#1 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

Hi all,

I am a fan (albeit new) of spy fiction. As such, I've read most of the works by Le Carre, Alan Furst, and Len Deighton. I've looked through various lists online that recommend writers such as Alex Berenson, Jack Higgins, Charles McCarry, etc. For those of you that read and enjoy spy fiction are there any particular novelists or novels that you recommend?

#2 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hi all,

I am a fan (albeit new) of spy fiction. As such, I've read most of the works by Le Carre, Alan Furst, and Len Deighton. I've looked through various lists online that recommend writers such as Alex Berenson, Jack Higgins, Charles McCarry, etc. For those of you that read and enjoy spy fiction are there any particular novelists or novels that you recommend?

Take a look at Norman Mailer's "Harlot's Ghost" and see if it interests you. It's a very detailed, fictionalized history of the CIA through the Cold War era.

#3 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Hi all,

Take a look at Norman Mailer's "Harlot's Ghost" and see if it interests you. It's a very detailed, fictionalized history of the CIA through the Cold War era.

Thanks. Looks very interesting. I've read "The Naked and the Dead" and enjoyed it so I'll definitely be checking this out.

#4 Secret Treaties

Secret Treaties

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:27 PM

A very long, intricate read - Mailer's ambition extends far beyond simply providing a slam-bang tale of suspense. His ambition in this book was nothing less than using the development of the CIA, interweaving fact and fiction, to illustrate and explore 20th century American history. It's a very different book than even Le Carre's densest novels.

#5 Clements

Clements

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:46 AM

Here are a few suggestions:

Charles Cumming: sort of a younger, fresher le Carre. "A Spy By Nature" and its sequel "The Spanish Game" are both excellent, as is "Typhoon". His latest, "The Trinity Six", is also enjoyable and entertaining but is more of a "thriller" - faster pace, plot twists, less focus on character.

Robert Harris: "Enigma" (about the Bletchly Park code breakers in WWII) and "Archangel" (about the search for what may be Stalin's notebook - adapted for TV by the BBC, starring Daniel Craig)

Charles McCarry: "The Last Supper" is the "biography" of Paul Christopher, the main character in most of his other novels. Deighton's "Winter" is the best comparison I can think of at the moment. "The Tears of Autumn" is an interesting take on the Kennedy assassination (also featuring Paul Christopher).

Henry Porter: "A Spy's Life"

Robert Baer: "Blow the House Down"

For something rather different, Greg Rucka's series of "Queen & Country" graphic novels are worth checking out.

(Since you're posting here, I've assumed you don't need anyone to recommend Fleming :D )

@Eric Stromberg - thanks for the tip about "Harlot's Ghost", I hadn't heard of it before.

#6 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:44 AM

There's one essential author missing from this thread: Graham Greene.

#7 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:12 AM

And Eric Ambler.

#8 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

And Eric Ambler.

I noticed that Aln Furst was mentioned earlier. If you like Furst, you will like Ambler, and vice versa.

#9 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

There's one essential author missing from this thread: Graham Greene.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten about Greene. I had read "Our Man in Havana," some time ago. Really enjoyed it.

#10 Secret Treaties

Secret Treaties

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:28 AM

Try The Human Factor too. A late Greene novel, but one of his best.

#11 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:12 AM

Don't forget Adam Hall's Quiller novels.

#12 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:36 AM

Mark this thread under "reasons why I love CBn."

As for Ambler stuff, I loved "Passage of Arms" and "The Light of Day." Haven't decided if the rest is worth my time yet.

#13 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

Hi all,

Lord knows I've tried to read John LeCarre: (Absolute Friends, Smiley's People, Tailor From Panama, The Russia House, just to name a few) and I find it so painstaking. His stories move with the speed of a GLACIER.

#14 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

Lord knows I've tried to read John LeCarre: (Absolute Friends, Smiley's People, Tailor From Panama, The Russia House, just to name a few) and I find it so painstaking. His stories move with the speed of a GLACIER.
[/quote]

I recall moving steadily through "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold," but plodding through "Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy."

#15 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

These are mine:
The Hunt For Red October by Tom Clancy

Patriot Games by Tom Clancy

The Cardinal Of Kremlin by Tom Clancy

Clear And Present Danger by Tom Clancy

The Sum Of All Fears by Tom Clancy

Debt Of Hornor By Tom Clancy

Executive Order by Tom Clancy

Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy

Dead Or Alive by Tom Clancy

The Spy who Came In Fom the Cold By John Le Carre

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre

Smiley's People by John Le Carre

A Perfect Spy by John Le Carre

The Secret Pilgrim by John Le Carre

Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn

James Bond: Role Of Hornor by John Gardner

Also try these authors and these work of their's.

The October Circle by Robert Littell
The Sisters by Robert Littell
The Company by Robert Littell

Cauldron by Larry Bond
Enemy Within by Larry Bond
Red Dragon Rising: Shadows of War by Larry Bond
Red Dragon Rising: Edge of Warby Larry Bond

Act of War by Dale Brown
Shadow Command by Dale Brown
Executive Intent by Dale Brown
Raven Strike by Dale Brown with Jim DeFelice

Brotherhood of the Rose by David Morrell
Burnt Sienna by David Morrell
The Spy Who Came for Christmas by David Morrell

Special Ops by W. E. B. Griffin
By Order of the President by W. E. B. Griffin
Black Ops by W. E. B. Griffin
Covert Warriors by W. E. B. Griffin

The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
The Fourth Protocol by Frederick Forsyth
The Deceiver by Frederick Forsyth
The Afghan by Frederick Forsyth

The Unlikely Spy by Daniel Silva
The Secret Servant by Daniel Silva
The Defector by Daniel Silva
Portrait of a Spy by Daniel Silva

Secret Justice by James W. Houston
Marine One by James W. Houston

The Faithful Spy by Alex Berenson
The Ghost War by Alex Berenson
The Secret Soldier by Alex Berenson
The Shadow Patrol by Alex Berenson

Edited by Syndicate, 16 November 2011 - 07:19 PM.

#16 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

[quote name='Syndicate' timestamp='1321467385' post='1173275']
These are mine:
The Hunt For Red October by Tom Clancy

Patriot Games by Tom Clancy

The Cardinal Of Kremlin by Tom Clancy

Clear And Present Danger by Tom Clancy

The Sum Of All Fears by Tom Clancy

The Sum Of All Fears was, by far, my FAVORITE Jack Ryan story. Quite a tragedy that the politially correct producers (Tom Clancy included) watered down the plot, so as to not offend the Muslim audience. On the DVD's comentary track, Clancy introduces himself as "The author, whose book was ignored."

#17 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

Is there any particular reason why you enjoy the Clancy novels so? Admittedly, I have only read 2 novels (Rainbow Six and Patriot Games), and it was some time ago, but I don't recall being blown away by either. Perhaps I should give them another go?

#18 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

I enjoy any of the Allon books by Daniel Silva, from The Kill Artist through to Death in Vienna (which is as far as I've got in this great series). Also, The Unlikely Spy by Silva is a great WWII spy thriller.

As for Clancy, I find the Cardinal of the Kremlin to be his best, as it plays as more of a straight-forward spy thriller than many of the others which lean more toward political/military thriller (though these can be very good in their own right). Red Rabbit, though loathed by some, is a great prequel to Cardinal and I really enjoyed it.

Ludlum I've read and continue to read every so often but I find myself up and down with his books. They start out great, drag themselves out with verbose narrative and more exposition than necessary, but pick up and wrap up really well in the last act. I guess I read them in anticipation of the ending, even if I know much of the middle will be a bit muddy. All that said, I've only read a handful, including all the Bourne books, but my viewpoint hasn't really changed from book to book.

I've acquired the entire Hawke series by Ted Bell but have yet to read any. Many of the reviews seem to speak highly of them as light, fun spy thrillers. Any CBN members familiar with this series who care to opine?

#19 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

You should really try Trevanian.

Shibumi is his masterpiece in terms of spy novels, but the Hemlock novels are enjoyable too (The Eiger Sanction, and The Loo Sanction). Be aware that they are pastiche spy novels, but brilliant ones.

#20 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:14 PM

Is there any particular reason why you enjoy the Clancy novels so? Admittedly, I have only read 2 novels (Rainbow Six and Patriot Games), and it was some time ago, but I don't recall being blown away by either. Perhaps I should give them another go?

He understands the real spy, special ops, presidential level and so on. He also use a lot of the terms and military and spy stuff in his novel. He can write a good scence where the CIA Director, DDI(Deputy Director Of Intelligence), Director Of National Clandestine Service(use to be called the Deputy Director Of Operation) having a meeting together and key issues related to the story. Even with them talking about is it just a regular daily intelligence brefing or it more important then that. He'll have it some what detail too, like who needs to know. Clancy have done it more then once in his novels where there is almost a whole chapter on the White House Intelligence brefing, and House or Senate Intelligence hearing. Clancy knows the difference between a CIA Operation Officer in Special Activities Division and regular Operation Officer NOT in Special Activities Division and their roles out in the field. Clancy also understands the role of a CIA Analyst in the spy business. I would think Clancy understands the "CIA Act of 1949" or "Public Law 110", National Security Act of 1947, the U.S. Intelligence Community and the Posse Comitatus Act. Even the name of the opertions in his novels sound like it real, and he has more then one in some novels. There are alot more stuff that Clancy know that I can say but those are some of the stuff.

There is NO super spy forumla in his novels at all, unlike Vince Flynn there is alittle mix with close to the real world.

#21 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

He understands the real spy, special ops, presidential level and so on. He also use a lot of the terms and military and spy stuff in his novel. He can write a good scence where the CIA Director, DDI(Deputy Director Of Intelligence), Director Of National Clandestine Service(use to be called the Deputy Director Of Operation) having a meeting together and key issues related to the story. Even with them talking about is it just a regular daily intelligence brefing or it more important then that. He'll have it some what detail too, like who needs to know. Clancy have done it more then once in his novels where there is almost a whole chapter on the White House Intelligence brefing, and House or Senate Intelligence hearing. Clancy knows the difference between a CIA Operation Officer in Special Activities Division and regular Operation Officer NOT in Special Activities Division and their roles out in the field. Clancy also understands the role of a CIA Analyst in the spy business. I would think Clancy understands the "CIA Act of 1949" or "Public Law 110", National Security Act of 1947, the U.S. Intelligence Community and the Posse Comitatus Act. Even the name of the opertions in his novels sound like it real, and he has more then one in some novels. There are alot more stuff that Clancy know that I can say but those are some of the stuff.

There is NO super spy forumla in his novels at all, unlike Vince Flynn there is alittle mix with close to the real world.

Yes, if you want to know the day-to-day operations within Langley or other government offices and military departments, Clancy seems to hit the nail on the head. Even though there can be some heavy detail, for the most part it isn't too plodding. You come to accept it as part of Clancy's style. It's all fascinating real-world stuff. If you only enjoy the less-realistic fantasy end of the spy genre then Clancy may not float your boat.

#22 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

You should really try Trevanian.

Shibumi is his masterpiece in terms of spy novels, but the Hemlock novels are enjoyable too (The Eiger Sanction, and The Loo Sanction). Be aware that they are pastiche spy novels, but brilliant ones.

I'll definitely check those novels out. Thanks!

Yes, if you want to know the day-to-day operations within Langley or other government offices and military departments, Clancy seems to hit the nail on the head. Even though there can be some heavy detail, for the most part it isn't too plodding. You come to accept it as part of Clancy's style. It's all fascinating real-world stuff. If you only enjoy the less-realistic fantasy end of the spy genre then Clancy may not float your boat.

Yes, I remember there being a lot of technical know how. I think I'll try re-reading those. Thanks for the recommendations!

#23 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

I forgot to say Le Carre also don't use the super spy formula in his novels at all. But he don't use too much of the terms and in his novels. He also NOT like Vince Flynn mix of a little of the super spy formula in his close to the real world.

Edited by Syndicate, 18 November 2011 - 02:35 AM.

#24 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:04 AM

Well, most of the good ones have already been mentioned. But I would like to repeat Clancy and Ludlum. Clancy for detail and actually knowing pretty well what he's writing on. I remember an interview with John Gardner writing about the inside of Chyanne Mountain's military facility and he pretty much said he made it up. Clancy would have found out, visited, seen the thing for himself, or at least a decommissioned base along the same lines, enough to make what he writes truly authentic. Ludlum I love because what he lacks in tech knowledge he makes up for in knowing plotting. He started as an actor and knows story beats pretty well so it's always a fun read.

As for LeCarre. I started with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and read that entire Karla trilogy before moving on. I love his work, very lyrical, the story almost happens around you when reading, it just simply happens in the gorgeous way he unfolds plots. The Russia House was slow, but still good. Absolute Friends drove me nutz, A Most Wanted Man was nice for the writing, but plot and characters seemed like cardboard mouthpieces.

#25 Secret Treaties

Secret Treaties

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:25 AM

I think if Graham Greene has a heir, it is John Le Carre.

#26 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:44 AM

I forgot to say this, in Cardinal of the Kremlin Clancy had a part where I think was the Chairman Of The Join Chief Of Staff arguing with the FBI Director in front of the President in the White House. It was on who should be use to rescue the Army Engineer that was the kidnap by the KGB inside the U.S.. The Chairman Of The Join Chief Of Staff wanted to use Delta Force, since it was a Army person that was kidnap. The FBI Director wanted the FBI HRT to do the rescue, since it inside the U.S. and it fall on as the FBI's job not the military. It all do to the Posse Comitatus Act. Clancy did not say anything about the Posse Comitatus Act in that part. But it told me Clancy understood it very well. In the end the President said use the FBI HRT and if don't work and fails, then Delta Force will go in and do the job.

Edited by Syndicate, 23 November 2011 - 05:17 PM.

#27 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

William F. Buckley Jr.'s Blackford Oakes novels, with emphasis on a few of the early ones such as Saving the Queen and Who's On First?

...and then there's this Fleming fellow...former journalist and spook like Buckley...wrote a few yarns back in the 50's, I think.

#28 Secret Treaties

Secret Treaties

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

William F. Buckley Jr.'s Blackford Oakes novels, with emphasis on a few of the early ones such as Saving the Queen and Who's On First?

...and then there's this Fleming fellow...former journalist and spook like Buckley...wrote a few yarns back in the 50's, I think.

I've always wondered if Buckley's Oakes novels were worth anyone's time. Will try one out.

#29 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

I also like spy fiction and is there any good books post 9/11 I just want books for CIA agents also want some for MI6. I know there are lots but which novels are the best and realistic to real life

#30 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hi all,

Have you tried Ian Fleming?... ;)
Joking aside, have you heard of Jean Bruce (http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Jean_Bruce)? Admittedly, it's far from being the best spy author, but it is quite enjoyable, especially if you already went through Le Carre, Greene, etc. It could provide a refreshing change.