007 and the 1,132 MPH man

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

I have something for all you pub quiz types out there. What is the connection between a well known fictional secret agent of this parish, and a man who became the first to officially fly at over 1,000 MPH?

The answer is the film, "From Russia With Love".

Last week the British test pilot Peter Twiss died, aged 90. In 1956 he became the first pilot to officially fly beyond the 1,000 MPH mark, piloting the Fairey FD2 Delta experimental aircraft.

After leaving experimental test flying he became involved in the Fairey company's marine division, and in sailing and boats generally. His obituary mentions that he was a "villain" in FRWL, firing at Bond and Tatiana during the boat chase scene near the film's end. I was so intrigued I had to pursue this further, and according to his biography "Faster Than The Sun", he and the Fairey Marine company were involved in supplying those motor boats, and he was involved in the boat chase scene near the end of FRWL.

So there we are. In one Bond film at least, a fictional British hero was being pursued by a real one!

#2 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:41 AM

a good read! looking for cameos is fun and of course FRWL also has (maybe) the biggest cameo of them all