McCartney's dictum that the arrangement of the song not be tinkered with? I haven't got a clue what was going on in there, but it certainly wasn't Live And Let Die. Looks like Muiscal Director William Hayward, whoever he might actually be, could be in hot water.

And to add insult to a growing list of injuries, the editing of the Bond teaser clips somehow managed to make the most successful film series in history look about as appealing as an episode of Noel's House Party. The only real saving grace was Bond's instrumental version of Goldfinger.

Overhall, a truly terrible show - a HUGE disappointment!

#4 steppin'out

steppin'out

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 06:10 PM

In reply to Barryfan Cleo was called in with only a few hours notice and had to learnt that song in those short hours. If you noticed it was Samantha Mumba who should have been performing. I think she gave an excellent performance with such a short time to rehearse and more importantly learn the song