4 replies to this topic

#1 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 03:00 AM

I feel really bad about this, but I did try, folks, I really did. After my earlier spats this year on the boards with Bondpurist, I went back and watched the Dalton films again, hoping that time would change the way I look at the man and his films....but, it didn't quite do the trick. I really just don't like the guy. He's very unlikable, stiff, and unbelievable to me as Bond. The man doesn't make you believe he's Bond. He makes you believe he's one of the villains Connery would have gone against back in the 60s. Who sneers more, Dalton's Bond or Largo? I think Largo actually smiled once, so the point goes to Largo. I really don't want to start anything with anyone, but I did want it known that I tried to get into Dalton's movies, because I know a lot of you guys here like the man a lot. I respect that, but I just couldn't get into them.

I just watched the Bond girls are Forever thing on AMC, and I really just thought Dalton came across as a jerk. I'm sorry, guys, that's just the way I feel.

#2 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 05:39 AM

I didn't see the Bond Girls show, Irishcrown. What made you think Dalton was a jerk (just curious - I'm definitely not being defensive as I'm no Dalton fan).

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 07:28 PM

I respect that you at least went back and tried to give Dalton a chance, Irish Crown, rather than just saying he sucks, period. You don't like Dalton, I do, but I have no problem with you stating so here. This is a forum, after all.

As far as his being a jerk, I haven't seen the AMC documentary yet, but I got the idea he didn't like doing publicity. I recall an interview in the old Bondage fan club magazine where he was very short with the interviewer, like he couldn't figure out why he was so interested in talking with him.

Another time, I saw an interview where a person asked him on television to say "Bond, James Bond" and he said something like "Go and see the film." I understand he was a private guy, but his relationship with the press sure didn't help him be accepted as Bond much. You give up certain things when you become somebody in the limelight and he just didn't handle it well. Maybe that's why he's stuck in low-profile Family Channel movies and takes supporting roles in bombs. Then again, maybe that's what he wants.

#4 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 12:30 PM

well I dont think he was a jerk, but he was totally unlikeable. Sure 007 should get in touch with his feelings, and they should be incorporated in his work, but u gotta do it with keeping the tux on.

#5 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 05:10 PM

Look at the difference between Pierce and Dalton in how they deal with the press. Brosnan and Moore probably have dealt with the press the best of the actors who have played Bond. Connery had it the worst from the press, and I don't blame him at all. Dalton should have known better about the publicity he was going to get playing Bond.