jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

Some interesting stuff here;
I definitely fall into the pro X-Men FC camp;
I thought Vaughn did a 'first class' job (sorry) and I'd like to see him get a crack at a Bond film.
I also would love to see Fassbender take over from Craig when the time is right...
As for comic book films, I've yet to see one that beats Donner's original "Superman-The Movie".

#32 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:17 AM

Grew up on Batman comics. Trying to remember the one wherein the World's Greatest Detective asked somebody, how does that work? Also the one wherein young Wayne went to bumfreak-nowhere to kill himself cuz his feelings had a boo-boo. Nolan built his Wayne/Batman around inherently un-Wayne/Batman attributes, how could I not despise it? Then he goes and makes a film about Gotham supposedly needing its Dark Knight, only to have not one but two boatloads of Gothamites in a physical/ethical jam do just fine without him, or without even referencing him. The man can't tell a coherent or meaningful Batman story, screws up basic character motivations (or just eliminates them i.e. the Joker), and cast the most un-Wayne/Batman actor imaginable as Wayne/Batman (watching Bale move through those films is like watching bread dough rising, except with the dough I know at least I'll get some toast out of it).

I'm sure Bruce Wayne has "played dumb" on many occasions, as this happened quite often in "Batman: The Animated Series". And given all the inspiration Nolan took from the Bond films, I wouldn't be surprised if he was purposely trying to mimic the Bond/Q dynamic during Wayne's interaction with Lucius Fox. Bond is supposed to be an incredibly intelligent, well-read man, as well, but when it comes to extreme scientific jargon, Q is and should be the guy he relies on.

I disagree with most of the rest of your points, and I especially take issue with your assessment of Christian Bale as the "most un-Wayne/Batman actor imaginable". I think Bale is the most perfect actor to ever play Bruce Wayne (although I prefer Keaton as Batman), and I think it's all the more fitting that they cast a guy who's a bit of a nutjob himself to play a character who's arguably psychotic. ;)

I've come to realize more and more when I've gotten into debates with other comic fans about the pros and cons of "TDK" that it's just not right to put it up against movies like "Superman" or the "X-Men" films because it feels so out of place in that genre and much more at home as a "crime drama". And given that Batman isn't even a superhero, I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

#33 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

Grew up on Batman comics. Trying to remember the one wherein the World's Greatest Detective asked somebody, how does that work? Also the one wherein young Wayne went to bumfreak-nowhere to kill himself cuz his feelings had a boo-boo. Nolan built his Wayne/Batman around inherently un-Wayne/Batman attributes, how could I not despise it? Then he goes and makes a film about Gotham supposedly needing its Dark Knight, only to have not one but two boatloads of Gothamites in a physical/ethical jam do just fine without him, or without even referencing him. The man can't tell a coherent or meaningful Batman story, screws up basic character motivations (or just eliminates them i.e. the Joker), and cast the most un-Wayne/Batman actor imaginable as Wayne/Batman (watching Bale move through those films is like watching bread dough rising, except with the dough I know at least I'll get some toast out of it).

I'm sure Bruce Wayne has "played dumb" on many occasions, as this happened quite often in "Batman: The Animated Series". And given all the inspiration Nolan took from the Bond films, I wouldn't be surprised if he was purposely trying to mimic the Bond/Q dynamic during Wayne's interaction with Lucius Fox. Bond is supposed to be an incredibly intelligent, well-read man, as well, but when it comes to extreme scientific jargon, Q is and should be the guy he relies on.

Practically the entire history of Batman comics would say otherwise, Wayne always does his own science/analysis/inventions/etc. What the bat cave, and everything in it, all of which Wayne built/created, is for, it's his own personal laboratory/mini-factory. He's a self-made genius stemming from the tragic events in his childhood (not some groveling emo-boy with a death wish). The Nolan/Bale interpretation reminds of something Dave Sim would come up with, as a parody (wait, he did already with his amazing Roach creation, lol).

#34 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:37 AM

Practically the entire history of Batman comics would say otherwise, Wayne always does his own science/analysis/inventions/etc. What the bat cave, and everything in it, all of which Wayne built/created, is for, it's his own personal laboratory/mini-factory. He's a self-made genius stemming from the tragic events in his childhood (not some groveling emo-boy with a death wish). The Nolan/Bale interpretation reminds of something Dave Sim would come up with, as a parody (wait, he did already with his amazing Roach creation, lol).

I agree with you to an extent, but like I said, given that I believe Nolan was truly going for a Bond/Q relationship with the whole Wayne/Fox dynamic, it wouldn't make sense for Wayne to need someone like Fox if he possessed all of his own technological savvy.

#35 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:22 AM

I agree with you to an extent, but like I said, given that I believe Nolan was truly going for a Bond/Q relationship with the whole Wayne/Fox dynamic, it wouldn't make sense for Wayne to need someone like Fox if he possessed all of his own technological savvy.

That's my point: Nolan crafted his Wayne/Batman on top of an un-Wayne/Batman foundation. Just doesn't work for me at all.

#36 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:14 AM

the worst for me was when fox explained the process of developing an antidote in batman begins for scarecrow's fear gas and wayne seems like an idiot having no idea what he is talking about.

#37 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

To be fair, Fox is in the comics and he does play a similar role as he does in the movies. Just not to that extent. Nolan does show Bruce's intelligence in drips and drabs, but I actually found that in the novelizations for both movies written by Denny Oneil (longtime Batman writer) these things were fleshed out more.

My whole t hing is, if you were gonna add a side character like Fox, why not throw in Dr Leslie Thompkins? She was also a surgeon at the same hospital with Thomas Wayne, she was a close family friend and frequently treats Bruce's injuries. I'm sure they could have fit that kind of person in.

#38 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

with all of the British directors taking on superhero films and British actors who are playing superheros, would anybody else like to see a Captain Britain film at some point down the road?

#39 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

Too obscure, I'm afraid. I suspect we rather get SPICE GIRLS II.

#40 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

with all of the British directors taking on superhero films and British actors who are playing superheros, would anybody else like to see a Captain Britain film at some point down the road?

Would never happen. Hollywood action flicks only aim at a very specific demographic - American male teenagers.

#41 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

Would never happen. Hollywood action flicks only aim at a very specific demographic - American male teenagers.

I wouldn't say never. Very unlikely, yes. James Bond has done pretty well for himself as a British "action hero".

it seems like with the recent superhero films they have slowly been becoming more global so maybe they will be more willing to take a chance on more lesser known heroes.

Edited by Bucky, 16 June 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#42 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

I would beg to differ. The "Ocean's" series are for sure caper action flicks but they target an older audience. Tarantino also goes a little older and maturer but still just as action packed as a lot of films. I think our problem is that we associate action with explosions, violence and nudity which kind of innately lines itself with teenage male interest when the reality Hollywood action flicks cover a wider variety.

In the regards to a Captain Britain film, that would just be ridiculous.