22 replies to this topic

#1 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

So, George Lazenby attended the American Cinematheque screening of OHMSS/DAF on Friday night, and did a little Q&A with the audience afterwards. He had laryngitis so he was a bit croaky, but had a lot to say nevertheless. Most of his stories involved getting laid, but here are some of the highlights he talked about, from memory. Some of this stuff is probably well known to the OHMSS afficionado, but anyway :

-He started off by apologizing for his voice, he said it was because his 5 and 6 year old(?) kids were with him, and that someone should have cut this thing off (i.e. his manhood) a long time ago (big laughs)

-He and Peter Hunt had a falling out on day one of filming (though he wouldn't say about what, exactly), and then Hunt didn't speak to him directly for the rest of this shoot. Since he hadn't acted before, Laz didn't think this was strange and assumed directors and actors just didn't talk on any film set.

-Someone asked if he regretted not doing another Bond, and he gave a long answer basically saying he regretted not having the money, but then he went to a psychic who told him that if he had done more Bonds, he would have been a drug addict with three ex-wives. Then he said he was already an alcoholic with two ex-wives so what's the difference!

-Asked what Telly Savalas was like to work with, he said Telly was a huge gambler and basically won all of George's per diem. He also added that he was getting $100 a day, but when asked what Connery got, Cubby asked an accountant who said he had gotten $1000 a day, so Cubby bumped him up to $1000 a day too!

-The exchange about he and Diana Rigg both eating garlic to annoy each other was intended as a joke but the press on the set that day took it seriously and wrote that the two weren't getting along. ('Horse sh--', in his own words)

-He said Cubby had some kind of new watch that had been bought for him by his wife. George complimented him on the watch, even though he didn't really like it and was just being polite. Somehow (it was a long anecdote) Cubby took this as George wanting a watch just like it, so he gave it to him, even though he didn't really want it.

-At some point during the auditioning/testing phase, somebody deliberately set him up with a hooker to make sure he wasn't gay! He said it was assumed that most male models at the time were gay.

-Also talked about "This never happened to the other fella", he said he'd been saying that all through the shoot regarding how Connery never had to dangle on wires on a cable car etc, so they had him say it on camera for a laugh.

-Regarding the English accent he developed for the film, his mum said he sounded like a "pommie poofter".

-Asked if he had a favorite amongst the Angels, he did say one of them was his favorite, but he wouldn't say who? Hmm.

That's about all I remember. He's an entertaining raconteur in person, a lot of his comments and stories got big laughs. Clearly a lot of people showed up just to hear him talk, as the theater lost about 75% of its audience for the DAF screening!

#2 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:15 AM

Thanks for the report dinovelvet, I hope everybody had a good time.

Too bad George keeps spinning his same old distortions.

Peter Hunt talked to him throughout the 9 month shoot - I've got over 30 shots of the two of them talking during filming (15 or so of those are in my book). 20+ cast and crew members that I've talked to all confirm that Hunt and Lazenby spoke to each other the entire length of filming.

The "This never happened" line did not come from Lazenby - variations of the line are in OHMSS treatments and drafts dating from 1967 - before Lazenby had even screen tested. It came from Richard Maibaum.

I seriously doubt his per diem was $1000 - that would have in effect tripled his salary. (Per Diem info in my book came from location manager Hubert Frolich).

#3 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:33 AM

Any insight as to why he keeps doing this?

#4 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:42 AM

It's probably a combination between a really poor memory (OHMSS came out 42 years ago) and him trying to embellish things for his audience's benefit.

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:11 AM

I think by now it's simply become truth. His version of.

Thanks for reporting this, quite interesting!

#6 mttvolcano

mttvolcano

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

-He said Cubby had some kind of new watch that had been bought for him by his wife. George complimented him on the watch, even though he didn't really like it and was just being polite. Somehow (it was a long anecdote) Cubby took this as George wanting a watch just like it, so he gave it to him, even though he didn't really want it.

Hahahaha that was pretty good!

#7 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

It's probably a combination between a really poor memory (OHMSS came out 42 years ago) and him trying to embellish things for his audience's benefit.

Yeah, we must consider that it's a man in his 70s recalling something he did when he was 30. And there's that old saying about "when the legend becomes fact, print the legend". It's fun to listen to this stuff, even if it's a little embellished...

#8 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Yeah, we must consider that it's a man in his 70s recalling something he did when he was 30. And there's that old saying about "when the legend becomes fact, print the legend". It's fun to listen to this stuff, even if it's a little embellished...

Well George can boast all he wants, and I have no problem with him puffing himself up, but I prefer fact over lies, call me kooky.

I'm sure he does believe it by now, but it doesn't make it true.

What I find the most disturbing is that his lies belittle Peter Hunt's work on the film. As Peter pointed out in interviews, when Lazenby's claims were brought up, how on earth could he have directed the film without talking to the star?

Lazenby has also made lots of claims about doing almost everything in one take, which is patently untrue - I've got the editing script that lists all the take numbers used.

But I guess in George's mind, he, as an untrained actor, with absolutely no help from the director, nailed every take the first time, over the course of 9 months...

#9 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

But I guess in George's mind, he, as an untrained actor, with absolutely no help from the director, nailed every take the first time, over the course of 9 months...

That's about as likely as Jethro Bodine becoming a real double naught spy, or a brain surgeon. :D

We have all seen Lazenby do this over the years, and I just don't see why he feels the need to keep on with this act. His stories about Peter Hunt, and EON, his acting ability, his sexual escapades, etc. during his time as James Bond are just odd. Then that whole thing in the 1990's, him calling out Pierce Brosnan, it's all so strange and so unnecessary.

Paraphrasing Timothy Dalton, "you had to be crazy to take over for Connery in 1969". It's a sad irony that the same brashness and bravado that gave Lazenby the nerve and ability to replace Sean Connery in 1969, are the same traits that probably led to his undoing. I think it has become very evident that his impolite behavior and arrogance cost him a decent film career in the United States and United Kingdom.

#10 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

That's about as likely as Jethro Bodine becoming a real double naught spy, or a brain surgeon. :D

We have all seen Lazenby do this over the years, and I just don't see why he feels the need to keep on with this act. His stories about Peter Hunt, and EON, his acting ability, his sexual escapades, etc. during his time as James Bond are just odd. Then that whole thing in the 1990's, him calling out Pierce Brosnan, it's all so strange and so unnecessary.

Paraphrasing Timothy Dalton, "you had to be crazy to take over for Connery in 1969". It's a sad irony that the same brashness and bravado that gave Lazenby the nerve and ability to replace Sean Connery in 1969, are the same traits that probably led to his undoing. I think it has become very evident that his impolite behavior and arrogance cost him a decent film career in the United States and United Kingdom.

Poor George... He's just a resentful, cranky, old bastard who was let go after his 1st time out the gate. Didn't really have an opportunity to develope his version of the character. Maybe he was doomed to fail. Everyone assumed that with the departure of Sean Connery, the franchise was dead. No one at the time could've guessed that it would've endured for this long.

Bottom line is OHMSS did poorly upon its original release and the producers panicked to save, what they thought was a sinking ship. A shame too, because I think it's the most poigniant and timeless films of the entire series. That's why they gave Sean Connery anything he wanted to make DAF and he barely made an effort to make it any good. I think if Lazenby was given the chance, he'd have strived to make DAF better than it was.

People seem to forget that about great movies. I mean, yes... some become instant blockbusters the minute they're distributed (Goldfinger, Star Wars, Titanic, Avatar, etc.). Then there are others (The Godfather, The Deer Hunter, Scarface), that although originally did poorly at the box office, over time, became GREAT cinematic theater.

I think George had his opportunity taken away from him too soon. Who knows how the future would've played out if he was given his 6 instead of Roger Moore. The 70's would've been an entirely different decade altogether & poor George wouldn't be such a resentful, cranky, old bastard.

#11 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

I know people who worked on OHMSS and they have always disputed Lazenby's claim that Peter Hunt never spoke to him or directed him. The impression I have got is that Lazenby was rather big headed and very full of himself. Indeed, I think that translates into his performance, and in fact works in his favour.

I love OHMSS, it's my personal fav along with FRWL and CR - and I really like Lazenby in the film.

#12 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

It's interesting how stories change over time to where they stray to more like folklore to the teller instead of the facts. Still, it is interesting to hear it. Thanks for sharing, dinovelvet.

#13 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

I guess, though, Lazenby is like Frank Sinatra singing MY WAY: it's all part of his act and he does it on auto-pilot. Like many who have repeated these performances ad infinitum, its all down pat and truths and unthruths are irrelevant. To the speaker - the entertainer - at least.

I can, however, see Charles argument for the truth - though I would suggest that it is for a thorough document like his Charles' book rather than Lazenby performing his routine. Clearly, Lazenby is a very colourful character. Though I suspect he has never been over-blessed in the brains department.

#14 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

To be fair to George (but then I would be), he joined the Bond team at a difficult time. Broccoli and Saltzman's relationship was beginning to break down and Connery had frankly had his fill of them. According to Lewis Gilbert, he was paid a pittance of what he should have been getting.

Lazenby walked into a world of conflict. In that situation I suppose it is easy to point the finger at the new guy. He clearly had an arrogant streak and he has already admitted that he lived Bond out of the studio.

But it wasn't only the world of Bond that had its problems. The Beatles and others did too. It seems to be a recurring streak when you have such talented people together that they will all want to strike out on their own and not be restrained.

Clearly Peter Hunt DID talk to Lazenby during the shoot and George has pointed this out in the very same interview. I think what he was trying to explain that away from the film they didn't communicate. Though I don't know whether that is true or not.

But conflicts have happened throughout film making. Even John Glen and Timothy Dalton fell out in Licence to Kill.

I think Peter Hunt did say he that he would have done Diamonds Are Forever if George had been in it.

It is hard to realize now but George's view that the Bond series was coming to an end was a common view then. Even respected film critic Leslie Halliwell wrote of Diamonds Are Forever that it was a "well worn series".

#15 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:08 PM

Poor George... He's just a resentful, cranky, old bastard who was let go after his 1st time out the gate. Didn't really have an opportunity to develope his version of the character.

I think George had his opportunity taken away from him too soon. Who knows how the future would've played out if he was given his 6 instead of Roger Moore. The 70's would've been an entirely different decade altogether & poor George wouldn't be such a resentful, cranky, old bastard.

Um..... uh..... George Lazenby had NOTHING "taken" from him. He wasn't "let go," he was offered a SEVEN film contract and told the producers to go F-off. George Lazenby was handed the world on a silver platter, but his arrogance was so damn massive he pissed it away. And he STILL goes around telling lies and slandering people from forty years ago. The "poor George" routine is tiring. Enjoy OHMSS, fine, but George Lazenby has earn ZERO sympathy. Karma is a bitch.

Edited by Binyamin, 24 June 2011 - 06:14 PM.

#16 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

Um..... uh..... George Lazenby had NOTHING "taken" from him. He wasn't "let go," he was offered a SEVEN film contract and told the producers to go F-off. George Lazenby was handed the world on a silver platter, but his arrogance was so damn massive he pissed it away. And he STILL goes around telling lies and slandering people from forty years ago. The "poor George" routine is tiring. Enjoy OHMSS, fine, but George Lazenby has earn ZERO sympathy. Karma is a bitch.

Everything you say is only with the benefit of hindsight. A seven film contract would be worth nothing if they weren't made. And the Bond thing then was seen by many as being over. Remember George was only 29 and was being advised by many people, who really let him down.

As Goldfinger said "we are speculating wildly" but who knows what would have really happened had George stuck with the role?

#17 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:26 PM

No, it's not hindsight. It is EGO. Lazenby was offered more films but convinced himself he was God's gift to acting.

Even IF there was doubt about the series continuing, he could have done one film at a time. We're talking about an unknown actor who was lifted from obscurity into the role of his life, and decided he knew better. He threw it away.

Why, exactly, should anybody feel sorry for him while he bad-mouths everybody he worked with, LIES about the past to make himself look good, and blames everybody but HIMSELF for stupid decisions?

Edited by Binyamin, 24 June 2011 - 11:27 PM.

#18 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:05 AM

Even IF there was doubt about the series continuing, he could have done one film at a time. We're talking about an unknown actor who was lifted from obscurity into the role of his life, and decided he knew better. He threw it away.

You could almost be writing the words to the Boris Flats song "Lazenby" there. He was advised that he would be able to get other films. He may have thought he was god's gift to acting but that would have been because there were those around him who told him that he was.

Why, exactly, should anybody feel sorry for him while he bad-mouths everybody he worked with, LIES about the past to make himself look good, and blames everybody but HIMSELF for stupid decisions?

George doesn't ask anybody to feel sorry for him. He is on record as saying that he can only blame himself. But to think that OHMSS was the only Bond film to have these production problems is incorrect and to pin it all on George is also a mistake.

The role has never left him. Though you say he walked away, he would have never been able to and he was always the 'other feller' until Tim Dalton came along. And here we are 42 years later, still debating it!

If George does bring out his autobiography next year, it will be an interesting read. No film has been so analysed so much. I can't see how he can be anything but honest and open.

#19 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:50 AM

I guess, though, Lazenby is like Frank Sinatra singing MY WAY: it's all part of his act and he does it on auto-pilot. Like many who have repeated these performances ad infinitum, its all down pat and truths and unthruths are irrelevant. To the speaker - the entertainer - at least.

I can, however, see Charles argument for the truth - though I would suggest that it is for a thorough document like his Charles' book rather than Lazenby performing his routine. Clearly, Lazenby is a very colourful character. Though I suspect he has never been over-blessed in the brains department.

Quite. Although, I dare say there is a kernel of truth to the "not talking" story. Obviously not for the whole shoot, though. Maybe for a day, or whatever.

#20 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:14 AM

Quite. Although, I dare say there is a kernel of truth to the "not talking" story. Obviously not for the whole shoot, though. Maybe for a day, or whatever.

Agreed, and it's probably the one incident that Lazenby distorts into claiming it was for the entire film.

Peter Hunt has admitted he kept Lazenby cooped up all day without talking to him for the scene where they shot Tracy's murder. Hunt did it to get Lazenby mad and to ramp up the emotion for the scene.

It's clear the tactic worked - Lazenby looks so emotional, raw and shattered in the scene. I think it's an exceptional piece of work for a first time actor.

And obviously it would not have been much of a tactic to generate emotion from him if he hadn't been talking to Lazenby throughout filming.

#21 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:19 AM

Agreed, and it's probably the one incident that Lazenby distorts into claiming it was for the entire film.

Peter Hunt has admitted he kept Lazenby cooped up all day without talking to him for the scene where they shot Tracy's murder. Hunt did it to get Lazenby mad and to ramp up the emotion for the scene.

It's clear the tactic worked - Lazenby looks so emotional, raw and shattered in the scene. I think it's an exceptional piece of work for a first time actor.

And obviously it would not have been much of a tactic to generate emotion from him if he hadn't been talking to Lazenby throughout filming.

I accidentally gave this post a -1 instead of a +1. Sorry! :S

#22 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

I seem to remember that story - Hunt not talking to Lazenby - has always been told in the "that day"-version until about the mid 90's or so. The entire film would have been a ridiculous claim and - apart from many witnesses able to attest to the contrary - quite impossible for a director and the actors. I also seem to remember Hunt claimed to have kept his distance from Lazenby on that day on purpose to invoke in him a feeling of loneliness and loss.

#23 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

The Godfather, The Deer Hunter, Scarface I don't think any of these did poorly on original release. In fact The Godfather was a huge hit. But point taken.