3 replies to this topic

#1 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 08:13 PM

Will it be good? Why has no one talked about it in previews? Does anyone except me care about good AI? These are the questions I think we ought to be asking Gearbox. It's nice that NF will have good graphics, and lots of options in levels, but I want good AI to make the game interesting. What do all the CB.n gamers out there think about AI?

#2 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 10:42 PM

The AI has to be good - otherwise the game will fail.

This was apparent in the demo - the AI was rubbish. However, we've been promised by Gearbox all of what was in the demo will be improved on the actual game.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 03:39 AM

There is hope!:

Gamer's Review of NF

Landon Montgomery, development director at Gearbox Software says, "We've enhanced the AI system that we've worked with in the past and implemented cool new AI behaviors." For example, if an enemy enters into combat with you and has access to a corner, he will run to that corner and use it as cover. You'll find that the enemies in NightFire also have survival instincts, even reacting to live grenades in a logical fashion. (Is he close enough to kick it away? Close enough to throw it away? Close enough to throw it at you?) As James Bond, you're definitely going to have your hands full with these guys.  

The enemies with the toughest AI will probably be Drake's Black Ops soldiers. Dressed all in black, these guys pack silenced MP5s, so you may not hear them even after they start shooting at you. Even if you can sneak up on them, they have katanas and a variety of jumping moves that will make them very tough to deal with.

#4 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 11:37 AM

:)