This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Is there a blooper in the Goldfinger opening credit titles?

13 replies to this topic

#1 5 BONDS

5 BONDS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

I've always wanted to know and I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned. Why is there a scene From Russia With Love in the opening credits of Goldfinger. The action at the end with the helicopter is added into the montage of Goldfinger shots on the body of the golden lady. Is this a blooper or is there a reference to this moment for some reason?

Has anyone else noticed this or questioned this?

#2 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:12 PM

I've seen that as well. Unless they were trying to give it an OHMSS twist and show scenes from other Bond films?

#3 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

I've seen it and just thought it was a montage of the previous Bond films. You sure it's just From Russia with Love?

#4 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

I've always wondered why so many people find it a problem that there's a FRWL on the credits. FRWL was the first Bond I ever saw (on TV) and I was lucky enough to catch a matinee of GF at my hometown's only cinmea. When that shot appeared over the credits I recognised it immediately (I was 12) and loved that the had included it. I doubt Robert Brownjohn didn't realise it wasn't from GF.

#5 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:58 AM

I took it as sort of a re-cap, too.
I think the big explosion is from DOCTOR NO, and the helicopter is certainly from FROM RUSSIA, WITH LOVE.
Do note that, in those titles, the helicopter scene, the shot of Bond walking through Q's lab, and the close-up of the golden gun firing three times (you only see it fired once in the film) are all scenes that are not in the final prints of either motion picture.

#6 007 Magazine

007 Magazine

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:54 AM

I've always wanted to know and I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned. Why is there a scene From Russia With Love in the opening credits of Goldfinger. The action at the end with the helicopter is added into the montage of Goldfinger shots on the body of the golden lady. Is this a blooper or is there a reference to this moment for some reason?

No, there isn't a 'blooper' in the opening credits of Goldfinger. The clue is in the screen credit that accompanies this film clip of From Russia With Love projected on to the gold painted body of Margaret Nolan. The credit title designer Robert Brownjohn is playfully saying here, 'Look, it's me again, the guy who designed the titles for From Russia With Love!'

Graham Rye
Editor & Publisher
007 MAGAZINE
www.007magazine.co.uk

#7 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

Although the titles were done by Robert Brownjohn & not Maurice Binder, I doubt very much if the FRWL scenes were put in by accident.

#8 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

I expect they just wanted a flashy clip featuring a helicopter; I doubt there was much more to it.

#9 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

The Goldfinger titles also include shots of Dr. No's headquarters blowing up. It's projected on to the back of Margaret Nolan, just prior to Saltzman and Broccoli's producer credit.

Also, the From Russia With Love shot used in the Goldfinger titles wasn't used in the movie. It's from a different angle than the finished FRWL sequence. So it seems fair to say that Robert Brownjohn had access to unused footage.

#10 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

I thought they were simply using scenes from DN and FRWL for the opening credits of GOLDFINGER. And didn't they use this same method in ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE . . . except with scenes from more movies?

#11 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

I thought they were simply using scenes from DN and FRWL for the opening credits of GOLDFINGER. And didn't they use this same method in ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE . . . except with scenes from more movies?

The From Russia With Love shot that appears in the Goldfinger titles did not appear in the finished film. The shot in the Goldfinger titles is from a different angle compared with the shots of the helicopter diving at Bond in the finished film.

#12 RJJB

RJJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

The From Russia With Love shot that appears in the Goldfinger titles did not appear in the finished film. The shot in the Goldfinger titles is from a different angle compared with the shots of the helicopter diving at Bond in the finished film.

There are other images that do not appear in any movie, including Bond walking through Q Branch. At the climax of the song, you can see logos for Coca-Cola and Wrigley's Spearmint Gum. How can the inclusion of anything be considered a blooper? There are no set rules as to what can be displayed.

#13 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:05 PM

I always considered it to be more of an easter egg. something that people may notice if they are paying close attention.

#14 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

There are other images that do not appear in any movie, including Bond walking through Q Branch. At the climax of the song, you can see logos for Coca-Cola and Wrigley's Spearmint Gum. How can the inclusion of anything be considered a blooper? There are no set rules as to what can be displayed.

Robert Brownjohn had access to footage used in the movie (a long putt Goldfinger makes to tie Bond on a hole during the golf match, Oddjob acting as Goldfinger's caddy, etc) and other shots that were outtakes from Golfinger and From Russia With Love. Not really bloopers.