9 replies to this topic

#1 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

I think Lazenby came in at the perfect time for being 007. As much as I had hoped Connery would have starred in this movie, I now feel like Lazenby was the Bond for this film. It just wouldn't have worked with Connery. This is one of the best stories ever written by Fleming, and the music, atmosphere and story just fit with someone like Lazenby in the role. People tend to forget him as 007, heck, I even forgot he played Bond a while back since he is rarely mentioned. It's like, unless you're Connery, Brosnan or Moore you aren't a Bond. I highly disagree. I feel like Lazenby and Dalton, were quite underrated as Bond. At the same time, I don't think Diamonds would have fit Lazenby. But yeah, after seeing this film more recently, I have begun to grow on it. I mean, look at the end of the film, do you think that Connery would have been able to pull of such a sad scene? I don't think so. But Dalton sure could. One one hit 007 is still a 007 in my book.

#2 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:55 PM

You start way too many topics.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

I think Lazenby came in at the perfect time for being 007. As much as I had hoped Connery would have starred in this movie, I now feel like Lazenby was the Bond for this film. It just wouldn't have worked with Connery. This is one of the best stories ever written by Fleming, and the music, atmosphere and story just fit with someone like Lazenby in the role. People tend to forget him as 007, heck, I even forgot he played Bond a while back since he is rarely mentioned. It's like, unless you're Connery, Brosnan or Moore you aren't a Bond. I highly disagree. I feel like Lazenby and Dalton, were quite underrated as Bond. At the same time, I don't think Diamonds would have fit Lazenby. But yeah, after seeing this film more recently, I have begun to grow on it. I mean, look at the end of the film, do you think that Connery would have been able to pull of such a sad scene? I don't think so. But Dalton sure could. One one hit 007 is still a 007 in my book.

I think you're missing the point of a discussion forum. A new topic is supposed to spark a robust discussion whereas yours are either an easily answered question or a lengthy and haphazard observation on a topic that has already been discussed over a hundred times.

#4 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

Yes.

#5 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:52 PM

I think you're missing the point of a discussion forum. A new topic is supposed to spark a robust discussion whereas yours are either an easily answered question or a lengthy and haphazard observation on a topic that has already been discussed over a hundred times.

And the subject lines need to be more appropriate for the discussion that is supposed to follow. I thought I was clicking on a post about "You Know My Name" by Chris Cornell, not a dissertation on Lazenby, which could have been accommodated by any of the other existing threads.

You're right. I should have been more specific. My bad. I will do in the future.

#6 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:59 AM

And the subject lines need to be more appropriate for the discussion that is supposed to follow. I thought I was clicking on a post about "You Know My Name" by Chris Cornell, not a dissertation on Lazenby, which could have been accommodated by any of the other existing threads.

You're right. I should have been more specific. My bad. I will do in the future.

I don't have an opinion on your thread title, but I like your defense of Lazenby. He does a good job in OHMSS, and I give him credit for doing so well despite it being his first time, and doing on such a huge stage.

I've seen him in other films that he did in Asia, and I think had he not hurt his reputation with his behavior during his tenure as Bond that he could of been a decent action star in the West.

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:35 AM

Even if Lazenby only did one more Bond film, his career could have taken a whole new direction than it did. Of course it didn't help that Bruce Lee passed on before they were able to do a movie together, I think that could have helped Lazenby's career as well.

It just wasn't meant to be...

#8 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:36 AM

I mean, look at the end of the film, do you think that Connery would have been able to pull of such a sad scene? I don't think so.

I´m sure Connery would have been a million times better and more poignant.

#9 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

I always mention this everytime someone asks if Connery would have been better in OHMSS.

The truth is, yes he would be better than Lazenby, there's no arguing that. However had Connery stayed on as Bond would we have gotten the same film? I don't believe so. I think that one of the reasons Peter Hunt was able to push through the notion of doing a faithful adaption of the novel was that he was working with a clean slate. Had Connery not been so bored with YOLT and stayed on, who knows what we could have gotten, perhaps they would have tried to top that film as well. Heck, we could have ended up with Connery phoning it in even worse than he did on YOLT.

#10 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

Lazenby was perfect.