3 replies to this topic

#1 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

Came across this scene while browsing on YouTube and was not sure if anyone had seen it. Its an extension of the Pretitles at the cricket match. Interesting stuff. They should have kept it.

#2 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

Interesting stuff. They should have kept it.

I disagree. The final scene is written in a very particular fashion - the scene with Bond and Dryden is perfectly calm, while the scene with Bond and Fisher is very violent. The obvious intention is juxtaposition, showing Bond's demeanour before and after his first kill. The whole "You needn't worry. The second is--" / "Yes. Considerably." exchange is the focus of the scene. Showing the sequence of Bond following Fischer to the bathroom slows everything down and dilutes the point. The dramatic effect is lost.

#3 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

Yes, the other reasonn for cutting the cricket scene, was that it mirrors the action when Bond is observing, then tracking down the bomb maker.

#4 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

I like it, but I'm glad they deleted the cricket footage. The change in Bond's demeanor is demonstrated far more clearly with the more concisely edited scene.