21 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

I doubt this has anything to do with James Bond, but we can still hope, right? More Young Bond? Higson writing the next adult continuation novel?

http://www.thebookbo...eets-major.html

#2 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Higson writing the next adult continuation novel?

Now that would be fantastic news.

#3 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Most intriguing indeed.

#4 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

Higson writing the next adult continuation novel?

Now that would be fantastic news.

Would adore that.

#5 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:57 PM

I expect it's a book thing, but don't forget he has irons in many fires, not least successful TV and radio shows!

#6 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

I doubt this has anything to do with James Bond, but we can still hope, right? More Young Bond? Higson writing the next adult continuation novel?

http://www.thebookbo...eets-major.html

From your lips to Corinne's God's ears, Zencat! ;)

#7 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

I'll get my hopes up. But I suspect it's more children type book news or another series of Bellamys people. :(

#8 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

This is interesting. I would hope for another Young bond story.

#9 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

I hope it's what we are all hoping for.

#10 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

Just to throw around more ideas, it could also be a movie deal for The Enemy. I think that definitely constitutes a major announcement. Still, my hope lies in obvious grounds.

#11 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:06 AM

Is this Charlie Higson's major announcement? Seems plausible.

#12 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

Seems like thats it. The Fast Show was funny in it's day but if it's anything like Bellamys People then I'll give it a miss as Higson, Whitehouse and Day are past their prime.

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

Looks like you guys were right. Charlie just tweeted his announcement. The Fast Show is coming back.

#14 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:44 PM

Bummer. Had my fingers crossed.

#15 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:14 PM

So are these on telly or part of the Fosters youtube stuff (like the Alan Partridge and Vic and Bob things)?

#16 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

Guess it begs the question - is the revival of the Fast Show more important to him than Young Bond MkII, and if so, does that mean he has no ideas for War Bond, nor has been encouraged to have them by IFP?

Never expected Higson to be the Adult Bond next-in-line author. Sure, if IFP decide to go for a low-key, Fleming timeline novel he'd be perfect; but CARTE BLANCHE suggests a big name best selling known-to-the-Yanks type is more important than plausible, great Bond writing, sadly. :angry:

#17 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

Guess it begs the question - is the revival of the Fast Show more important to him than Young Bond MkII, and if so, does that mean he has no ideas for War Bond, nor has been encouraged to have them by IFP?

Never expected Higson to be the Adult Bond next-in-line author. Sure, if IFP decide to go for a low-key, Fleming timeline novel he'd be perfect; but CARTE BLANCHE suggests a big name best selling known-to-the-Yanks type is more important than plausible, great Bond writing, sadly. :angry:

I think Young Bond II is just no concept IFP are pursuing at the moment. It's considered quite successful by us fans, but how much hit potential did it really have? The Children's Books charts of the NYT give Twilight, Percy Jackson, Pendragon and of course Harry Potter as the top sellers for 2008. All fantasy-themed stuff, or adventure. If at all Young Bond will probably have seen Alex Rider and Artemis Fowl above his own entry in such lists for most of the time. I don't think Young Bond was a failure (there would have been no comic adaption and no Young Bond Companion if it had been) but it seems it didn't do as well as hopes had been and now is an idea that's just a bit passé. I'm afraid IFP will wait another couple of years before they even consider going back there again. Most likely it will come at some point, for no other reason than to cash in on the concept of an as yet unexploited sideline. But it doesn't seem to be the focus at the moment.

It could also well be that the character belonging now to EON came with the proviso that only adult modern-day novels are contractually covered. After all there's surely no shortage of PR types that would argue Bond's origin in the murky 20th century might well turn out as impairing on the brand's market value in the future. I can imagine EON may not have been entirely happy with IFP launching that young reader's line.

#18 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

I think Young Bond II is just no concept IFP are pursuing at the moment. It's considered quite successful by us fans, but how much hit potential did it really have? The Children's Books charts of the NYT give Twilight, Percy Jackson, Pendragon and of course Harry Potter as the top sellers for 2008. All fantasy-themed stuff, or adventure. If at all Young Bond will probably have seen Alex Rider and Artemis Fowl above his own entry in such lists for most of the time. I don't think Young Bond was a failure (there would have been no comic adaption and no Young Bond Companion if it had been) but it seems it didn't do as well as hopes had been and now is an idea that's just a bit passé. I'm afraid IFP will wait another couple of years before they even consider going back there again. Most likely it will come at some point, for no other reason than to cash in on the concept of an as yet unexploited sideline. But it doesn't seem to be the focus at the moment.

It could also well be that the character belonging now to EON came with the proviso that only adult modern-day novels are contractually covered. After all there's surely no shortage of PR types that would argue Bond's origin in the murky 20th century might well turn out as impairing on the brand's market value in the future. I can imagine EON may not have been entirely happy with IFP launching that young reader's line.

All the above could be correct.

However, I do think IFP will face a dilema with where to go after CARTE BLANCHE.

As has been speculated elsewhere, I think finding someone to pick up where Deaver left off will not be easy, particularly finding an author with "clout", at least.

Unless Deaver himself wants another crack, of course. He has indicated he would - for now at least, after initially suggesting he was a one-shot writer; but does CARTE BLANCHE have enough box office behind it for warrant even a Deaver-Carte-Blanche-Bond 2??

#19 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

Does it beg that question? He's allowed to do more than one thing, isn't he?

#20 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

Of course he is. If of course he can manage to do two things at once: wasn't one of the earlier obstacles to Charlie cracking on with more Young Bonds that he was too busy with other things? I'd have thought writing and appearing in the Fast Show would have meant he was similarly busy and otherwise occupied, no?

Alternatively, he might just not be too buzzed by Young Bond anymore and be totally out of ideas for YBII.

#21 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

It's hardly for Higson now to decide if there's more Young Bond or not. If he's doing something else it probably means he's not been asked back for the time being, for whatever reasons IFP has. He can hardly be expected to wait for them until whatever happens and they decide to ring him again.

As for what comes after CB, I don't think there is a shortage of writers who would like to do it. What I suspect is a shortage of writers who will fit the bill and are contractually able to do it for the fee IFP offers. Lots of the more prominent writers today have contracts that demand a certain number of books in a given time for a publisher, either serialised or stand-alone. Foreign deals are not always allowed and would need the consent of the house publisher. I suppose it can be a win-win situation, but it could just as well be viewed as unnecessary in-house competition, everything's possible. Add to that the fact that the possible profit has to be shared and not everybody theoretically willing may be enthusiastic about such a project.

That said I'm still fairly sure there will be a host of writers who would love to give Bond a try. Carte Blanche need not be a hindrance itself. Anybody picking up could just ignore it and place Bond in a story where nothing of the CB groundwork needs to play any role. At the time it looked as if a series was intended with entries every year or so. Could be plans have changed and now it's a much more loosely planned succession of stand-alones?

#22 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

Of course he is. If of course he can manage to do two things at once: wasn't one of the earlier obstacles to Charlie cracking on with more Young Bonds that he was too busy with other things? I'd have thought writing and appearing in the Fast Show would have meant he was similarly busy and otherwise occupied, no?

When you say 'more important to him' it does make it sound like you think he doesn't care about Bond anymore, which I don't think is fair. I have a few jobs on the go at any one time; doesn't mean any of them are any more important than the others to me.