8 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Does anyone know what year the UK "still life" series of Fleming paperbacks was released? I thought it was 1973, but the Bond Bound book says 1969 (I really don't think that's correct).

Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:51 AM

You're not far off. According to the notes I have here, the Pan Books editions were published in 1972.

#3 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

...and was Live and Let Die ever published in that set?

It took me until this year to track down a copy of TSWLM.

I'd always assumed that LALD was only published with a film tie-in cover in 1973 - which makes sense - but if they came out in '72 there ought to be a matching edition.

Lemme know.

#4 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

You're right, Live and Let Die was never a part of the Pan Books still-life series because it was presented as a film tie-in.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

You're not far off. According to the notes I have here, the Pan Books editions were published in 1972.

You're right, Live and Let Die was never a part of the Pan Books still-life series because it was presented as a film tie-in.

Thanks, MicroGlobeOne. I going to put up a blog post about this series today, but needed this info. I'll give you a "thanks". :)

#6 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

Thanks, MicroGlobeOne. I going to put up a blog post about this series today, but needed this info. I'll give you a "thanks". :)

I'm happy that I could help! I've always found the Pan still-life series to be among the most unique and interesting of the Fleming reissues designed over the years.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

Here we go:

http://www.thebookbo...ife-series.html

#8 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

Generally, my Pan "still life" covers date from 1972 to 1976.

And the reason I said "generally" is because I've only just noticed that I have Thunderball copy that is a 15th printing, dated 1966 - a collectors item??

My first 70s copy is a 17th printing dated 1973, which mentions that the 16th printing was also 1966, so perhaps there are more out there.

I seem to recall that the film tie-in version of OHMSS suffered a similar dating hiccup.

Edited by Mark_Hazard, 02 November 2011 - 11:31 PM.

#9 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

My recollections of collecting these as a kid in the mid 70s - they were my first Bonds - is as reported, no LALD.

If I recall correctly, TMWTGG was either not published originally due to a similar movie tie-in edition, or was published originally in 1973 and then swiftly withdrawn when the movie tie in appeared in 1974. Can't remember which, though I suspect the latter makes the most sense. Made copies of TMWTGG hard to find, though.

Also seem to recall having a problem tracking down TSWLM at the time, and possibly OCTOPUSSY?