Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

Severin will NOT be asian.

You don't say.

Posted Image

It's a little difficult to cast a non-Asian actor in an Asian role.

I suspect that the Chinese connection is the source of the "Asian Bond girl" rumor. And I suppose it's still possible that a Chinese actress will be cast, thus fulfilling that prophecy. A few prominent names were mentioned in recent weeks, but since the press conference there's been nothing about it. Presumably, if a sizable portion of the film is going to take place in China, there will have to be a few Chinese actors involved! Unless they plan to go full-on Mickey Rooney.

Let's not forget that on the last film, the Bond girl character was Bolivian, but they ended up casting a Ukranian actress and adding some dialogue to explain her heritage...

#332 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

The original reports suggesting that there would be a character named "Severin" stated that the character would be Asian, even though Severine is a French name (though I supposed French-Vietnamese is always an option). But beyond that, I'm in the dark. Marlohe clearly isn't Asian, so that should have been enough to quell any doubts. And I'm not sure EON would go in for someone with an exotic heritage so soon after the Bolivian-Russian Camille (which I suspect was written into the script when Olga Kurylenko couldn't quite get rid of her Ukranian accent).

Agreed. The tweaking of Kurylenko's character was the exact reason I brought up the old article, but I agree that it would probably be too soon to go for a heritage-defying bit of casting again, and therefore I too doubt that Marlohe's character will have any Asian roots.

#333 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

So the title has officially grown on me as of today. Now I can't imagine a world without a Bond film called Skyfall. :)

Funny how that works. I was thinking the same thing this morning. :tup:

Make that 3 converts :D

Well, I'm not as convinced as you guys. Eventhough I have to admit it's the official name as of now, I still think it sounds like a cheap DTV movie.
Of course, a movie is more than just its name (hopefully), but nevertheless, to me Skyfall just doesn't sound right. I'll have to make do, but I'm less than thrilled.
But then again, I might have been the only one who was actually thrilled when "Quantum of Solace" was announced as the official title last time! So I'm probably not a good judge on this...

#334 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

So the title has officially grown on me as of today. Now I can't imagine a world without a Bond film called Skyfall. :)

Funny how that works. I was thinking the same thing this morning. :tup:

Make that 3 converts :D

Well, I'm not as convinced as you guys. Eventhough I have to admit it's the official name as of now, I still think it sounds like a cheap DTV movie.
Of course, a movie is more than just its name (hopefully), but nevertheless, to me Skyfall just doesn't sound right. I'll have to make do, but I'm less than thrilled.
But then again, I might have been the only one who was actually thrilled when "Quantum of Solace" was announced as the official title last time! So I'm probably not a good judge on this...

Are you kidding I loved when Quantum of solace was announced and to be honest I still love that film and title :D

#335 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

Absolutely :tup: :tup:
I love the title! Epic Bond.

Attached Files

Edited by univex, 06 November 2011 - 01:07 AM.

#336 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:11 AM

This still concerns of me. Why so simliar the name so soon? This film was maybe to be shooting in South Africa too, same so as Carte Blanche also. Who steals from who?

According to Daniel Craig, the script was being written while MGM was belly-up, so that the film would be ready to go at a moment's notice if and when the sitaiton was resolved. I think Deaver was still doing THE BURNING WIRE at the time, so even if CARTE BLANCHE came out first, SKYFALL had been finished sooner.

Also, a lot will depend on the context of the names. Severan Hydt was originally named Maarten Holt, but changed his name to Severan after one of the Roman emperors who presided over the downfall of Rome, which fit in with his fixation with death and decay. It's a very, very contextual name. I very much doubt that any of that will translate into Marlohe's Severine, in which case, I have no problem with the common names.

Agreed. The tweaking of Kurylenko's character was the exact reason I brought up the old article, but I agree that it would probably be too soon to go for a heritage-defying bit of casting again, and therefore I too doubt that Marlohe's character will have any Asian roots.

That said, French-Vietnamese makes more "sense" than Russian-Bolivian. After all, the French were in Vietnam for decades, and Marlohe is certainly at an age that would fit in nicely with that.

#337 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

That said, French-Vietnamese makes more "sense" than Russian-Bolivian. After all, the French were in Vietnam for decades, and Marlohe is certainly at an age that would fit in nicely with that.

Nice catch, and that´s quite true, although, didn´t the French leave Indochina in the 50s? So, I´m not sure the age thing would work out.

#338 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

Nice catch, and that´s quite true, although, didn´t the French leave Indochina in the 50s? So, I´m not sure the age thing would work out.

In that case, we just step back a generation - Severine's grandfather was a Frenchman in French Indochina, and her grandmother was Vietnamese (or vice versa). It would explain why Severine has Asian heritage without having any particularly Asian features; she's one-quarter Vietnamese rather than one-half.

Of course, I still doubt that Severine has any Asian roots at all. But if she did, it wouldn't be entirely preposterous (or an obvious rewrite).

#339 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

In that case, we just step back a generation - Severine's grandfather was a Frenchman in French Indochina, and her grandmother was Vietnamese (or vice versa). It would explain why Severine has Asian heritage without having any particularly Asian features; she's one-quarter Vietnamese rather than one-half.

Of course, I still doubt that Severine has any Asian roots at all. But if she did, it wouldn't be entirely preposterous (or an obvious rewrite).

Doable (pun intended regarding Marlohe ;) )

#340 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

I found this, the "Top 10 things you need to know (about SKYFALL)". One phrase jumped out at me:

Javier Bardem will play the baddie in the movie but the Spanish Oscar winner said his character was just 'misunderstood'.

He said: 'Who told you a villain is a bad person? For me, it's an honour to be at this table for many reasons. It will be fun to do.'

A villain who is not necessarily a bad person, but rather someone who is 'misunderstood'? That's certanly a departure from the established patterns of villain behaviour.

#341 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:43 AM

I found this, the "Top 10 things you need to know (about SKYFALL)". One phrase jumped out at me:

Javier Bardem will play the baddie in the movie but the Spanish Oscar winner said his character was just 'misunderstood'.

He said: 'Who told you a villain is a bad person? For me, it's an honour to be at this table for many reasons. It will be fun to do.'

A villain who is not necessarily a bad person, but rather someone who is 'misunderstood'? That's certanly a departure from the established patterns of villain behaviour.

It makes me think that Bardem's character will be set up as Bond's antagonist by external forces, but a last minute revelation (perhaps involving somebody's deep dark secret) will show this not to be the case, and that the two were deliberately placed at loggerheads to hide a deep truth. Or something along those lines.

#342 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:45 AM

That could be it. Or maybe Bardem will be acting out of what he feels is necessity - that certain someone's deep, dark secret destroyed his life, so he decides to pay back an injustice in kind.

#343 jorgem

jorgem

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

That could be Craig's final Bond film...

He said in the press event he'd do a couple more.

Will his tenure last long like Moore or Brosnan?
When he quits, will Henry Cavill take over?

Edited by jorgem, 08 November 2011 - 08:50 AM.

#344 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:16 AM

This reminds me of the beginning of GF (book), the English lawyer or businessman (I forget what and can't look it up right at the moment) who got caught up in the heroin trade because his sister was an addict and needed fresh supplies after a ban dried out the markets. Bond muses that Blackwell probably even thought he did a service to his sister and the likes of her while he arranged a line into the UK.

#345 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

By the way, do you know what represents the red buttonhole they all wore ? Sorry if already discussed.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#346 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

It's a Poppy. They're paying respect for the troops that fought/are fighting for our country.

#347 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

The Poppy Appeal

#348 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

Merged this and 'Bond 23 is Skyfall' thread together. It was pretty much serving the same purpose! :)

Edited by Mharkin, 13 November 2011 - 08:26 PM.

#349 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

It's a Poppy. They're paying respect for the troops that fought/are fighting for our country.

We wear them in Canada, as well: The Poppy Campaign

#350 Thunderfinger

Thunderfinger

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2019 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

It's called SkyFall.

Hold your horses. The whole press conference is a cover-up.
Sure, they claim to have started filming, but who is to say there is even film in the cameras?
No, I expect Brosnan and Tamahori will both be back, probably in a remake of MOONRAKER.
Will bet my head on it.

#351 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

It's called SkyFall.

Sure, they claim to have started filming, but who is to say there is even film in the cameras?
No, I expect Brosnan and Tamahori will both be back, probably in a remake of MOONRAKER.
Will bet my head on it.

It's going to be called BEYOND THE ICE.

I will bet your head on it.

#352 bond_azoozbond

bond_azoozbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

Anyone knows where SkyFall premiere gonna be in the US ?? and when ??

#353 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

The film goes on general release on 9 November. As near as I can tell, the date and location for the premiere have not yet been set.

#354 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

The film goes on general release on 9 November. As near as I can tell, the date and location for the premiere have not yet been set.

Isn't it a given, that it will be Leicester Square?

#355 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

bond_azoozbond is asking about the American premiere, not the UK. And so far as I know, no date or venue has been set for the American premiere.

#356 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

bond_azoozbond is asking about the American premiere, not the UK. And so far as I know, no date or venue has been set for the American premiere.

True...

#357 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

Logo from Sony Pictures Colombia:

Posted Image

Sorry if it's not new.

#358 QOS4EVER

QOS4EVER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

It's called SkyFall.

Will bet my head on it.

It's going to be called BEYOND THE ICE.

I will bet your head on it.

Now,now
Its been a year since Thunderfinger was last online
Its all fun and games till one man bets another mans head.

Edited by QOS4EVER, 12 October 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#359 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

I suspect that the Chinese connection is the source of the "Asian Bond girl" rumor. And I suppose it's still possible that a Chinese actress will be cast, thus fulfilling that prophecy. A few prominent names were mentioned in recent weeks, but since the press conference there's been nothing about it. Presumably, if a sizable portion of the film is going to take place in China, there will have to be a few Chinese actors involved! Unless they plan to go full-on Mickey Rooney.

Bérénice Marlohe's father is part Cambodian, part Chinese.