94 replies to this topic

#31 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:53 AM

Sounds like a good cold open to introduce us to the Deaververse and get us used to his style before introducing Bond.

#32 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

Did Deaver title his chapters or just write, chapter 1, 2 etc?

Sunday: The Red Danube Chapter 1

Spoiler

#33 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

I knew The Times (London) was going to publish extracts from Saturday 14th and then Mon, Tues, Weds next week, but as I would never condescend to buy such a right wing leaning rag, can anyone fill me in on what the extracts are like?
A brief trawl of the related 007 sites doesn't fill me with much info. The couple of lines I have read suggest the prose is Deaver while the story is Bond. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, at least Deaver isn't trying to impersonate Fleming (as Faulks said he was doing, but wasn't, and Benson clearly wanted to do, but failed) but I've read a few of his novels and the general descriptive style doesn't do much for me.
Anyone else got thoughts?

#34 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

I knew The Times (London) was going to publish extracts from Saturday 14th and then Mon, Tues, Weds next week, but as I would never condescend to buy such a right wing leaning rag, can anyone fill me in on what the extracts are like?
A brief trawl of the related 007 sites doesn't fill me with much info. The couple of lines I have read suggest the prose is Deaver while the story is Bond. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, at least Deaver isn't trying to impersonate Fleming (as Faulks said he was doing, but wasn't, and Benson clearly wanted to do, but failed) but I've read a few of his novels and the general descriptive style doesn't do much for me.
Anyone else got thoughts?

Blimey.

You could always support your local library and read it for free there without harming your firmly stated values. At the same time you can look up the relationship between Hodder & Stoughton, Hachette and the Lagardere Group in France, a sizeable defence contractor. Buying Carte Blanche isn't help a starving publisher, y'know.

The extracts are precisely that, extracts. Until the whole thing's presented to us, no firm conclusions could be reached but instinctive reactions thus far seem to be positive. It may yet be better to travel hopefully than to arrive, but let's see.

#35 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hey, I'm as big a Murdoch hater as they come, but for this the bastard got my pound. Unfortunately, one of the things I bought with it was an introduction to a few billon of his closest advertisers. My spam box was suspiciously full this morning. Good thing I used my junk email.

I'll probably hold off on getting the other extracts. This was terrific tease, and the book isn't too far away.

#36 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

I'll probably hold off on getting the other extracts. This was terrific tease, and the book isn't too far away.

I've avoided these extracts. I didn't stump up the quid, although I'll admit that if this material had been available to read for free on the website I'd have read it.

Still, I'm strangely glad I didn't read them, even though I'm sure they spoil very little indeed. CARTE BLANCHE is what? Two weeks away? Maybe even a little less than two weeks?

I'm sure it'll be perfectly possible to uncover virtually the entire storyline of CARTE BLANCHE a couple of days before publication, and also to read reviews which spoil the plot six ways to Sunday, but, really, why bother?

I'm gonna take CARTE BLANCHE like I take my swimming pools - cold and diving straight in at the deep end.

#37 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:32 PM

I knew The Times (London) was going to publish extracts from Saturday 14th and then Mon, Tues, Weds next week, but as I would never condescend to buy such a right wing leaning rag.

As matter of fact, despite it being owned by Murdoch - over the years it's become diluted and anesthetised. About as right wing as the incumbent coalition. In other words, not.

#38 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:59 AM

For anyone who get the Times tomorrow...I would love a summary or some detail from the extract would be appreciated

#39 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:27 AM

For anyone who get the Times tomorrow...I would love a summary or some detail from the extract would be appreciated

Who said tomorrow never comes?

Further mild spoilers below; the second extract continues straight on from the first and the presumption that things would get frilly seems well borne out.

Spoiler

#40 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:38 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#41 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#42 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

Spoiler

#43 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

Spoiler

I think this might indeed be a nod to Fleming, who supposedly was involved in an operation to block the river in question during WW Two if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Dustin, 16 May 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#44 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for moving my post, Jim, I didn't realsie this thread was up as the title was a bit obscure...
Thanks for anyone who posted info here.
Spoiler

Yes, paying a pound to get a ton of spam just makes me glad I still have my left wing principals! :)

#45 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#46 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

Maybe we can just put a spolier alert on this thread and stop with the tags. Besides, if it's published in The Times, is it really a "spoiler" anymore? I'd say it's news.

Walther PPS, eh? Sounds like a good choice.

Attached Files

#47 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

Maybe we can just put a spolier alert on this thread and stop with the tags. Besides, if it's published in The Times, is it really a "spoiler" anymore? I'd say it's news.

Walther PPS, eh? Sounds like a good choice.

Yes - very wise. Will amend heading.

#48 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

Ok, I'll stay off The Times (not that I actually read it, mind you) and this thread for a few days. It's incredibly exciting but I'll follow Loomis' example and will take a dive right at the deep end (now that I have an idea where the deep end will be ;) ). :tup:

Edited by Dustin, 16 May 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#49 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

So Tuesday will have the final bits of the extract or is there more this week. Cant buy the times dont have a credit card...

#50 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

So Tuesday will have the final bits of the extract or is there more this week. Cant buy the times dont have a credit card...

Cheque book?

I also must give The Times a miss. Not because of any political motive (fine paper and Bonds choice), but because I don't want my first reading of Carte Blanche to be in a newspaper or over the Internet on a computer screen. Bond can only be read in proper book format for me. Besides, these extracts are to try and grab readers who haven't yet decided or even heard of Carte Blanche.

#51 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

Anyone wants to summarize the final extract? just a brief summary would be fine

#52 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

That's probably quite enough of that.

The Irishman Bond has been spying on is called Niall Dunne, a man conflicted over causing death.

Bond drives a Volkswagen Jetta, whatever one of those may be, at speed to intercept the train and...

...runs onto the track while the train bears down on him...

..."He crouched calmly, directly in front of the locomotive which bore down on him at fifty or sixty miles an hour..."

...explosions...

"Then with a rumble and a terrible squeal..."

Duh duh durrrrr.

#53 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:40 AM

Bond drives a Volkswagen Jetta, whatever one of those may be

It's this.

Now, before people squeal about how Bond isn't driving as Aston or a Lotus or a Bentley or similar other classic British sports car, they should remember what Deaver is trying to do: create a Bond novel grounded in reality. It might be nice to see Bond trundle around in his Bentley, but when he's trying to covertly tail a suspect in Serbia, just such a car is going to stick out. Bond needs something incognito, neutral and entirely appropriate for rural Serbia. A Jetta will get him much further than the Continental GT.

#54 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:04 AM

Yes. I was only joking, old freckle.

It's a Serbian police car and Bond's Serb allies are dressed up as police officers.

#55 smudge76

smudge76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

Spoiler

I think this might indeed be a nod to Fleming, who supposedly was involved in an operation to block the river in question during WW Two if I'm not mistaken.

Your thinking of Michael Mason who was working for NI during the war. He was given orders to disrupt the flow traffic through there. He was one of the many men suspected of been an inspiration for 007. He killed two Gestapo men on a train with his bare hands. Tough bloke he is the father to David Mason , if you have read the feather men you know who i am on about, who was officer in welsh guards and sultan of omans army. Michael mason went to cananda before war working as a fur trapper and as a boxer, he was sparring partner to Jack Sharkey for a time.

Another SOE /Section D agent sent to cause havoc in the former yugoslavia during the war was Duane Hudson, another ex Boxer who prefered using his fist to his weapon if he could
http://www.independe...on-1581911.html

#56 smudge76

smudge76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

Also look at this http://en.wikipedia...._for_James_Bond

#57 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

Any news of extract #3 (in today's Times)? Or was that last post #3, Jim?

#58 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

Any news of extract #3 (in today's Times)? Or was that last post #3, Jim?

'Twas.

#59 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

That's me and my legendary discipline. Instead of reading the excerps I'm hunting for new scraps of information. Here's what I found on thrillers4u.com where Carte Blanche is currently "Book of the Moment" (and hopefully not just a momentary event):

Characters
James Bond's story
- Deniable... Dispensable more likely. The price of that '00' tag. The question is... How far do I go?

Beautiful woman's story
- Femme fatale? I'm certainly more than a piece of window dressing.

Arch-villain's story
- Bond and I will cross swords. That's a very old-fashioned expression for the turmoil we will create.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before; at any rate it was news to me.

Edited by Dustin, 18 May 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#60 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hey, that is new. Looks like the site will also have an extract on the 26th.