16 replies to this topic

#1 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:47 AM

Check out this rare Licence to Kill promo on ABC and if you watch at a little after :20, you will notice the scene where Bond knocks over Q, and instead of just stopping like he does in the film, he fires! I'm not sure if this was just meant for the promo since the audience wouldn't be aware of who he's shooting anyway, or if they were actually considering shooting Q for the film. Interesting.

#2 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

That's interesting, I wonder if originally Bond did fire but the split second before he pulled the trigger he realized it was Q and switched his aim.

#3 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

That's interesting, I wonder if originally Bond did fire but the split second before he pulled the trigger he realized it was Q and switched his aim.

I hope that's what happened. But interesting if he did shoot him and Q came prepared with a bullet-proof vest. I'm sure he would be prepared for going out in the field, even though he was on leave.

#4 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:21 AM

Maybe his gun went off prematurely. Even Bond has that problem sometimes.

Edited by Binyamin, 19 May 2011 - 01:27 AM.

#5 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:32 AM

Or that was the unused version of the scene:

PAM: My God! You shot him! He's dead!

BOND: Oh bloody hell. What a damn shame. But look at the cool stuff he brought with him!

#6 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:04 AM

Upon watching that second-long clip a few times, I think the flash and gunshot sound effect may have been added for the advert. Either that or it was an unused take, as the lighting and camera angle appear different from the finished product. It may even have been filmed just for use in adverts. I've seen bits like that before ("I'm Octopussy"; "Wot I do for England!` etc).

It`s not something I intend to obsess over (Nice clip, though - I wish I`d seen something like it in `89).

Edited by AMC Hornet, 19 May 2011 - 03:05 AM.

#7 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:54 AM

I agree with AMC Hornet. It was just a sound clip. Great spot though.

#8 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

Which bit are you looking at? Where Bond fires at someone on the ground in his dinner suit? Isn't that from the bit where he's attacked after trying to snipe at Sanchez through his window?

#9 scissorpuppy007

scissorpuppy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

Watching tv spots years after the release is always interesting. Pretty impressive CGI 007 logo for the time. Also, This may have been the first time the "thiner" 007 logo was used, all the posters and ad materials I have seen features the "fatter" 00 section of the logo. The "thinner" logo was used with Brosnan's film promotions.

#10 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

It's from the deleted scene where Bond bursts into his hotel room and shoots Dudley Moore.

#11 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

That's a really good ad.

#12 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

This may have been the first time the "thinner" 007 logo was used, all the posters and ad materials I have seen features the "fatter" 00 section of the logo. The "thinner" logo was used with Brosnan's film promotions.

It's not the "thinner" logo; the 00s are a bit wider than that, while the 7 is still the same "fat" shape it'd always been.

You could say it's a... "transitional" logo. ;)

#13 scissorpuppy007

scissorpuppy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

This may have been the first time the "thinner" 007 logo was used, all the posters and ad materials I have seen features the "fatter" 00 section of the logo. The "thinner" logo was used with Brosnan's film promotions.

It's not the "thinner" logo; the 00s are a bit wider than that, while the 7 is still the same "fat" shape it'd always been.

You could say it's a... "transitional" logo. ;)

Compared to the logo on this poster, the tv spot "00" section is "thinner" and closer to the design used in the Brosnan era.
Yeah, the 7 has remained the same for some time now.
http://4.bp.blogspot...600/License.jpg

#14 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

Compared to the logo on this poster, the tv spot "00" section is "thinner" and closer to the design used in the Brosnan era.

No it isn't; it's exactly the same. It's a bit squashed down because it's not 2D, but it's the standard 80's 007 logo.

#15 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

This may have been the first time the "thiner" 007 logo was used, all the posters and ad materials I have seen features the "fatter" 00 section of the logo. The "thinner" logo was used with Brosnan's film promotions.

They did the same thing with Sean. First a "thinner" 007 was used, within a few years all the posters and films had a "fatter" Connery. Although probably all-you-can-eat buffets are more to blame than CGI.......

Edited by Binyamin, 19 May 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#16 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:15 PM

Or that was the unused version of the scene:

PAM: My God! You shot him! He's dead!

BOND: Oh bloody hell. What a damn shame. But look at the cool stuff he brought with him!

Ah, so that's where they got Q2 from! :cooltongue:

Posted Image

Hah, no but if they were actually going to kill off Q...that would have just been so messed up. But again, as I mentioned earlier, maybe he had a vest, but who knows. I guess the only person to ask would have to be either Dalton or John Glen. lol

#17 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

Found this in the side bar, good interview:

The parallels between the Brosnan-Craig transfer are really interesting.