12 replies to this topic

#1 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hurricane Irene will hit the East Coast, so for all of you I have a few suggestions:

-Make sure you have flashlights & D batteries. Some battery operated fans use them as well.

-Be sure to get plenty of food; crackers, peanut butter, doughnuts (plain cake the best), bread & other foods you dont need to heat up.

-Check to see if you have a gas oven or stove top & gas hot water heater. If you do that means you can cook meals & take hot baths while power is out.

-Charge your cell phone before the storm! You might not be able to call but you will be able to text; it will be slow so just be patient.

-For entertainment be sure to have plenty of batteries & catch up on reading. Bond books got me through Katrina & Gustav.

-Take some empty soft drink bottles, fill them up with water & freeze. Once power goes out, empty ice in ice chest & place bottles in ice chest. This keeps things cold for a couple of days & gives you water to drink when it melts.

-Have enough food & water to last 3 to 5 days. Fill bathtub up in case sewage is out-take water from tub to fill toilet tank

-If a curfew is in place mind the hours & if you dont need to go out stay home

-Do not use generator in a poorly ventilated area! If you are fortunate to have a standyby generator powered by natural gas be sure to test it. Start generator before plugging in any electrical device.

Be safe, and please let us know if you need anything. You are in our thoughts & prayers down here.

#2 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:43 AM

I live in MA and my parents are surprisingly a little worried, which has me taking this a bit more seriously than I had been. Good tips all around, my dad will be going for a generator tomorrow as a matter of fact. My mom stocked up a bit on some items today but I'll likely grab some more myself tomorrow. Still, hopefully it turns out to be less powerful than predicted. God knows I won't be terribly bored during it, but the damage afterwards is what really has most people concerned. Hadn't even thought about the plumbing issue. Anyways, thanks for your support and ditto to anyone else out there who may be impacted by this. I'm sure we'll be fine but in this case it's probably better to overreact than underestimate.

#3 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:30 PM

More tips:

-Make sure you have cash; ATM's & credit card readers will be out.

-If ordered to evacuate-do it!

-If no generator avoid dairy products & remember food in fridge only good for a few hours. Drink water or juices & dont drink soft drinks or coffee. Tea is recommended by me as it doesnt dehydrate you like coffee does & isnt bad at room temperature.

-If staying home during storm stay in windowless room like your hallway.

-Pick up backyard furniture!

-Do not drive during storm!

To all on the path of Irene good luck!

#4 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

Riding out Irene in Norfolk, all ok so far!

#5 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

Stay safe everyone. :)

#6 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:18 AM

Stay safe to my CBn family. :tup:

#7 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

Isaac is threatening the Gulf Coast & it looks like Last is the target. Miss. Coast also in its path. Here we go again.

La. Not last. Damn auto correct.

#8 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Forgot about this thread. Stay safe everyone.

#9 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

Thoughts and prayers with you hcmv and everyone in the Gulf Coast region..Let's hope "Issac" does NOT become Katrina - The Sequel..

#10 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

Don't think this will be a Katrina sequel as this storm is much weaker. While I am paying this makes a NE turn, I'm ready for it. I have a couple days worth of food, and a couple days worth of cold water. This will be a slow moving storm so it will drag on. Well this will be my last post for a few days. Keep us in your prayers & catch ya'll on the other side.

#11 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

The good-no house damage, just small limbs/branches fell from trees. Nothing as bad as Gustav like a branch falling thru my roof and causing a leak. Dead tree in back yard fell, did no powerline or house damage nor did it damage any of my neighbors property. Fortunately my Dad's house didn't lose power for long, so I am there and able to get some minor things done.

The bad-I don't have power at my house-maybe by Sunday or so.

People in LaPlace had it bad with water rising to 4-7 feet in a matter of minutes, Plaquemines Parish had flooding from water coming over the levees (locally made not made by Army Corps of Engineers). One of those levees may be breached intentionally to alleviate some of the flow stoppage in other areas. This was a VERY slow moving storm so the ground was saturated much more than normal. Please keep those people in your prayers, and if donating give to the Red Cross, the best organization to help IMO.

#12 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Wow..that's good to hear that you are safe, hcmv...hope you continue to do so and again, thoughts and prayers go out to you all, especially those who haven't been as fortunate.

#13 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:01 AM

Thanks dove! Lots of people in LaPlace & areas in Ascension, Jefferson, Plaqumines & Orleans Parishes have it rough. Hopefully all will be well there soon.