12 replies to this topic

#1 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

I can't remember... After Bond is issued his new Walther PPK, was Prof. Dent the only one he shot with it?

#2 right idea, wrong pussy

right idea, wrong pussy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

I believe so. Other than Dent the only casualties I can recall the Walther causing in that movie were a headlight or two on Dr. No's "dragon".

#3 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

And actually, it wasn't even a Walther that he used to kill Dent. A Browning, maybe? But it wasn't the gun Boothroyd gave him. I guess it was supposed to be the Walther and they were hoping no one would notice it wasn't. I've never understood why it wasn't--the Walther prop wasn't available that day? Somebody got mixed up? Anyone know?

#4 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

Perhaps they filmed the shooting of Dent first, with what props they had available?

#5 right idea, wrong pussy

right idea, wrong pussy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

http://www.imfdb.org..._Browning_M1910

If the Internet Movie Firearms Database is to be believed, the props department couldn't find a silencer to fit the Walther.

I personally consider Dent to have been killed by a Walther since that's what the movie overtly claims. The Browning was just put in there in the hopes that no one would notice (and people probably didn't notice in the days before pause and play home media).

#6 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

And actually, it wasn't even a Walther that he used to kill Dent. A Browning, maybe?

An FN Browning M1910.

#7 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

And actually, it wasn't even a Walther that he used to kill Dent. A Browning, maybe?

An FN Browning M1910.

Oh, man, that's hilarious... not the Browning, but the fact that Bond's famous gun in Dr. No, the one that M forced him to switch to, is not an actual Walther PPK, but... a Walther PP! :D

#8 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

Interestingly, the IMFDB also says that the line, "That's a Smith & Wesson, and you've had your six,":

"...was taken directly from the novel, where Dent used a Smith & Wesson revolver."

Huh?

#9 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:52 AM

Rubbish. Line was taken from the script, as it rightfully should be.

#10 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

As it had to have been, as a confrontation with an armed Prof. Dent was never a scene in the book.

#11 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

As it had to have been, as a confrontation with an armed Prof. Dent was never a scene in the book.

...but Prof. dent didn't shoot a revolver into the bed, did he?

#12 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:48 AM

No, he had a S&W automatic, which is quickly becoming no longer the point. Despite IMFDB's assertion that the line "was taken directly from the novel," there was no Professor Dent in the novel.

The good folks at IMFDB definitely know their way around guns - I wouldn't question that - but someone there made an assumption about the origin of the line.

It would be like saying one of Q's lines in The Spy Who Loved Me came directly from Ian Fleming's novel, when everybugger knows that there was no character named Q in any of Fleming's novels, much less TSWLM.

I was only surprised to know that an automatic that big would only hold six rounds.

Also, once Dent was proven to be disarmed, Bond should have been able to "apply pressure" to get his questions answered (Mr. Jones and Freelance may have been tough customers, but Dent struck me as the type who'd cave like a souffle at the mere mention of the word "interrogation"). Shooting him (twice) seemed a trifle extreme and counterproductive, but it certainly served to establish Bond's character.

Interesting detail about why Bond could yank out the silencer the way he did. I'd always wondered.

Edited by AMC Hornet, 04 August 2011 - 12:50 AM.

#13 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:05 PM

I was only surprised to know that an automatic that big would only hold six rounds.

Also, once Dent was proven to be disarmed, Bond should have been able to "apply pressure" to get his questions answered (Mr. Jones and Freelance may have been tough customers, but Dent struck me as the type who'd cave like a souffle at the mere mention of the word "interrogation"). Shooting him (twice) seemed a trifle extreme and counterproductive, but it certainly served to establish Bond's character.

I believe that the first quote is due to the fact that the scriptwriter assumed that Dent would be using a revolver.

As to Dent being shot twice, I understand that in the original footage, he was shot at least 4 times (maybe more) but the shooting was toned down to allow the film to gain an "A" certificate.

Regarding the use of the Browning 1910, some years ago when I was corresponding with the original Major (Geoffrey) Boothroyd, he told me that at that time firing blanks through a silenced PPK were problematic, but the 1910 had a proven track record (in other films), so they went for the Browning.