James Bond in Thunderball

5 replies to this topic

#1 bondfisher007

bondfisher007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:12 AM

i find that james bond in thunderball is similar with the villain in license to kill. he acts like he is emilio and sanchez friend. do you agree?

#2 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:27 AM

Not much. Largo already knew who Bond was, and Bond knew he knew ("One of my associates spoke of you."/"Nothing bad, I hope."

Theirs was a cat-and-mouse game, each waiting for the other to slip up and leave himself open. Largo was convinced that he was invulnerable, so he enjoyed taunting Bond - meanwhile Bond was seducing Domino away from him, hitting Largo in his vanity.

Fiona: "You would like to see Bond dead."
Largo: "I can think of no better arrangement."
Fiona: "Because he makes love to your woman?"
Largo:"Because he is Bond, and as an enemy of SPECTRE he should be killed."

In LTK Bond definitely played at befriending Sanchez, a al Iago in Othello, in order to gain Sanchez's trust and compromise others in his organization. Seems like a completely different scenario from Tball.

Edited by AMC Hornet, 26 July 2011 - 03:28 AM.

#3 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:21 AM

:)

Not much. Largo already knew who Bond was, and Bond knew he knew ("One of my associates spoke of you."/"Nothing bad, I hope."

Theirs was a cat-and-mouse game, each waiting for the other to slip up and leave himself open. Largo was convinced that he was invulnerable, so he enjoyed taunting Bond - meanwhile Bond was seducing Domino away from him, hitting Largo in his vanity.

Fiona: "You would like to see Bond dead."
Largo: "I can think of no better arrangement."
Fiona: "Because he makes love to your woman?"
Largo:"Because he is Bond, and as an enemy of SPECTRE he should be killed."

In LTK Bond definitely played at befriending Sanchez, a al Iago in Othello, in order to gain Sanchez's trust and compromise others in his organization. Seems like a completely different scenario from Tball.

I agree with you. Largo knew Bond was the enemy from his first meeting him. SPECTRE could have been tipped off about Bond by Count Lippe, although he was embroiled (unfortunate choice of word there, I know!) in his own personal vendetta with 007 at Shrublands. Bond was snooping around the health club, enough to arouse enemy suspicions. But what I didn't understand was the report to SPECTRE HQ that their number 6 had been killed by an "unknown assassin". Jet pack escape? Aston Martin with gadgets. Bit of a clue there! :)

Maybe SPECTRE should have had its own version of a "pub-watch" barred list for its junior employees - opposition agents identified and to be shot on sight!

#4 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

Further to my earlier contribution, there is, of course, one similarity between TB and another Bond film - the one that followed, YOLT. Both feature a faked death in the pre title credits. SPECTRE's attempt to throw our side off the scent of their man Colonel Bouval (Did I spell his name correctly? And was the Colonel late of the "OAS", I wonder?) didn't work, for some reason. May have been to do with the opening of a car door?

On the other hand, the MI6/Hong Kong Police/Royal Navy put up job worked brilliantly, for a while. Then again, maybe SPECTRE's man in Hong Kong with the binoculars should have investigated a bit more, rather than rely on the local obituary column?

#5 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Col. Bouvard blew his cover by not waiting for the chauffer to open the limo door for him (he was supposed to be a grieving widow-lady).

I always felt the Hong Kong assassination and funeral was a little over-elaborate. There were other ways of getting 007 to m without wrapping him up in an inescapable shroud - too much could go wrong (read Jeffrey Jenkins' Hunter Killer (1966) for an even more elaborate example of this.

#6 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

Nah, they are not the same. Largo knew, from the get-go who Bond was & what his intentions were. It was dangerous game they were playing with eachother, with Domino trapped in the middle.

Sanchez didn't see Bond coming although he should have. If Heller was thorough in checking up on Bond's identity, he should have made SOME kind of connection between 007 & Felix, but he didn't.