12 replies to this topic

#1 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

In FRWL, when Tania asks Bond if she's as quite exciting as those Western girls, Bond says, 'Once when I was with Anne in Tokyo, we had an interesting experience...'
Or with M? According to subtitles he says M. Visiting a geisha house, perhaps? No wonder that M turns off the tape recorder hastily.
As far as I know, there are lots of mistakes in subtitles. Besides, in the original script Bond says Anne. But if it's a Russian girl Anne then why in Tokyo? It doesn't make sense. And if it is M, his reaction is logical.
Which word do you hear? Anne or M?

Edited by Grubozaboyschikov, 11 June 2011 - 05:15 PM.

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

M

#3 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

Never even thought about "Anne". Would not be very tactful to chat about a girl with another girl.

#4 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

In FRWL, when Tania asks Bond if she's as quite exciting as those Western girls, Bond says, 'Once when I was with Anne in Tokyo, we had an interesting experience...'
Or with M? According to subtitles he says M. Visiting a geisha house, perhaps? No wonder that M turns off the tape recorder hastily.
As far as I know, there are lots of mistakes in subtitles. Besides, in the original script Bond says Anne. But if it's a Russian girl Anne then why in Tokyo? It doesn't make sense. And if it is M, his reaction is logical.

The name "Anne" was actually contained in a version of the FRWL release script prepared by the studio, and is likely the source of the confusion. It's my surmise that whoever was responsible for preparing this verion (perhaps a transcriber?) was unfamiliar with Bond's world and typed out the word he/she believed was used in the film.

#5 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

The name "Anne" was actually contained in a version of the FRWL release script prepared by the studio, and is likely the source of the confusion. It's my surmise that whoever was responsible for preparing this verion (perhaps a transcriber?) was unfamiliar with Bond's world and typed out the word he/she believed was used in the film.

Never heard about Anne in a FRWL script, quite interesting. Your explanation is probably spot on.

#6 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:37 PM

Never heard about Anne in a FRWL script, quite interesting. Your explanation is probably spot on.

Just to clarify (and please may an insider correct me if I'm wrong), a release script is prepared after filming and is used to assist in subtitling and dubbing the film for release in various markets. It's this version that contained the name "Anne" in this scene, rather than "M", the word actually spoken in the film.

#7 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

BTW, have you noticed that Tokyo is actually mentioned twice in the movie?
Grant says to Bond, 'We sweated your recognition code out of one of your men in Tokyo'.

Out of M, perhaps? While Bond was having fun with a geisha? Just kidding. :P :P :P

Edited by Grubozaboyschikov, 11 June 2011 - 07:01 PM.

#8 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

Henderson: You've never been to Japan before, have you?
Bond: No, never.

#9 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:49 PM

Henderson: You've never been to Japan before, have you?
Bond: No, never.

Considering it's Roal Dahl's Henderson - that could have easily been a euphemism.

#10 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

This part of FRWL has always been fascinating to me -- What "interesting experience?" Can you imagine Bond and Bernard Lee's M hanging out at club together in Tokyo? "007... if you ever tell anybody about this, I'll have you killed." And the most hilarious part is Bond KNOWS that M will be playing back the tape in a briefing -- he sets up a spar with M even while 10,000 miles away! Brilliant.

#11 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

M: "This time no slip-ups, or if we're both in trouble.

And remember 007: bros before hoes."

#12 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

The Argentinean VHS released subtitled this in Spanish correctly, "...with M in Tokio", though the R1 SE and UE DVDs Spanish subtitles make the "Anne" mistake.

#13 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

Of course.... it's possible that M's first name IS ACTUALLY ANNE.