11 replies to this topic

#1 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 09:50 PM

Well, Pierce WILL do Bond21. That will be his last Bond film. Many people have been discussing who should be Bond #6 (my vote goes to Mr Clive Owen), but the big question is: Will there be a sixth Bond? I mean, there was the 6 year wait, and the Bond franchise just survived that, when Pierce came along, and the series has been going on for 40 years, with spoofs coming along now, and the younger generation tending to liken to action films (damn that Vin Desiel!). So, will the Bond franchise survive after Bond21? My prediction is (and don't hate me for this) that it won't. I think that they will have a 6th Bond for 2007, becuase of the money it will rake in, and thats for merchandising alone. But after that, it looks pretty bleak, and I can't see it making through. Although, I hope it will, at least another 20 years, so a certain person could do his bit for the series;)

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 10:48 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Pierce won't be back for Bond 22...and 23.

#3 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 01:08 AM

So true, Zencat!

#4 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 02:43 AM

Agreed with Zencat. Pierce has the role for as long as he wants, and I'm sure he'll do it for as long as he can. He's certantly aging better than Moore.

As for the question at hand. I think audiences will want more Bond films. So this generation is more into action films, I go to comedies all the time, they arent affected by action films. Niether are dramas, those still do good action too.

Besides, the Bond films still bring in the big bucks.

#5 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 02:47 AM

Yes, there will be a Bond #6, but he damned well better be good, or there won't be a lucky Bond #7.

#6 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 09:49 PM

Ok, you can stop the 'hateful attitude' now. My question was: Will there be a Bond #6? I only said about Pierce, because I think he may not do Bond 22, thats all, the reason for my question being, will the series fade out before then?

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 03:48 PM

I dont think no one has a hateful attitude Carver, some of us are just more passionate than others. If my post came off as hateful, than I apologize :)

Will the series fade? In my opinion, no. There have been many times when it came close: after TMWTGG, after LTK, but the series just keeps coming back, stronger than ever.

#8 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 08 November 2002 - 09:39 PM

Ok, there wasn't any hateful attitude, certainly not you Jimmy Bond, it was probably just the mood I was in yesterday, thats all:) I apologise to those who have replied to this post, sorry:o. BTW, when did the series nearly end after TMWTGG? Was it because it was such a bad film that all Bond fans hated it, or was there any other reason?

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 10:20 AM

Back to the question

Yes

Pierce Brosnan is a dispensible employee.

#10 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 05:43 PM

I don't think it's the Bond franchise we have to worry about fading; it's MGM we should worry about. As has been pointed out in other threads by other posters, if MGM survives but just barely it could mean doom for Bond. Chances are though should MGM falter or wane another company will gobble it up if for no other reason than to get it's grubby little mitts on Bond. Should that happen it virtually guarantee three more films.

The trick when the time comes to picking Bond #6 will be choicing the right guy and quite frankly I don't think that chap has presented himself yet.

#11 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 07:17 PM

Agreed. I think Pierce may be up for Bond 22. I really do. But the trick is to let people know ahead of time who will take over, so people can prep themselves. If all of a sudden, Pierce is done with the series then there's some guy who nobody thinks will do the job well, the series will falter. So like Mr.* said, it's really up to MGM to keep the series going properly without fading away.

#12 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 02:55 AM

I have to agree with carver that Bond will run into problems. in may not be Bond six but eventually a Bond actor is going to come along and is going to be disliked and the movie will flop. Although I believe at some point the series will be revived like it was with Goldeneye.