46 replies to this topic

#31 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Bond movies are time capsules. They capture the mood and attitudes of each decade. In twenty years, we will watch Quantum of Solance and say "Why so serious?" The U.S. and U.K. were involved in wars. The economy was tanking. Et cetera, ad naseum.

I agree wholeheartedly.

And for this reason why Moonraker was a smash hit at the time of its release, and why in following years it was derided, and in future years it will no doubt be revisited and once again find favour when the next relevant time capsule comes around to embrace it.

(Which will probably be when we are asking ourselves why QoS was so serious)

#32 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

Has anyone posted this?

Quite interesting if you find this kind of thing interesting, which you probably don't

#33 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

But you have to remember, it was 1997. It was the peak of the "Everything's Awesome Nineties." Bill Clinton was in the White House enjoying cigars and interns, 9/11 was still four years off, the Spice Girls were on the radio. The iPod didn't EXIST yet.

So, yes, TND was just a fun, explosive Bond movie. But it reflected the times, and it was ENTERTAINING.

Bond movies are time capsules. They capture the mood and attitudes of each decade.

This all the way. TND is definitely one of the better films in my opinion.

Edited by 00 Brosnan, 16 November 2012 - 04:39 AM.

#34 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

THX for posting Safari Suit, watched it last night and it was interesting to see how they change things to have them appear less violent so they can get a lower rating.

#35 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

The story goes that Arnold had done the soundtrack and used Surrender throughout with the intention of it being the title track. Then late in the game, a high-up MGM/UA executive with close ties to Crow/or Crow's agent, figured it would be more "marketable" for Crow to the theme song.

Surrender gets relegated to the end-titles, and Crow's song becomes the title theme. Somewhere there's an interview where Arnold says that it was so late in the game, he had to change the name to Surrender - makes sense as "Tomorrow Never Dies" is clear through the lyrics of the Lang song.

#36 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

THX for posting Safari Suit, watched it last night and it was interesting to see how they change things to have them appear less violent so they can get a lower rating.

Yes, that was quite informative, thank you Safari Suit. I think the most interesting cut (in both versions) is the removal of the sailors being riddled with bullets. First off, I never for a second thought they filmed anything like that, and yes, I can definitely understand why it was removed, it is pretty violent.

#37 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

I think TND is a good film just not memorable. I do think it has one of the better and more fleshed out villains of the series in Elliot Carver. The locales are nice, I especially like Hamburg. However, most of the film just seems trying to outdo Goldeneye. I also agree with most of you in that Surrender is easily the better of the two songs and wish it would have been left as the official theme. However as it is, I think it works really well over the end credits.

#38 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

However as it is, I think it works really well over the end credits.

I would argue that it works better as a closing song than it would have if it opened the picture. But then I'm biases causeI love Crowe's song.

#39 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Has anyone posted this?
Quite interesting if you find this kind of thing interesting, which you probably don't

Fascinating - thank you for posting.

#40 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

Here's the section on "Tomorrow Never Dies"/"Surrender" from a very good documentary on Bond title songs.

Edited by Joey Bond, 17 November 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#41 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

I just watched Tomorrow Never Dies again, and I've got to say - that's a great James Bond movie!

Brosnan is clearly much more comfortable in the role as he's got the role absolutely nailed here. Michelle Yeoh is a huge asset to the movie as well, as we've got a Bond Girl who is, basically, Bond's equal in the spy game. The story is solid and the action scenes are fantastic. While the movie could use just a little more depth of character it is still one of my absolute favorite Bond movies.

This is a VERY rewatchable Bond movie, more than most.

#42 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Here's the section on "Tomorrow Never Dies"/"Surrender" from a very good documentary on Bond title songs.

Cool documentary thanks for posting.

#43 Landcross

Landcross

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Tomorrow Never Dies aged pretty well for me. At one time I considered it as Brosnan's fourth best, but years later I really consider it his second best. I don't know, it became strangely charming for me over time.

#44 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:39 AM

One scene in TND I always laugh at, is when Bond throws a henchman into the printing press and then the paper comes out all red in blood. I laugh because it doesn't look like the henchman even gets caught in the machine but rather simply falls through some paper. 

#45 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:13 AM

Thanks for this JoeyBond, fantastic. They still should have used Surrender.

#46 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

One scene in TND I always laugh at, is when Bond throws a henchman into the printing press and then the paper comes out all red in blood. I laugh because it doesn't look like the henchman even gets caught in the machine but rather simply falls through some paper. 

haha that's exactly how I feel..

#47 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

I rewatched TND last night and I've got to say, while it has problems, it is definitely one of the more fun films. Save for the scenes with Paris, it never takes itself too seriously. The only gripes I really had were that they completely ignored any science. For example, being a certified diver, I can tell you that the water would never be that clear as deep as the Devonshire was and when Carver's divers go down to the ship at night, it looks like they are diving during the day (how'd they screw that up). Also, Bond and Wai-Lin would've had to enter a hyperbaric chamber after their emergency surfacing from the ship. Granted, Elliot wouldn't have cared if they had succumbed to the decompression sickness, but they definitely would've been feeling it.