This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What medium are you using to consume CARTE BLANCHE?

22 replies to this topic

Poll: What medium are you using to consume CARTE BLANCHE?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What medium are you using to consume CARTE BLANCHE?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

iPad 2 for me although I also own a copy of the US hardcover edition for my collection.

#2 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

UK Hardcover here.

#3 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

UK ebook, on my phone (not an Apple product :))... Dunno if there are several ebook editions, but mine has the regular UK cover artwork.

#4 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:59 PM

US Hardcover

#5 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:27 AM

US hardcover, ordered from Amazon.

#6 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:41 AM

On a plate, with a knife and fork; it's quite delicious, and all the fiber makes it quite nutritious, as well! ;)

#7 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

I'm using the famous medium whoopi goldberg from the film Ghost who is telling me just what Ian Fleming thinks of Carte Blanche.

Edited by Jump James, 15 June 2011 - 06:13 AM.

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

The medium of dance.

I was consuming through the medium Derek Acorah but the spirits channelled via his powers kept telling me that James Bond in Carte Blanche had lovely silvery hair and once had a trial for Liverpewl; I remain sceptical.

#9 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:31 AM

Medium? How about XXL?

#10 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:57 PM

Sitting on a bench and wait until the Spanish edition arrives to Argentina...

Thanks mom for having me in the bottom of the third world :angry: :lol:

#11 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

US Hardcover from Amazon.ca

#12 MuppetFeet

MuppetFeet

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

Kindle ebook and US Hardcover to collect

#13 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

My UK hardcover, but I'm taking two of the U.S. copies to the signing here in L.A. - One for me, one for the lovely Miss Sterling.

*Grandpa Simpson voice* All you young whipper-snappers and your iPads, wireless phones and CD's...Back in my day, we read books and listened to records...which was the style at the time...I don't remember anyone complaining! Lousy kids....*grumble*

#14 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:52 PM

US Hardcover

#15 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

Kindle. Loving it. Feel no need to collect the physical thing.

#16 chileanoperative

chileanoperative

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

Im reading it as an ebook. I loved Felicity Willing, the book couldve done with more of her instead of that znnoying Jordaan woman.

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

UK hardcover. I'd been planning to buy a Kindle and make CARTE BLANCHE my first download, but Kindle books strike me as very overpriced, so I'll continue to do it the old-fashioned way for the time being.

#18 TCK

TCK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

French hardcover. I know I'm wrong and I should read it in the English hardcover, but I couldn't resist. Perhaps later.

#19 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:25 AM

UK hardcover. I'd been planning to buy a Kindle and make CARTE BLANCHE my first download, but Kindle books strike me as very overpriced, so I'll continue to do it the old-fashioned way for the time being.

New Kindle books are typically half the price of the hardcover and older books are much less. I sold my Kindle but now use the Kindle and iBooks app on my iPad.

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

New Kindle books are typically half the price of the hardcover and older books are much less.

Amazon in Britain are currently asking £9.99 for the CARTE BLANCHE hardback (which you can buy for rather less in supermarkets), and £9.99 for the Kindle edition.

Another recent hardback I'm interested in is SATORI, Don Winslow's sequel to Trevanian's SHIBUMI. The hardback is £7.79 and the Kindle edition is 20p more expensive at £7.99.

Of course, once you factor in postage and packing, the Kindle edition comes out cheaper, but I still don't see Kindle editions as a good deal. Consider the production cost of a book versus the production cost of a download.

If Kindle editions were a couple of quid a pop, I'd buy a Kindle and be absolutely inseparable from it. But the prices don't strike me as right.

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of the Kindle, and indeed I'm keen to embrace this technology, but I just don't see any value for money here.

I do realise that the price of Kindle editions isn't entirely within Amazon's control, but just think of the sales figures if Kindle editions were much less expensive. Amazon would have the world reading like never before, the format would really take off, and I for one would be giving them bags of my cash.

(There's also the point that far too many of my favourite books aren't available in the Kindle store and probably never will be.)

#21 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

French hardcover. I know I'm wrong and I should read it in the English hardcover, but I couldn't resist. Perhaps later.

I don't know the quality of the French translation, but I'd say Carte Blanche probably translates well: its main interest is in the thriller yarn, not in the literary quality of the writing.

#22 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

I read the UK hardcover edition but also got the Kindle edition & will re-read it on my iPad.

New Kindle books are typically half the price of the hardcover and older books are much less.

Amazon in Britain are currently asking £9.99 for the CARTE BLANCHE hardback (which you can buy for rather less in supermarkets), and £9.99 for the Kindle edition.

Another recent hardback I'm interested in is SATORI, Don Winslow's sequel to Trevanian's SHIBUMI. The hardback is £7.79 and the Kindle edition is 20p more expensive at £7.99.

Of course, once you factor in postage and packing, the Kindle edition comes out cheaper, but I still don't see Kindle editions as a good deal. Consider the production cost of a book versus the production cost of a download.

If Kindle editions were a couple of quid a pop, I'd buy a Kindle and be absolutely inseparable from it. But the prices don't strike me as right.

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of the Kindle, and indeed I'm keen to embrace this technology, but I just don't see any value for money here.

I do realise that the price of Kindle editions isn't entirely within Amazon's control, but just think of the sales figures if Kindle editions were much less expensive. Amazon would have the world reading like never before, the format would really take off, and I for one would be giving them bags of my cash.

(There's also the point that far too many of my favourite books aren't available in the Kindle store and probably never will be.)

The publishing industry is following the same business model that was so successful for the music industry. ;)

#23 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

Turned out to be the audio book for me. I'm not that much of a reader, so I lose interest quite easily. Since It was being told for me, I could sit back in the dark and pay full attention.