7 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

Just wondering what people thought about this. I love Tomorrow Never Dies, but I never really liked Wai Lin. Teri Hatcher is great though!

#2 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

Just wondering what people thought about this. I love Tomorrow Never Dies, but I never really liked Wai Lin. Teri Hatcher is great though!

I've always liked TND quite a bit. It hasn't aged perfectly but it's still pretty good. I remember seeing it in the theater and thinking that it was the best Bond movie in quite some time for me.

I have never really understood the backlash on Wai Lin. People seem to find her annoying, but I think she's one of my favorite Bond girls. She's exotic, beautiful, kicks a lot of *ss, seems tougher than the Brosnan Bond in a lot of ways, actually. She pulls her own weight and the actress is athletic as heck. Paris Carver, on the other hand, is not written in more than one dimension and is portrayed by a not particularly good actress. But, I have to say, I am biased as I really don't like seeing journeyman TV actors in 007 films. Just pulls me out of the film and makes me think of the small screen.

What is it people dislike about Wai Lin, by the way?

#3 Lachesis

Lachesis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

Wai Lin is one of the best (only good) things I find in TND, far more animated and convicing as an agent than expected if a little more mature than the typical Bond girl (she'd probably sit mid table in my list of Bondgirls). Although I am actually a big Hatcher fan from her Superman days I was shocked by how much she seemed to have aged and the general lack of spark or charisma she had on the big screen, the scenes between her and Brosnan still make me wince.. Away from the big screen I would still go with Hatcher, but as per the evidence of TND Wai Ling is the better imo.

#4 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

Tough one for me. On one hand I never really liked Teri Hatcher that much (in looks anyway).

On the other hand, I don't find Michelle Yeoh all that attractive either, but her character has a presence on screen and is believable as a tough female govermnent agent who can take care of hereself.......unlike say Jinx who is supposed to be some top NSA agent, but does nothing but drag Bond down.

#5 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

I disagree; Wai Lin is a badass, the likes of which we had not seen since say, Anya Amasova or Melina Havelock.

Paris Carver, on the other hand is the ex-girlfriend; in a word.... BAGGAGE

Edited by Miles Miservy, 28 September 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#6 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

Paris McKenna Carver. No real shock from my signature. Teri Hatcher's my favorite Lois Lane so I freely admit that most likely biases my opinion.

#7 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:25 AM

Teri Hatcher as Paris Carver was okay. Paris was not exactly one of her best roles. But I loved Michelle Yeoh as Wai Lin.

#8 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

Michelle Yeoh by far. My main disappointment with TND was the fact that they never really developed her character. Yeoh could have done so much more with the character than she was given to do.