20 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

I read a while ago that Alan Rickman was approached for the role of 006 in GoldenEye, but turned it down. Now, I for one think Rickman is an amazing actor and would've been brilliant in the part. I think Sean Bean's great, but Rickman would've brought so much class and sophistication to the role. It would be so easy to imagine him as a British agent.

#2 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

would he been Professor Snape if play 006?

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

Ummm, probably considering GoldenEye was in 1995, and Potter started in 2001.

#4 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Quite Honestly, I Believe Sean Bean Would Of Been The Only 006 For Me. In My Opinion, Bean's Performance Cemented His Character As One Of The Most Dangerous Villains Of The Series (Recognizing Bond's Watch, Knowing Bond Himself So Well). I Will Admit Though, It Would Have Been Very Interesting To Have Saw Rickman In That Role.

#5 Elmason

Elmason

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

It would have been interesting to see but I think that they would have had to alter the character from what we saw slightly.

You're right about him having enough class to portray a British agent and we could all imagine him offing someone with a silenced pistol but I couldn't really imagine him having the physicality to participate in the fist fight on the satellite array. The rest he could do with his eyes closed........well probably not the shooting!

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

It would have been interesting to see but I think that they would have had to alter the character from what we saw slightly.

You're right about him having enough class to portray a British agent and we could all imagine him offing someone with a silenced pistol but I couldn't really imagine him having the physicality to participate in the fist fight on the satellite array. The rest he could do with his eyes closed........well probably not the shooting!

Hmmm. I'm not sure. He was great in DIE HARD and that was 6 years previously. I think he could've handed the fight scenes very well.

#7 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

There's only one 006. Sean Bean.

#8 Elmason

Elmason

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

You're right he was excellent in Die Hard but even there he didn't do much heavy lifting he had the guy with the long blonde hair to do that.

He was very smooth and very good with a pistol and machine gun.

Bond I am going to count to count to three......there will not be a four!

#9 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

Rickman circa 1994.

Posted Image

I can almost imagine it. The character would have been very different. Not necessarily less physical, but definitely less of an "anti-Bond", which is basically what Trevelyan was. He'd have been more cerebral. One indisputable advantage over Bean: the Lienz cossack story would make way more sense with someone of Rickman's age (he was born in 1945). That WWII stuff seems like it was an absent-minded holdover from the early draft where Trevelyan was a senior agent.

#10 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

It probably came from France's second draft, or one of the Caine drafts; in the first draft I've read, Trevelyan does not have the Lienz Cossack backstory -- he's just a traitorous bastard who got sick of working for MI6 during the Cold War and went over, and doesn't really care which side he's on, sort of like Jim Phelps (regrettably) in the 1995 Mission: Impossible movie.

#11 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:42 AM

What I liked about Bean was that he had the same training and experience as Bond, but was not as sophisticated (Scaramanga had the sophistication, and imagined that he and Bond were brothers under the skin, but he was wrong). Trevelyan was envious of Bond; that came through time and again as he taunted Bond (006: "Lovely girl. tastes like - strawberries." Bond: "I wouldn't know." 006: I would!" and, later, "You know, I was always better").

Rickman would have done well with the arrogance part, but he would have had to supress his natural sophistication (unless the character were written that way) and I just can't see him being as physical as Bean in the final confrontation. Then again, neither would Anthony Hopkins have been, but as the script was rewritten for Bean, so it would have been rewritten for Rickman, and we wouldn't have known the difference (until we started posting here about how much better Sean Bean might have been, instead of Rickman or Hopkins).

Yer just can't win.

#12 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

I sent you the script, right, Hornet? If you didn't get it, here's a link to it: http://swamptales.us...hael-france.pdf

#13 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:26 AM

I read a while ago that Alan Rickman was approached for the role of 006 in GoldenEye, but turned it down. Now, I for one think Rickman is an amazing actor and would've been brilliant in the part. I think Sean Bean's great, but Rickman would've brought so much class and sophistication to the role. It would be so easy to imagine him as a British agent.

I think the original plot of GOLDENEYE featured Alec Trevalyan as Augustus Trevalyan. Rather than being a former Double-Oh, he was a former Station Chief or maybe even a former M. Parts of this showed up in the script; Alec remembers the Cossacks being repatriated to the USSR and the subsequent massacre, which happened fifty years before the events of GOLDENEYE. Alec, however, is clearly not fifty years old (one assumes his parents told him about it before his father's murder-suicide). The script was evidently rewritten when Bean was cast in the role, but there are a few minor plot holes like this.

#14 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

Bit old?

Could see him as Elliot Carver, though.

#15 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

He's only seven years older than Brosnan and as has been mentioned many times before, Bean was rather too young for the role (re the character's history). Rickman could have been interesting but was kind of viewed as evil-Brit for hire at the time following his roles in Die Hard and Prince of Thieves, so the casting may have seemed a bit obvious.

TBH I've never liked Bean as 006 (his accent is dreadful) or GE in general - one of the most overrated films in the series.

Edited by Peckinpah1976, 07 November 2011 - 07:39 AM.

#16 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

would he been Professor Snape if play 006?

Must be a young'in. Whenever someone mentiones Rickman my first thought is always Hans Gruber or The Sheriff of Nottingham.

#17 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

TBH I've never liked Bean as 006 (his accent is dreadful) or GE in general - one of the most overrated films in the series.

What's wrong with Bean's accent? Is it that he's trying too hard to disguise his northern origins? Or is it that he's not trying hard enough? (I notice you're from northern England, so I presume it's something about that.) As an American, I never noticed anything especially "off" about his accent. I guess he sounds a little northern, which doesn't precisely fit with the character. But it's hardly as disconcerting as the New York drawl coming out of Chris Walken. MOWAH PAOWAH. To say nothing of of Telly Savalas, who sounds like a smutty Fred Flintstone.

#18 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

he's just a traitorous bastard who got sick of working for MI6 during the Cold War and went over, and doesn't really care which side he's on, sort of like Jim Phelps (regrettably) in the 1995 Mission: Impossible movie.

That could have been so much better. They could have written it in such a way that Phelps realised it was a mole hunt targeting Claire, and then staged his own death to lure Ethan away from the waiting death-trap. Phelps would set Ethan up as the mole, knowing that Ethan would chase him to clear his own name. Unfortuantely, events would play out in such a way that Phelps would be forced to commit treason to expose the mole because he knew that catching the mole would be more important. Although he would die, his treachery would be kept quiet and his name would be preserved.

#19 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

I'm certain that Alan Rickman would have done an excellent job in giving his own twist on the role. But in the end, I was more than satisfied with Sean Bean's first-rate performance. And I now consider Bean to be one of the better Bond villains in the franchise.

#20 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Well, Bean is just a terrific actor, all-round; I don't think he's been bum in a role yet.

#21 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

What's wrong with Bean's accent? Is it that he's trying too hard to disguise his northern origins? Or is it that he's not trying hard enough? (I notice you're from northern England, so I presume it's something about that.)

It's a preposterous straining of received pronounciation but possibly all the more preposterous because one knows what he does sound like in real life and it's therefore terribly distracting. He'd have been much better off using his normal voice although I accept that many outside of the UK would not have immediately tuned into it. He seemed to do something similar in The Lord of the Rings but then no-one really knows what persons from Gondor would sound like so I suppose that's OK. GoldenEye is full of preposterous accents - Coltrane's striding around Eastern Europe without ever really settling down, Cumming doing something unclear, Bean speaking as if he's listening and repeating Naice English Berlitz School on CD and Brosnan doing his usual stroke victim - all very odd.

But it's hardly as disconcerting as the New York drawl coming out of Chris Walken. MOWAH PAOWAH.

True enough - isn't he meant to be some sort of East German / Frenchman bod? Doesn't evidently bother with any of that. I suppose that has to be applauded, really.

To say nothing of of Telly Savalas, who sounds like a smutty Fred Flintstone.

Agreed, very odd.