This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Is 'The World Is Not Enough' just as tied up as 'GoldenEye' ?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:46 AM

If I remember correctly, 'TWINE' was not released by Rare, like it's legendary predecessor. Rare, and Nintendo licencing disputes, are what ultimately did the original 'GoldenEye' in, as far as Re-releasing the title on the Xbox Live Arcade, and even the Wii Virtual Console. So why not re-release what IGN listed as, "The second-best Bond game ever" in one of these said places ? I loved 'TWINE' on the N64, and rightfully so because, in my opinion, in certain aspects, it surpassed 'GoldenEye'. ( Ex. graphics, multiplayer characters, weapons, the punching ability )

I for one, would immediately jump at the opportunity to play the classic shooter again. If we can't have number one, I'd happily settle for number 2 ! What do you guys think, and ultimately, would you be interested in seeing 'The World Is Not Enough' revisited ?

Edited by Jim, 29 October 2011 - 05:00 AM.
Genuinely unreadable in its original form

#2 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

Honestly, yeah, I'd like to see TWINE rereleased. I however, would not want it done like Goldeneye was done (ie: Daniel Craig as Bond) I'd like to either see Brosnan as Bond or perhaps a generic Bond. Maybe do it as a port deal where you can play the original like Metal Gear Solid 3 did for the two original Metal Gear ports for the MSX.

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

Actually, really wouldn't mind seeing Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough re-released with Craig.

#4 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

I Just Always Found It Funny That Nothing Was Never Mentioned About This Being A Possibility, I'm Sure They Could Make A Good Profit, And Please A Few People In The Process.

#5 Tobbii

Tobbii

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

I'd buy it, I always though TWINE was better than GoldenEye anyway. But really, have they re-released any Bond games? Nope. Don't think they're going to either.

#6 British Chap

British Chap

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

Actually, really wouldn't mind seeing Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough re-released with Craig.

I would love to see any Bond game or movie rebooted Craig style ala Goldeneye Reloaded. I just don't think there is an audience for it. Who would buy "Tomorrow Never Dies" in the store?

#7 British Chap

British Chap

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

I would love to see any Bond game or movie rebooted Craig style ala Goldeneye Reloaded. I just don't think there is an audience for it. Who would buy "Tomorrow Never Dies" in the store?

#8 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

A nice comparison:

Throw a grenade to a goon in GE: He'll blow away taking a lot of air!
Throw a grenade to a goon in TWINE: He'll fall backwards.

GoldenEye 64 has what other Bond games, including the brand new ones with HD etc. etc., don't: You can be playing for hours and hours with cheats and you won't throu the cartdige/CD/DVD/BRD after finishing the story.

Leaving that aside, I really liked the N64 version of TWINE, I've played it on my PC with an emulator, and even when I've recently adquired a second handed N64, I haven'¡t bought TWINE because I can't find it with its original box and booklet.

#9 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

Found this on Ebay. Thought you might be interested, Nic.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item35b775488b

#10 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

The World is Not Enough isn't quite as tied up as GoldenEye 64. A lot of people think Rare had the Bond license back then, but it was actually Nintendo (who also published the game) that held it. From what I understand it was two things that derailed the GE64 re-release, Microsoft and Nintendo couldn't work out the financial side of things and Nintendo wasn't going to let the Xbox 360 get a graphically-enhanced port w/ online multi-player while Nintendo's own system was stuck with the original N64 version.

The difference here is that the developer, the publisher, and licence holder (at the time) of TWINE (Electronic Arts) is a third-party company that develops mainly multi-platform games. So, you would think this game had a good chance of being re-released then right? ....Not exactly....

Actvision would likely have to pay EA (generally considered it's biggest rival in the industry) handsomely, otherwise this has no chance of being re-released.

I enjoyed GoldenEye: Reloaded for PS3, but I don't want to see this again and chances are it won't. GoldenEye just happens to be a special name in the video game world. The game is fun, but it really has nothing to do with the film or the N64 game.

I'd rather see a game based off of Skyfall (w/ Craig) or another film from the past (w/o Craig).

I loved 'TWINE' on the N64, and rightfully so because, in my opinion, in certain aspects, it surpassed 'GoldenEye'. ( Ex. graphics, multiplayer characters, weapons, the punching ability)

I have my N64 hooked up along with a few other consoles (PS2, PS3, and my SNES) and I still play games on it on occasion. I have to disagree with you here. I think the graphics in GE are better. Sure, they're a little more basic as TWINE is much more detailed, but it's looks very "muddy." As for the multiplayer, well TWINE does have bots, but they have incredibly stupid AI and GE has more customization options.

#11 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:57 AM

Found this on Ebay. Thought you might be interested, Nic.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item35b775488b

Thanks Jeremy! Still I need a Credit card first! :/

#12 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:41 PM

Ok, I can't help you with that! :)

#13 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

I'd rather see a game based off of Skyfall (w/ Craig) or another film from the past (w/o Craig).

Now This Is Something I Think We Could Both Agree On Brosnan! Especially The Latter Of The Two.

#14 Grahm Blond

Grahm Blond

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

TWINE was definitely a highly underrated game. I think part of the reason it slid under the radar at the time was due to the fact that the TND game(the only EA bond game I've never played, incidentally) proved something of a disappointment. It doesn't have the magic of Goldeneye, but the way variety was worked into the gameplay was enough to keep me going. Eurocom was really hitting their stride at this point.

A re-release wouldn't really make any sense though. It doesn't do what Syphon Filter did for its time, I think. For the sake of argument though, I'd go with Brosnan. Who ever heard of a generic Bond anyway?

#15 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

They should make a Thunderball game.

#16 mrevans

mrevans

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:59 AM

They should make a Thunderball game.

It would certainly translate to a video game better than FRWL did.
I'm all for it.

#17 TheSilentClown

TheSilentClown

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

I loved this game, I remember being so relieved that it was back to the Goldeneye engine after the disappointment I had with TND. It would be nice to see this uploaded to the Wii network but I doubt it will happen. Ah well, they're on Ebay still for the 64, maybe I'll pick up one of them sometime, I loved the MP map with the cable car.

#18 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

I would be happy with any game and/or reboots but I would suggest to the creators (and I imagine it will never happen; too much work) that you be allowed to pick your Bond. Wouldn't it be cool to play GE as Lazenby or Connery? Or Craig in FRWL? Think of how many times you could replay the game, each with a different Bond. Ah, one can dream. . . . .

Edited by dogmanstar, 20 January 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#19 mrevans

mrevans

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

I would be happy with any game and/or reboots but I would suggest to the creators (and I imagine it will never happen; too much work) that you be allowed to pick your Bond. Wouldn't it be cool to play GE as Lazenby or Connery? Or Craig in FRWL? Think of how many times you could replay the game, each with a different Bond. Ah, one can dream. . . . .

yes. especially if they went through and rewrote the dialogue each time to allow for the style of each bond. perhaps even adapt gameplay. For example, each bond fought in different ways.